HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2004, 10:07 PM
Bubble Head SSN 762
Austin Bergstrom, Texas, United States
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
My first SS build past, here's my report card...

Alrighty,

One of my flight instructors stopped by today to take my first SS upstairs. My instructor gave me the spare parts to build this one and all I needed to add was servos and a battery. The plan is a little beat-up, but since this will be my trainer that's not a problem. She went upstairs just fine and had a 4.0 landing.

All I need to do at this point is give the plane more control authority (rudder esp.). I did't really set the mechanical zero of the rudder servo well and I need to move the push rod out to the outermost control horn hole.

I think I may fly it this weekend! Here's two pictures!

Lex

LexTalionis is offline Find More Posts by LexTalionis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2004, 10:21 PM
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!
Knoxville Tyson, Tennesse, United States
Joined Feb 2004
564 Posts
Looks like it ought to "GET ER DONE!!!"
I'd say you'll have a ball with it. The new ones don't look new for long! At least mine don't. A few war wounds make them fly better!
Ron
ronmar1 is offline Find More Posts by ronmar1
Old Jun 03, 2004, 10:26 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Not quite a noob, but almost here...
(Just want to let you know that I may be wrong...)

On the control horn, if you're looking to get more deflection, shouldn't you move the control rod to the innermost hole?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

-uproar90
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Jun 03, 2004, 10:32 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,939 Posts
And it has personality instead of just the out of the box SS. It looks good and I am sure it will fly like a champ.

Uproar90,
You are correct. For the most movement, move the control rod to the outermost hole on the servo arm and the innermost hole on the surface control horn. The outer hole on the servo swings the greatest length arc and in turn will cause the control surface (rudder or elevator) to swing a greater arc if placed in the innermost hole on the control horn on that surface. I am too wordy. Sorry.

Enjoy,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jun 03, 2004, 10:40 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
LcJ - Thats what I was trying to get out as well... I only was thinking of 1/2 of the problem though...

It can make all the difference in the world... (some things you just have to learn the hard way )

LcJ... I just noticed you're from LA... any chance you're in the New Orleans area? and if so, where do you fly?

-uproar90
Old Jun 03, 2004, 10:43 PM
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!
Knoxville Tyson, Tennesse, United States
Joined Feb 2004
564 Posts
It depends on which end of the control rod you're moving. At the servo move out for more travel, at the rudder or working end, move in for more travel.
Ron
ronmar1 is offline Find More Posts by ronmar1
Old Jun 03, 2004, 10:49 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,939 Posts
uproar90
West of Lafayette. At my house. Too lazy to go to far. If you are ever this way, PM me.

LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jun 03, 2004, 10:57 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
LcJ - I may do that... I work for Entergy, and will have to travel that way in the near future to do some computer upgrades for work... (Both Lake Charles and Lafayette areas)

*thinking* I can charge packs on the drive... hehe

-Mike
Old Jun 05, 2004, 10:34 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
Hey Lex,
Congrats on a successful maiden! Wish I was there. We'll hook up Sunday for sure!
Bill
uglyplane is offline Find More Posts by uglyplane