HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2004, 02:49 PM
OKC,OK
Joined Mar 2004
71 Posts
Mods for a dumas sub?

Hello,
Newbie to subs but not RC..Pretty much use wind power on the surface for my travels. My neighbor has a pool and acquired a Dumas Bluefish, I know it is a toy by all accounts, and that is what he will use it for. He is not a builder by anystretch of the imagination so I offered to build it for him. I'm wondering are there any good mods anything I can do as I build this to make it a little better of a boat? Don't want to pump mega $$ into it because it will never see waters out side his pool. Please purists keep the comments of "buy a real sub etc..." to your selves I say that with a smile. We have those kinds of boats in the sailing world as well. Anyway if anyone has built one and has any tips or suggestions (out side of scuttling it hehe). I'd love to hear them. Also what is a decent radio to use w/o spending mega $$? I use a Skysport 6 for my sail boats but that is over kill here.

Thanks in advance

Charlie
cshelden is offline Find More Posts by cshelden
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2004, 07:25 PM
afc
Massachusetts, USA
Joined Jun 2004
227 Posts
Charlie,
Which Dumas boat are your thinking of -- the Akula or the Bluefish?
Both have lots of room for improvement. I have both subs. I modified the Bluefish by extending its hull (so that it contains four 7.2v Nicd packs) and improved the WTC's seal. For the Akula, I made a few hull improvements and modified the manner in which both hull halves are mated. I had posted pictures of the modification on www.marinerc.com. Both subs are nice subs. However in time, these boats limitations will cause you to 'lust' after one of the 'bigger' boats. I ended up getting Engel's Gato (under goes sea trials later this summer).
If you want to see my Dumas modifications (marinerc was taken down), let me know and I will post the old pictures.
~Albert
afc is offline Find More Posts by afc
Old Jun 04, 2004, 08:01 PM
OKC,OK
Joined Mar 2004
71 Posts
yes i'd love to see your mods Albert, may or may not do them just depends I figure if i'm building this for him might as well put some time in and do some simple stuff. BTW this is the Bluefish.

Thanks,
Old Jun 04, 2004, 09:01 PM
afc
Massachusetts, USA
Joined Jun 2004
227 Posts
This is the WTC sealing lid - the rear of the lid is seated under a 'lip'. On the side of lid, guide tabs have been glued into the WTC to prevent lateral slippage of the lid. It still uses vaseline and rubberbands to hold it down - but the seal has never leaked if a bit of care is used.
Last edited by afc; Jun 04, 2004 at 09:26 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2004, 09:11 PM
afc
Massachusetts, USA
Joined Jun 2004
227 Posts
This is the hull after it was cut in half and rebuilt with additional 4" section. It was built up with 1/4" bass stock, ABS sheet, Fiberglass and Bondo.
Old Jun 04, 2004, 09:17 PM
afc
Massachusetts, USA
Joined Jun 2004
227 Posts
With a new sharpened bow and with the extended deck installed. Plastic dive panes were replaced with brass.
Old Jun 04, 2004, 09:21 PM
afc
Massachusetts, USA
Joined Jun 2004
227 Posts
Plastic props replaced with brass props. Brass rudder's control horns also reinstalled inside the hull
Last edited by afc; Jun 04, 2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2004, 09:23 PM
afc
Massachusetts, USA
Joined Jun 2004
227 Posts
Undercoated and ready for final finish.
Old Jun 08, 2004, 09:31 AM
Joined Apr 2004
68 Posts
Charlie:

I'm converting the motor mount in mine to a ballast tank. I'm going to glue it in place, per the instructions. Instead of cutting an opening in it to place the servos, I'll simply use servo tape to attach the servo's to the top. They will lay on their side, instead of sit in the vertical postion, but this will not affect their funtion. I will then have a sealed container, to act as a ballast tank. This will not be a pressurized ballast tank, I'll have to vent it. I've bought a small fuel pump to use a ballast pump. There is a article in the SubCommitte Report detailing how to do this. If you are interested, I could get the issue number.

- Jim
Jim1221160 is offline Find More Posts by Jim1221160
Old Jun 08, 2004, 09:33 AM
Joined Apr 2004
68 Posts
Albert:

I'm glad you are still around. I hated to see the Marine RC site go down.

Are the rear dive planes on your Bluefish operational or static. I'm planning to convert mine to be operational and was hoping to find someone who had already figured this out.

Thanks - Jim
Jim1221160 is offline Find More Posts by Jim1221160
Old Jun 08, 2004, 09:54 PM
afc
Massachusetts, USA
Joined Jun 2004
227 Posts
Jim,
I thought of making the rear dive planes operational, made a few rough sketches and did not pursue it further. If I were to make the planes operational, I would have rebuilt/reinforced the skeg walls with ABS sheet; used brass tubing to make bushings on each side of the skeg to support the shaft through the skeg; and solder a control horn (made from brass strip) to the shaft. When assembled, the control horn would be inside the sub -- very much like Robbe U47's rear dive plane control setup. I think I have seen a picture on the web of another set up. The horn was soldered directly onto the dive plane (like an RC aircraft elevator). Let me know how you make your operational.
regards,
Albert
Old Jul 10, 2004, 01:03 AM
OKC,OK
Joined Mar 2004
71 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I'm going to add a lip and side plates to my hatch cover as well. AS my dive tests of shown some leakage into the radio compartment. I can fill the compartment with water and nothing leaks out and I can fill the flooded areas and nothing leaks in, so this has to be the weak spot. Thanks again.

charlie
Old Aug 21, 2004, 02:48 PM
aka - Knight Hawke
South East Missouri
Joined Dec 2001
236 Posts
New Sub Commander

I just bought A Dumas sub {Bluefish}.

What do you think about running your motors wet. Not in a sealed compartment????

And Do you think the revised W/T compartment is any better than the old?

Tower Hobbies has a rectangular radio tray. I'm thinking on using.

And I'm going to make working rear dive planes on mine.

Does any one know where to get 1/96 scale conning tower add-ons.??

Would you use fiberglass on the inside seam or can you epoxy with cloth??

Joe
Joe Simmons is offline Find More Posts by Joe Simmons
Old Aug 21, 2004, 07:48 PM
brooklyn
Joined Aug 2004
20 Posts
try this deadfish.
http://home.att.net/~cheap-sub/bluefish.html
CheapSub is offline Find More Posts by CheapSub
Old Aug 21, 2004, 10:12 PM
OKC,OK
Joined Mar 2004
71 Posts
I gave up on the poor thing, took a dive 6 feet down in my pond to retrieve it was the last straw. I've since bought a Akula, the bluefish was already built when I got it so maybe I was working with DPO (darn previous owner) craftsmanship