Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 05, 2004, 12:11 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,684 Posts
HELP! I have messed up a model...

I have a simprop liftoff, that I don't feel like finishing.

I did a few things to it...

I sealed it with poly crylic and primed and painted it. The paint job stinks and I want to remove it and redo it. How can I remove the paint and redo the priming paint job. Its a gloss finish....

Potentially more serious I have cut flaps into the wing, and one is slightly bigger than the other at the root section. Other wise they are identical. How can I fix this?

j
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2004, 11:21 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,684 Posts
help... please...
Old Jun 06, 2004, 01:33 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Sandpaper?

But seriously... Ok, what kind of paint is it?

On the flap, it's bigger at the root section meaning it's wider (a larger percentage of the chord)?
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Jun 06, 2004, 10:05 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,684 Posts
I was thinking sandpaper, but the last time I sanded this paint, it was really gummy, even wet sanding. Its rustoleum high performance spray paint. Good stuff it I was patient and let it dry a day before trying to paint the other side.

As far as the bigger flap (I KNEW I should have used templates!!!) yes, its larger at root chord wise. It's about 4mm larger or rather the other one is 4mm smaller. I actually thought about doing a rough sanding of the wing and then recutting the ailerons and flaps. The side bar is I just got it ready for flying.
Old Jun 06, 2004, 11:34 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
You can try denatured alcohol or paint thinner (mineral spirits). Those _should_ be safe on the foam core, should they migrate that far.

You could just fly it the way it is and see how bad the roll/yaw reaction is to the differential flap. You could try dropping the bigger one slightly less than the smaller.

This is a foam core wing, correct? You can still re-do the flap. Won't be easy, but it's possible.
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Jun 06, 2004, 12:33 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,684 Posts
As crazy as it may seem I am going to box this puppy and chalk it up to experience. I am loosing the will to continue with this model. Its a shame because, I have never flown it. I think the best course is to box it, and fly it later....

j