HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2004, 06:06 PM
Curitiba, PR, BRAZIL
Joined Jul 2003
99 Posts
Discussion
Make your Own PCBs for your R/C stuff

Hi all.

If you´re interested in building some projects but doesn´t know how to make your PCBs, here´s the solution for doing it at home with NO complicated stuff like guys publish around. Hints are for FREE..

http://www.geocities.com/jf_moreira/pcb_en.html
jf_moreira is offline Find More Posts by jf_moreira
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2004, 07:50 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
That's excellent. I had thought to print onto a transparency and use photoresist, buut that is even EASIER.

That should go in the 'hot links' sticky thread.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jun 04, 2004, 08:53 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Never made a pcb before, but this looks easy enough for me to try. Thanks for the nice tutorial.
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Jun 05, 2004, 12:50 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
I've tried this, even with paper meant to do this. I even have a $300 press meant to transfer the image to the pcb.

it doesn't work for me.

only part of the image ever sticks, I don't know why it looks so easy for this guy.
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Jun 05, 2004, 01:01 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,162 Posts
Home etched boards using iron on transfers:

It isn't easy for me either. Simple single sided boards with large traces are not too bad, but even so it is still a messy and troublesome thing to do.

My advice: Be sure the board is PERFECTLY clean (don't even think of touching it), wear old clothes, and expect to ruin or stain something that will pizz off your wife.

My hat is off to those of you that are good at kitchen sink etches!

RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Jun 05, 2004, 12:10 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2004
872 Posts
There is an easier way to do it.
http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/O...oards_240.html
Try this site. They have precoated pcb boards and all the other things needed.
I can usually have a small board finished ready to solder with holes drilled within 30 minutes of the transparancy coming off my printer. Very easy to do after you've done it a few times and are set up.
Ron...
Cas123 is offline Find More Posts by Cas123
Old Jun 05, 2004, 12:22 PM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
I have used a similar technique several times with perfect results.
The key is in using INKJET glossy photo paper.
Some people have found that glossy magazine paper (ie Time) works well too, just use a page with as little colour as possible so you can see it toner!

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Jun 05, 2004, 12:36 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2004
872 Posts
The ideal medium is A4 overhead projector transparancies available at most large news agencies or Stationary stores. ask for laser printer compatable ones as they take the high temperature of a Laser printer better without distorting. For a printer I use an old HP Laserjet4.
But its suprising what you can get away with. Generally forget about using Inkjet printers.
Ron...
Cas123 is offline Find More Posts by Cas123
Old Jun 05, 2004, 02:02 PM
Japan
Joined Mar 2004
173 Posts
I use very fine sandpaper ( waterproof 2000 ) to clean copper board. I have tired scotch brite, more rough sandpaper but this is perfect for me. When I used 200 grit of sandpaper, it have found several cut of pattern after etching. ( can't see it w/o magnifying glass. )

I have never tried photo paper, but I love press-n-peel from www.techniks.com/how_to.htm . Toner transfter system's paper type didn't work well for me. Also I use home-made cheap etching solution. Muratic acid from Lowe's and Hydrogen peroxide from phermacy. I heard sulfuric acid for car battery works.

I use HP4050 Laser printer with normal fuse temp. I have tried lower setting of fuse, but normal setting was better.
lovefool is offline Find More Posts by lovefool
Old Jun 05, 2004, 04:28 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovefool
Toner transfter system's paper type didn't work well for me. Also I use home-made cheap etching solution. Muratic acid from Lowe's and Hydrogen peroxide from phermacy. I heard sulfuric acid for car battery works.
You don't want to use an acid for etching.

An acid reaction will produce bubbles of gas which act to lift the resist from the PCB and thus produces a very irregular edge and the complete loss of thin traces.

*Real* echants, like ferric chloride or amonium persulfate work produce a chemical reaction that produces no gassing so the resist is not lifted and a very sharp edge (thus preserving narrow traces) is produced.

Although it's messy and stains like hell, I still use ferric chloride in preference to amonium persulfate -- mainly because a given amount of solution lasts a lot longer and it doesn't have to be heated to get a quick etch.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Jun 06, 2004, 12:54 AM
Japan
Joined Mar 2004
173 Posts
XJet - thank you for your comment. Actually I have never used a real enchant. When I started PCB making, I have found this home-made enchant on someone's homepage, and I was satisfied with this. I believe etching in this enchant is faster too. Since etching time is short, I usually use chopsticks to move PCB constantly in the enchnat. ( Yes, I see bubbles ) I discard enchant everytime after etching, but it cost a few cents per use. ( $5~$7 for 1Gal Muratic acid, and $1 for one bottle of hydro peoxicide)
lovefool is offline Find More Posts by lovefool
Old Jun 06, 2004, 02:56 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,548 Posts
If you coat the overhead projector film with PVA fiberglass release agent then print on the PVA side the lazor toner comes away cleanly in water -the pva disolves in water .
Stewart
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old Jun 06, 2004, 04:33 PM
Joined Jun 2004
17 Posts
OK one question for all you smarties! Whats a pcb??
rcflyboy66 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyboy66
Old Jun 06, 2004, 05:19 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Hey hey, I know this one. Lemme have it guys !

Well, it is not Polychlorinated Biphenyls -that's a bad bad chemical.

It is -drum roll please- Printed Circuit Board.

-Mike
sorry. couldn't resist. pun intended
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Old Jun 07, 2004, 02:21 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Feb 2004
22 Posts
Tried it once with Epson glossy inkjet photo paper. Results were very decent.
I'll try the pva trick once too.
The trick is AFAIK to use the right type of toner. I know that the original HP toner works good. Many of the refill cartridges appear to work less.

Print on the darkest setting to get the best coverage. Correct minor errors with touch up. and don't touch the part of the paper where the traces will be. The same applies to the pcb. Any trace of grease and the toner will not bind.

EJK
KOEZE is offline Find More Posts by KOEZE