Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 03, 2004, 11:37 AM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,856 Posts
Rave
Scaled Composites White Knight / Space Ship One

Here is my 54-inch wingspan version of White Knight and Space Ship One, representing approximately 1:18 scale. The full-scale version, designed and built by Scaled Composites (Burt Rutan’s company) in Mojave California, is just one entry in the Ansari X-Prize. I started the model in April 2003, but then moved on to other projects. With the first space flight of the full-scale Space Ship One scheduled for June 21st 2004, the model has moved up in my “get it finished” sequence. My original intent with this model was grand – a launchable Space Ship One with small rocket engine under the White Knight mothership. Then it transformed into simply dropping a free flight Space Ship One. Currently the Space Ship One just attaches to the bottom of White Knight and doesn’t release (could create the mechanism to release it in the near future though). Both planes are constructed from EPS foam and fan fold foam. It is to have a Speed 400 pushing at the rear of the fuselage, AUW is estimated to be 17 ounces. If I started building this plane now instead of over a year ago I would have constructed it very differently. Even after building all the planes I already have, I’m still learning about new construction materials and methods. Maiden flight? Not sure, but not until we get a calm day here in the desert! For more information about White Knight / Space Ship One see Scaled Composite’s website at www.scaled.com
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Last edited by foamflyer; Jun 03, 2004 at 12:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2004, 11:58 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,939 Posts
Looks great. Here is a picture of an EDF version at the Arizona Jet Rally.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=101
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jun 03, 2004, 04:26 PM
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,352 Posts
Great subject! That X-prize competition really fires the imagination. But you really need to be able to flySpace Ship One. Maybe an IPS pusher drive and 340 Lipos?

--Doug
dk944s2 is offline Find More Posts by dk944s2
Old Jun 03, 2004, 10:18 PM
Joined May 2004
3 Posts
Nah!

Needs 75 size EDFs and a suitably sized rocket motor for the "parasite". (AMA rules notwithstanding...)

Dale
DaMar Concept is offline Find More Posts by DaMar Concept
Old Jun 04, 2004, 12:44 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,304 Posts
A suggestion for a release mech. is from Foremost Racing products. Very light and compact. Requires only an eye ring on the parasite.

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin