HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2002, 11:29 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
WWI & II Electric Fun Fly, May 19, 2002

The Modesto Radio Control Club is holding their second annual Electric Fun Fly. While opened to all AMA legal electrics we featured WW I electrics last year and it was a lot of fun. This year we are featuring both World Wars. We do this by allowing only WWI planes during the first 15 minutes of each hour, and WWII planes for 15 minutes at the bottom half hour. This leaves a half hour open out of every hour for any type of electric to fly. The event is Sunday May 19th and is officially a one day event. However we will practice having fun on Saturday as well. We are relocating and extending our runway this year although it will remain pressed dirt most likely. The runway will be about 100 feet east of where it was last year to take it further away from the fence. More details will be posted closer to the event, this will give you build time. While the Germans ruled the skies in last years WWI event, word is that there will be several Spits at this years WWII event including a converted Kyosho Spit and several Hobby Lobby foamies. I suspect we will see some GWS Zeros and others as well. AMA membership is required to fly. Camping is available at our field, with developed camping sites in the park where we fly as well. With Hobby People selling several different Kavan WWI foamies including the Dr-1 triplane getting planes will be easier. So buy now and build for May 19th. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
Last edited by Michael Heer; Jan 30, 2002 at 03:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2002, 03:52 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
In response to a personal message I want to add that the emphasis on the event is fun fly and yes it is open to any AMA legal electric. I like the idea of having a Tiger Moth Squadron flight even though the TM is not from either war. So those of you with GWS Tiger Moths please bring them and we will see how confused we can get. We can also try a Lite Stick squadron in an open flight time slot if there is interest. In response to private e-mails we will have the following two special events. 1) At 10:15 we will have a squadron fun fly for all Tiger Moths on their own channel. At 10:45 we will have the Take it to the Max Squadron fun fly including both Mini and Crazy Max and any Blue Maxs converted to electric. Sign up for your frequency as you arrive on Sunday. First come first fly for these "special events." Mike Heer
Last edited by Michael Heer; Jan 30, 2002 at 03:47 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 09:29 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,296 Posts
"Snoopy" is refitting the control systems on his "Pup" and will be back on the guns at your meet.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jan 30, 2002, 04:14 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
Watch out Snoopy

Baron Von Herr Heer will be ready to paper train your little Pup. Bring any Maxs or TMs that you might have as we will have squadron flights as posted for those park fliers.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 05:28 PM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
"I like the idea of having a Tiger Moth Squadron flight even though the TM is not from either war." --quote

Michael, The Tiger Moth was the principal Primary Trainer used in the Canadian Commonwealth Air Training Plan bases across Canada early in WWll. Although it did not take an active roole in fighting, it certainly contributed to the training of a lot of aircrew that ultimately fought in WWII
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
Old Jan 30, 2002, 06:46 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
Dear Rod:
Thanks for the information. Who would have thought that a plane that came in out in 1919 would be used as a trainer in Canada for World War II. Learn something new almost every day.
But the Max flights will be held as well and I am pretty sure that no one used those as fighters or trainers. I would say positive but that would be a challenge for a tall tale member of our ezone group. MikeHeer PS DC-3s are welcome as are Dakotas and C-47s etc.
Old Feb 07, 2002, 04:23 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 2001
90 Posts
Upcoming wwI and wwII flyin

Hey, Mike. Will the "pressed dirt" be as lumpy as it was last year??
EBob is offline Find More Posts by EBob
Old Feb 07, 2002, 07:20 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
To E-Bob:
I sure hope we don't have many lumps but I can't promise the condition at this early date. Our crack construction crew will start finalizing the new strip in March. Much will depend on the state of the park's equipment as to exactly how smooth the runway will be. We were able to keep the cows out of our field this winter and that is a big plus. I am 90% sure we will have a better and longer runway for this years event. I will update on the field conditions as we get closer to the fun. We are exploring some options with the park for that weekend. I have a vested interest in making sure it is good as my Dr 1 doesn't like bumps on landings or take-offs. With 18 inch props costing $15.00 each I don't want to loose them on a bumpy runway. Michael Heer
Last edited by Michael Heer; Feb 08, 2002 at 04:52 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2002, 12:08 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,296 Posts
Re: Watch out Snoopy

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Heer
Baron Von Herr Heer will be ready to paper train your little Pup.
Snoop has been known to lift his leg on anyone that gives him attitude. And then he just flies off with his scarf waving away!
Old Feb 08, 2002, 04:50 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
Soooo, You try to scare a German pilot with a root beer swilling pup with a bad bladder? I will let my flying do my talking from now on. On a serious note I will have a new Dr 1 foam triplane with me and hopefully my quick moves will allow me to avoid the speed of your pup. Maybe you can get the Sea plane together and bring it over and shame me by flying that plane well off of the reservoir. Does Snoopy have something to fly in the WWII event or is he a one war dog? Baron Von Herr Heer aka Michael Heer
Old Feb 08, 2002, 04:59 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
It is fun getting the e-mail from people planning to come: predicted planes for the event at this early date are: Dr 1, Sopwith Pup, Spad, Albatross. Tiger Moth, Mini Max, Hurricane, Me 109, Spitfire, Corsair, DC-3 and JU-52, GWS Zero. Hope to have a scratch built Ju-2 from 1916 and a 1/5th scale Dr 1. Guest celebrity, Snoopy. Lots of non war related electrics as well.
Old Mar 01, 2002, 11:45 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
Trophies are under construction. Raffle prizes are starting to arrive, MEC home of the power tube and SR Batteries were the first to come in and more have been promised. Get to go out to plot the building of the new runway this weekend. Fun events include a limbo (not under the shade shelter this year), a bomb drop and at the end of the day a two minute limited motor run event AULD glider event that has nothing to do with war planes but this is an electric fun fly with a WW I & II theme, not limitation. We had a glow power 109 conversion crash this past weekend but have been assured it will be repaired in time for the event. Michael Heer
Old Mar 03, 2002, 05:04 AM
Http://www.aerc.biz
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
I don't know if this is insulting or indulging but I could have a B-17G transformed into a Jet ready to fly for the event? Let me know?
drbird is offline Find More Posts by drbird
Old Mar 03, 2002, 06:11 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
Rule No 1 is fun!

It sounds great! The over riding theme is fun. Some of the "World War I" planes last year were there by markings only. Half of the flight time is open flying for any AMA legal electric plane. 15 minutes out of every hour is dedicated to World War I planes. 15 minutes is dedicated to World War II planes. What you are proposing could be classified as an allied secret weapon to win the war. I think pilots would enjoy seeing it, and seeing it fly. Any plane can win the pilots choice award trophy, need not be a war plane at all. Pilots will decide if they want to put a plane in for voting for WWI or WWII plane and pilots present can decide for example if they want to vote for a pretend plane such as yours for best WWII plane or only vote for a "more scale" plane. The voting and trophies are there to add to the fun per pilots request from last year. I suggest that anyone who is coming just for a trophy to stay home. The idea is to come for the fun. My idea of best plane in any of the three classes probably won't win as all the pilots will decide with their votes. Best WWI plane, best WWII plane, Pilots choice open to any plane.
Only 1 of those three trophies per plane. If a plane wins pilot's choice open and WWII he will get best open and second place in WWII will get a trophy. Why? because it is more fun for more planes/people to get awards. Hope to see you there. Michael Heer
PS as stated in an earlier post to win a trophy a plane has to fly at the event. No hanger queens for trophies.
Last edited by Michael Heer; Mar 03, 2002 at 06:14 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2002, 07:18 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Heer
Fun events include a limbo (not under the shade shelter this year)
Michael Heer
OK, now you're talking! Is this going to be one of the "Killer Kombat Limbos" such as that one they held at MWE this year? I'm a woos and headed for home once the rain started so never got to try my hand at that contest. Our Predator Twin was custom made just to win that event. I'd sure like to try this one out!