HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 03, 2004, 01:01 PM
Joined May 2004
77 Posts
Update on Alfa Model MiG-15!

I just received an email from Antonín Alfery at Alfa Model. He said the MiG left past week and he estimates it arriving here in 3-4 weeks.
ManWithNoName is offline Find More Posts by ManWithNoName
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2004, 12:31 AM
West Chicago,IL
Joined Oct 2003
241 Posts
cool ...did he said anything about price
bboydeezturb is offline Find More Posts by bboydeezturb
Old Jun 05, 2004, 01:29 AM
Joined May 2004
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboydeezturb
cool ...did he said anything about price
Nope.
Old Jun 07, 2004, 05:30 AM
Zoom-Zoom
Switzerland, ZH, Dietikon
Joined Jun 2004
815 Posts
Hi Guys,

mine will be here early next week!

I can hardly wait, the complete R/C gear, Hacker B20-12-L and Vasafan 55 is ready for installation in the MiG...

By the way - the price over here (Switzerland) is around the 150$ - Mark, including the standard fan.

Best regards

Paco
RoverTomcat is offline Find More Posts by RoverTomcat
Old Jun 07, 2004, 03:08 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Man with no name, or location ...

Arriving where.....in USA at Hobby Lobby. in a few weeks or what.... enlighten us.....

Jim G
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Jun 07, 2004, 03:10 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Rover,

Please give us your early impressions of the the plane.....and what setup you will use for power...Sure would be helpful to us waiting in the wings.

Jim G
Old Jun 07, 2004, 05:54 PM
Joined May 2004
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot44
Man with no name, or location ...

Arriving where.....in USA at Hobby Lobby. in a few weeks or what.... enlighten us.....

Jim G
He didn't say. I hope he ment hobby lobby.
Old Jun 08, 2004, 03:50 AM
Zoom-Zoom
Joined Jun 2004
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot44
Rover,

Please give us your early impressions of the the plane.....and what setup you will use for power...Sure would be helpful to us waiting in the wings.

Jim G
Hiya Jim,

sure - no problem! I'll keep you updated on the progress of the MiG...

By the way, I intend to use the same power setup as in my first e-ducted fan plane, Alfa's Huckebein.

- Hacker B20-12-L
- Vasafan 55
- Hacker Master 18A ESC
- Schulze receiver
- Graupner 1041 Servos

As far as I know, the standard fan that comes with the MiG is the same as in the Huck - it can be used to fly the plane when the stock speed 300 is replaced with something brushless, but with the Vasa, the weight/power ratio of the MiG will be better then 1:1... Which is nice...

Looking at the detail piccies on Alfa's website, it seems like they also improved the plane's aileron pushrod routing - instead of bending it into a "S" shape, it is now routed much less restrictive!

I can hardly wait to lay my hands on the kit..

Best regards - Paco
Old Jun 08, 2004, 05:20 PM
Go for it
Hässelby, Sweden
Joined Jun 2003
401 Posts
The fan unit is a new design from what i've heard.
Looks very similiar though.

Hopefully they will arrive this week to Sweden.

/Terje
teli88 is offline Find More Posts by teli88
Old Jun 08, 2004, 07:53 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,714 Posts
RoverTC, what pack are you planning to use? I have a vasa55 with the hacker b2012L on 3s lipo (3s2p tp2100), good for about 270watts, but have to run a heat sink on the motor for that, also pulls about 27 amps.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Jun 08, 2004, 08:25 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts
Well, It is good to have good power on the Alfa Mig 15. But the way this mig is designed, I do not think it could take too much power. 270 watts may cause a serious issue about overpowered, overweight the Alfa Mig 15, unless you heavily reinforced the body. That would be a very different story then. I think the key to keep it handlaunchable is to build it strong and light as possible
rcguy01 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy01
Old Jun 09, 2004, 08:51 AM
Zoom-Zoom
Joined Jun 2004
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave morris
RoverTC, what pack are you planning to use? I have a vasa55 with the hacker b2012L on 3s lipo (3s2p tp2100), good for about 270watts, but have to run a heat sink on the motor for that, also pulls about 27 amps.
Hi Dave,

I'll use 3s2p 1200 E-Tecs which are okay for 24Amps continous current, and 40Amps peak.

Or maybe, I'll restrict the ESC's power output to around 80% via the transmitter's ATV, this worked fine in the Alfa Huckebein. I just had to make sure that the ESC had enough cooling air streaming over it!

I had an Amp-meter wired in and reduced the ATV while the engine was running so that the amps were around the 15A - Mark.

Still the Vasa would deliver around 450g static thrust - more then enough for the Depron Huck!

I guess that I'll use a bungee to start the MiG though, bad hand launching was what costed me the TA183. With no propeller blast on the elevator, there was no way to compensate my brother-in-law's bad throw. She went vertical, dropped a wing and crashed from about 15m height.

Not an experience I want to have soon again...

Best regards from Zuerich (and 31°C outside) - Paco
Old Jun 09, 2004, 12:15 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,714 Posts
Try launching at 50% power, my minx does the same thing, if you launch at full power it noses up big time, and with no elevator authority,well you know what happens. After launching at 50% and getting up to speed there is no problem at all. I think it has something to do with thrust line in relation to the wing, someone else suggested the airblast below the stab was reducing the pressure below the stab, causing it to be pushed down, and the nose pivioting up. The Migs layout may not have the same problem.

Sounds like a very strong setup, should be light too using the 3s2p 1200's, good luck with it.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Jun 15, 2004, 01:32 AM
Zoom-Zoom
Joined Jun 2004
815 Posts
Mornin' guys,

well, yesterday the MiG arrived safely at my home! My first thought was "Uh-oh, this is going to take a while to finish"...

The parts are very nicely done and come wrapped in bubblewrap - like the other Alfa planes.

The MiG's fuselage is virtually empty, just the intake duct is installed by the factory... All the R/C mounting plates, reinforcement strips and exhaust duct have to be installed by the builder.

I'll keep you updated on the building progress!

Cheers - Paco
Old Jun 15, 2004, 09:06 AM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Paco,

Glad to hear your off and running with the Mig15, please do keep us posted on your progress and thoughts.

Might I ask how much you paid for the plane? Converted to USD. I'm curious to know if its priced as the the Alpha 183 jet is....

Jim G
Closed Thread