HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2004, 11:33 AM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,857 Posts
Rave
White Knight / Space Ship One

Here is my 54-inch wingspan version of White Knight and Space Ship One, representing approximately 1:18 scale. The full-scale version, designed and built by Scaled Composites (Burt Rutan’s company) in Mojave California, is just one entry in the Ansari X-Prize. I started the model in April 2003, but then moved on to other projects. With the first space flight of the full-scale Space Ship One scheduled for June 21st 2004, the model has moved up in my “get it finished” sequence. My original intent with this model was grand – a launchable Space Ship One with small rocket engine under the White Knight mothership. Then it transformed into simply dropping a free flight Space Ship One. Currently the Space Ship One just attaches to the bottom of White Knight and doesn’t release (could create the mechanism to release it in the near future though). Both planes are constructed from EPS foam and fan fold foam. It is to have a Speed 400 pushing at the rear of the fuselage, AUW is estimated to be 17 ounces. If I started building this plane now instead of over a year ago I would have constructed it very differently. Even after building all the planes I already have, I’m still learning about new construction materials and methods. Maiden flight? Not sure, but not until we get a calm day here in the desert! For more information about White Knight / Space Ship One see Scaled Composite’s website at www.scaled.com
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Last edited by foamflyer; Jun 03, 2004 at 12:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2004, 11:39 AM
I Just Need This One Part
Cartersville, Georgia
Joined Jun 2002
431 Posts
I was wondering when someone was going to do that one! Looks great!!
Jchas26 is offline Find More Posts by Jchas26
Old Jun 03, 2004, 01:47 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
WOW! Nice work dude, whats funny is, I went straight from reading the article in the newspaper this morning, to www.scaled.com, to E-zone to see if anyone has thought of building one of these, and BAM yours was a "featured gallery" on the left of my screen! ...

Anyways, like I said, nice work! , do you plan on attending the June 21st launch?? I will be definetly.

A calm day in the desert? this desert?? HAHA!! Na seriously tho it has been pretty calm here in Lancaster during the first half of the day, today and yesterday, Ive gotten more time on the sticks in the last 2 days then I have in the past 3 weeks combined!!

Anyways, Good luck with the White Knight/ SS1, Let us know when ya get the maiden her!

Jay
Bernoulli~Bros is offline Find More Posts by Bernoulli~Bros
Old Jun 03, 2004, 02:48 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,997 Posts
Looks great. Here is a picture of an EDF version at the Arizona Jet Rally. When to you plan to maiden her?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=101
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Last edited by bruff; Jun 03, 2004 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2004, 02:48 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,857 Posts
Yeah, I'm planning on being there on the 21st. Winds are stronger and more persistent to the north of you, but I did get a few Slow Stick flights over the weekend.
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Old Jun 03, 2004, 02:49 PM
Random acts of Randomness
Joined Oct 2001
483 Posts
brushless, lipoly, submicro servos... that plane would be yummy!
eparkflyer is offline Find More Posts by eparkflyer
Old Jun 03, 2004, 07:42 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Very nice!! It should fly great. What Rutan ship doesn't? As Bob has pointed out the larger EDF model flies very well.

Where can the public watch from on the 21 st . I live in Northridge so it's a short hop for me. Just don't know the location. If you have more details you should post a map here and details.

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Jun 03, 2004, 08:31 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
Its in Mojave, taking place at Mojave Airport, You can go to www.scaled.com for more info, or www.mojaveairport.com for maps, directions, and additional info.

Let me see if I can find some more info to post here.

Jay
Bernoulli~Bros is offline Find More Posts by Bernoulli~Bros
Old Jun 03, 2004, 08:50 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Thanks Jay.

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Aug 03, 2005, 07:48 AM
Bourg-en-Bresse, FRANCE
Joined Mar 2005
407 Posts
Hi guys!
I don't find real specs on SpaceShipOne (like length, wingspan,...)
Where can I find it???
I'm looking to built one in foam with a 400 motor...
Thanks
Sebsoupe
sebsoupe is offline Find More Posts by sebsoupe
Old Aug 03, 2005, 07:59 AM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,747 Posts
Estes rocket powered Spaceship One is on the shelf (non r/c).

Very nice work. We should be reading about this project in one of the model mags.
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC