SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2001, 04:51 PM
BH
United States, TX, Lago Vista
Joined Mar 2001
61 Posts
150MaH Pack/Hitec 335 charger..what to do?

Well, in an impulsive moment (and I seem to be having a lot more of those since I discovered ezone and eflight) I bought a Lite Stick at my LHS. My first plane was a SoarStar and I am waiting for less windy conditions to attempt first flight of my Terry. Recently bought Hitec 335--haven't used it yet--but now realize that the 150Mah pack for the Stick requires a lower charge rate (300 Mah?) than the 335 can provide. As I recall--I am at work so can't check right now--the 335 will only go down to 500Mah charge rate. Have I painted myself into a corner here? What are my options?
BH is offline Find More Posts by BH
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2001, 07:38 PM
Rhode Island
Joined Oct 2000
585 Posts
You're right in that the 335 will only go down to 500 ma. You have a couple options:

Get another charger that will go down to lower currents, good value here would be the Astro 110D. There are better, but they cost more.

Get a 270mah NiCd pack, which you can charge at half an amp. Go with seven cells if you choose this route.

Get a 500mah or greater NiMH pack, 8 cells.
BobK is offline Find More Posts by BobK
Old May 01, 2001, 08:16 PM
Tiger Moth World Tour
New Berlin, WI USA
Joined Jan 2001
187 Posts
Make a series wire harness and charge 4 packs at once.
Clydewinder is offline Find More Posts by Clydewinder
Old May 01, 2001, 09:01 PM
BH
Joined Mar 2001
61 Posts
4 packs at 1.2A? Still sorting out the electrical engineering.....and can someone describe the configuration of the series harness?
Old May 01, 2001, 10:30 PM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
It's actually described in the manual. Has some disadvantages (anytime you try to charge multiple packs from the same source you run into problems of packs being at different levels and some under or over charging) You simply get several battery connectors and wire them in series and then connect the batteries so the positive from one pack connects to the negative of the next and so on down the line. Unfortunately, the 335 is still capable of putting out 2+ amps at 23-24 cells, so you would still be charging at the minimum set rate of .4-.5 amps. (any more than 24 cells and it won't peak the packs)

Just get a $35 Jeti Mini Charger from Hobby Lobby or EAM and use it. It is perfect for almost any 4-7/8 (depending on source voltage) cell packs up to 800 mAh. I have one and love it. I also, incidently - have two Hitec 330's and love them as well.

Cash
Cash Traylor is offline Find More Posts by Cash Traylor
Old May 02, 2001, 03:47 AM
What's a Member??
Sydney,Australia
Joined Mar 2000
632 Posts
IF the cells are nicads you could charge them at 500mah, I charge 100mah nicad packs at 4C (400mah) I do the same with my little 120mah NiMH cells and they only slightly get warm and still take full charge. I would suggest maybe trying it out and just monitering the cells closely and see how warm the cells get. Just try it a couple of times and it could save you a couple of hundred bucks.
Alex
Regecide is offline Find More Posts by Regecide
Old May 02, 2001, 04:46 PM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
Also, those packs marked by Wattage (the six cell ones that are "suggested" on the Litestick Box) as 150 mAh are actually Sanyo 110 mAh cells. There are no 150 mAh Nicad's from Sanyo that size (the 150's are "N" size cells, ie. slightly narrower, and considerably taller). Several local slowflyers discovered this and raised a stink about it. It's really no big deal - but often confusing to people who don't pay attention to what's under the shrink wrap.

The only reason I mention this here is because it is a charging issue. Also, with small, standard charge cells like these, you really run a BIG risk if you charge them over 2C (the means a max charge rate of .2 to .3 amps). This has to do with the size vents in the cell and their design. 4-5C on standard charge cells and you'll nuke'm in short order (maybe 25-50 charges). Hitec makes good chargers, but I don't trust their peak detection algorythm enough to risk overcharging those small cells at 4-5C, even if only for a few minutes. If you have a Schulze that would be different, but you can also buy about 4 more 335's and about 5 Jeti Mini's for what you would spend on one mid-grade Schulze.

You CAN charge them with your 335 but you must closely watch the packs or you risk replacing them very often. You could spend $35 and never worry about it again. You could also not worry about nuking the 110 pack, and just go get a 7 cell 270mAh pack and charge it with your 335 at .5 amps (fine for that pack). It is your choice, but as my grandfather always said, "the right tool for the job is the only way to do it right..."

Happy Landings!
Cash

[This message has been edited by Cash Traylor (edited 05-02-2001).]
Old May 02, 2001, 05:12 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Mar 2001
20 Posts
Also BH, don't fly too near to the George W. (Bush) ranch lest the Secret Service come snatch you up. I guess a Wingo with a camera attachment wouldn't be a good idea.
mtrostel is offline Find More Posts by mtrostel
Old May 02, 2001, 07:59 PM
BH
Joined Mar 2001
61 Posts
Funny you should mention that....I am right on their flight path to the ranch. Usual group is 2 twin rotor choppers(probably carrying limo and Suburbans) and 2 blackhawk looking birds.
Old May 02, 2001, 08:49 PM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
HEY! Man, mtrostel is on the ball!
I have an idea - forget the charger issue, concentrate on more important political things!

See if you can get Ol' G.W. Bush to get interested in electric models! He can fly them on his ranch without bothering a soul. It would be great PR for his "Environmental Policy" issues (electric power - clean, quiet, and reliable!) AND can you imagine the support we would get. Forget our beloved AMA... Ahh, I can see it now... "The president has just declared all national parks open Electric RC fly areas!" Hmm, or maybe..." This just in... G.W. Bush changes zoning laws in to permit R/C aeromodeling exclusively to electric flyers, and provides federal protection to RC clubs that fly electrics exclusively - from harrasment from contracts and residential expansionists!...."

OK, OK, Ok... I know - time to get some sleep, fresh air, a drink, some coffee - something right?! I'm just ticked at the 25-35 mph gusty winds right now that won't let me go fly... I'll be quiet now...

Cash