Rossi 40 vs OS 46AX

What are your thoughts?
atid is offline Find More Posts by atid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2004, 12:17 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
I would not think they are comparable engines.

My first thoughts were 'not suitable for a Bleriot'.

What do you want to use it for?

Tony

Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Jun 02, 2004, 02:23 PM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
I have had both. My Rossi was the most contankerous (sp?) engine I ever had. Very powerful when it ran but -ell getting the thing started and keeping the needle set. If the temp went up or down, start all over. My OS 46 fx was a nice little engine. Easy starting, held a setting, dependable, decent power. I opted out of 2 stroke in favor of 4 stroke engines. Lots of pulling power, easy on gas. Other's experience may vary.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Jun 02, 2004, 02:34 PM
Greenville, SC
Joined Sep 2003
141 Posts
Like tonyo said, what is this going to be used in, that will make a big difference. I don't have first hand experience with the 46AX, but I have several 46FX's and they are wonderful engines. I also have a Rossi that I just love, gobs of power, but she likes to rev to make the power.
Trey
treym7 is offline Find More Posts by treym7
Old Jun 02, 2004, 02:40 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,498 Posts
Rossi motors are very powerful and take much more care to run and keep running properly. They perform very well piped on low nitro fuel.

OS makes excellent no fuss engines. They are reliable and forgiving - they also don't make the most brute power. That is a trade off.

I have run many types of engines. All of my higher performance engines (Rossi, MVVS, JET and Nelson) are much pickier. So what I started to do was quit buying them and use a larger displacement TT or OS and put that on my plane. It was nice not to mess with pipes and burning plugs etc.....

So the question really is what are you looking for - all out power this starts with JET and Nelson then Rossi MVVS or less power and user friendly OS, TT, Supertiger etc.

Trust me go with the OS or TT or other sport engine and get a bigger displacement engine if you need raw power.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2004, 02:41 AM
Joined Jun 2004
2 Posts
Thank you all for the answeres

I wanted to verify my thoughts about the engines.
I'm a newbie to the RC airplane world, and I use a very old (about 20 years old) Enya 40 engine. I use it on a Hirobo sky trend.
I wanted to buy a new engine that will give me more power and will take me to the next level of planes.
The one thing I'm not interested in is frequently adjusting the engine and having to use only best quality fuel. Is that the case with the rossi 40 engines? Is the rossi 40 comparable to the OS 60 engines? (As was claimed by the shop I'm buying at).

thanks again for your help

Ari
atid is offline Find More Posts by atid
Old Jun 03, 2004, 03:09 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
The power is probably comparable with a 'cooking' 60, but at a price - and not only financial.

The Rossi motors, as Mode 1 suggests, can be a temperamental engine as most thoroughbreds are. It's not an everyday use motor and requires some experience to run consistently (and not always possible).

There are advantages of using a high power/ lower weight motor but consistency is probably better for your needs.

I'd go for the motor which starts easily and runs reliably. It needs to have a consistent idle and good pick-up. There's no substitute for those items. It's similar to Formula 1 and any other vehicle. You can use F1 for one use only but it's no use in everyday traffic where there is a wide range of others all reasonably happy.

I'd go for the Rossi only because it's a lovely motor, makes a great noise and is totally impractical (I've a small collection of such motors - no real application for them, but I like them).
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Jun 03, 2004, 08:23 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,498 Posts
If you are new to engines get the OS max. The .46 will give you a nice boost. You might also want to consider the Irvine .53 from Just Engines in the UK. Awesome little engine!

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2004, 11:26 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
I've got the Rossi 45 but it should be similar to your 40. It starts first flick every time on zero nitro fuel and I treat it just like any normal sports engine and it's never let me down. I use an 11x6 prop because I'm not looking for speed but I know it'll handle an even bigger prop if I wanted to use one. The idea that they're only good at high revs is quite wrong. If you get a Rossi then take off the backplate and admire the engineering and machining
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Jun 03, 2004, 11:42 PM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
Go to your local rc flying field. Observe what other flyers are useing with good results. Ask lots of questions.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Jun 04, 2004, 08:25 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,498 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love the Rossi engines - they are nearly works of art. But I will disagree with you all day long about being as newby friendly as OS. They simply have the easiest to start and run engines for new fliers.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2004, 03:24 PM
Joined May 2004
148 Posts
motor reliability

pda4you is quite correct . Os will give you reliability. where they screwed up is with their remote needles . TT46 is not a bad motor for the money either no hesitation recommending them. .ST- Ive had great luck with the 40-45 . some others havent
ETIGER05 is offline Find More Posts by ETIGER05