HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2004, 04:14 AM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
Pibros foam delta -free plans.

Surfimp's posting of the mugi reminded me of another easy to build delta. This one however is made of foam sheets instead of coroplast. It was my first sloper and at a few dollars a piece quite disposable. I put a tow hook at the bottom and shot it off like a rocket off a short bungee. It's original construction was made of depron but you can use foamboard (sturdyboard) as a substitute. If you decide to make one get black foamboard it peels much easyer than the white. You can find it at art supply stores or wallmart from what I hear. Enough of my blabbing go build one. here is the site and some pics of the one I built.
http://www.rc-soar.com/pibros/
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2004, 08:14 AM
Trying to defy gravity...
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Excellent, a real cheap, do it yourself Delta wing. The possibilities are endless, thanks.

Jimsky
jimsky is offline Find More Posts by jimsky
Old Jun 03, 2004, 01:36 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,101 Posts
I made one of these also. I did it a bit differently though - I started with 3/4" blue foam insulation. I hotwird a taper from about 1/3 of the way back, down to about 1/4" thick at the trailing edge. I cut the elevons out of the piece that was sliced off. I sliced a bit of an angle on the leading edge and sanded the LE and whole top smooth. I put a couple old Cirrus CS-20s in on the elevons, FMA Tetra (mine worked fine) and a 350 mAh battery up front for balance. All up weight is about 6 1/2 oz.

This plane flies great! I started off with three holes in the bottom as shown above, then taped a plywood bungee hook to the bottom after the first few hand lauch flights. It is a blast to wach it scream up to 100 feet or so. I sometimes do some rolls or other silly stunts on the way up. My guesstimate is that on launch it is doing about 100 MPH as it goes over the launch stake. Pretty impressive for a piece of blue foam with a bit of colored packing tape on it.

The servos are still in this plane, and I keep thinking of making a FanFold fuselage to put on the bottom to carry a LiPo pack and motor for a bit of e-power fun.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Jul 11, 2004, 02:25 AM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,847 Posts
I have made about eight from 1/8" foamcore in the past- I always anjoy how aerobatic they are and the fast build. I helped a friend of mine build one out of green FFFin about three hours, and the late-night glide tests look very promising. Taking it out later this morning to maiden her in the real world!

Cody
Cody WIlson is offline Find More Posts by Cody WIlson
Old Jul 11, 2004, 03:49 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,210 Posts
Quote:
. . . green FFFin . . .
What's this stuff and where can I get some?

Thanks,

Buzz
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Jul 11, 2004, 06:06 PM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Man
What's this stuff and where can I get some?

Thanks,

Buzz
It's this. http://pactivpartners.pactiv.com/pro...A5FBF6DF%5D%5D

Nice URL, huh?

I was really looking to buy some blucor fanfold (the 1/4" stuff from Dow) but this is all I could find round these parts. The friend Cody is talking about is me. We live about five blocks fron one another and just met recently through RCgroups.

We really did build a Pibros, starting about 10PM last night and had her gliding about the park at 1 AM. That's including plenty of being dorks time and a few screwups.

Took her out this afternoon to the slope at Mt Zion where she flew really well for a few flights. It was actually my first time there, as I'm real new to the slope soaring.

Then Cody ran over my brand new 7C and the Pibros with his big honkin van. He told be he doesn't really like Futaba and now I believe him.
NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Jul 11, 2004, 08:20 PM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,847 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251053
Cody WIlson is offline Find More Posts by Cody WIlson