HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2002, 01:06 PM
wad
Joined Jan 2002
18 Posts
1/8 scale Sopwith Pup

Has any one tried the 1/8 scale Sopwith Pup from D & B Sports scale ?

Here's the link

http://www.dbsportandscale.com/sopwith%20pup%20E.htm
wad is offline Find More Posts by wad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2002, 01:13 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
I've built it as an I.C version and I would say its a bit on the heavy side. Those moulded wheels are heavy.

Mike Smart
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jan 12, 2002, 08:41 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
wad, do a search for Mr.Peter Rake i thing he has a plan for this plane.You can blow them up to your required size.He plans are easy and are usuallysp400 powered.i'll check also i thought i just seen it floating around in my collection. enjoy stefanP

Ghost rider requesting a fly by.......
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Jan 14, 2002, 12:46 PM
Lynnwood, WA USA
Joined Jan 2000
547 Posts
I seriously looked at this kit about 18 months ago. There was a pretty good thread on it, but I can't find it using the search engine. Dereck had recalled either seeing it built or had some knowledge of the designer or kitting company. He thought it would be on the heavy side for an electric conversion. This obviously matches up with Mike's comments.

Mike - how much could a good builder save in overall weight by judicious building?

If I was to again consider a 1/8 scale (or slightly larger version) of this plane, I'd probably go with Peter Rake's design, as suggested by Komet44, and scale it up a bit.

One thing I was warned about in relation to the Pup is that the short nose moment make getting the CG difficult for an electrified version. May mean building special battery packs on or close to the firewall.

MMGM
MMGM is offline Find More Posts by MMGM
Last edited by MMGM; Jan 14, 2002 at 12:49 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2002, 06:13 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Wad i have the peter rake plan.36"w.s.&26" fusalog length.the c/g is about 106mm from the front of the cowel.if your interested in the plans let me know.stefanP

Ghost rider requesting a fly by...........
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Jan 15, 2002, 03:49 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
MMGM,

Based on my knowledge of the I.C version, I believe that a pound (16oz) or possibly more could be saved on overall weight.
The moulded wheels are heavy, the spun cowl is relatively heavy, there was a lot of 3mm ply in the IC version and the general construction was 'beefy'. There's no doubt that most of the strip wood could have been taken down one stock size at least.

The problem is, by the time you have discarded the wheels, cowl and replaced the wood, you might as well build from a plan. I'd go with the Peter Rake plan.

Mike

PS, the original David Boddington design is probably around 30 years old and to be fair, at that time I believe it was intended for simple 2 channel R/C (no throttle). No doubt the construction was reflected in it's original purpose.
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Last edited by Mike Smart; Jan 15, 2002 at 03:54 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2002, 04:22 AM
wad
Joined Jan 2002
18 Posts
StefanP,

I would be very interested in the Peter Rake plan,
What motor is it for ?
What are the controls ?
wad is offline Find More Posts by wad
Old Jan 16, 2002, 10:47 AM
Lynnwood, WA USA
Joined Jan 2000
547 Posts
wad,

IIRC, like most of Peter's published plans it is a geared s400 model, with rudder/elevator/throttle controls.

MMGM
MMGM is offline Find More Posts by MMGM
Old Jan 16, 2002, 10:38 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Hi wad,

Although I don not have any experience with the 'Pup', thought you might be interested to see my version of its offspring. I might even build a 'Pup' if I have the plan and time.
Joe Yap is offline Find More Posts by Joe Yap