HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2004, 04:47 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
The Mugi coroplast wing - free plans

I didn't invent this plane, and it's been around for quite a while, but since I've recently built another one of them and had fabulous success with it, I thought I would post.

First off, the Mugi is a delta flying wing that can be built easily in 1-2 hours from plans available for free online: http://www.mugi.co.uk/

The plane has a devoted following both as a slope soarer and as an e-powered aircraft. I only fly slope so I can't comment on the e-powered versions, but those that fly them seem to like them quite a bit.

I've just built my third Mugi. It's 40" wingspan and features no vertical fins of any kind (the basic Mugi design does incorporate a vertical stabilizer in the form of a spoiler, however). Mine is a pure nurflügel ("only-wing") airplane. I used standard sized servos, a Hitec 555 receiver, and a standard square 600mAh flat pack. AUW came to 19oz and wingloading to 6oz/ft^2.

The performance is excellent. It flies fast, has a very high roll rate, is extremely durable and a kick in the pants to fly. I grin like a schoolboy everytime I take it out. It needs around 12mph+ at a decent slope to fly happily (and controllably). Having no fins makes it a bit less tolerant of slow flight, but landings are no problem--you can hover it down like a helicopter.

2mm Coroplast is used to build the plane. It is available online in the US from HarborSales.net, as well as often being available from craft stores and similar. Be sure to get 2mm Coroplast as the 3mm and 4mm stuff is too heavy to make a nice plane at this size (in other words, you'll want to scale it up to keep the wingloading low).

So, I'm sure most people have heard of these planes already, but please do try one out at some point. I'm sure you'll find it interesting and cool!

Here's a picture of me with my Mugi...

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2004, 04:48 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
It looks cool......pretty heavy for a 40" wing though....might be tough to launch it with a SP400 motor.
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Jun 01, 2004, 04:51 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
You'd have to check the Mugi Yahoo! Group for more info on that score. I don't fly powered aircraft so I have no idea what it takes in that regard. But it is discussed pretty regularly on their mailing list.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rcmugi/

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2004, 03:10 AM
Mugi Pilot
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined May 2000
521 Posts
Finless fourturn

Hi,
Thanks for spreading the word, dude!
After reading all your bits on rcmugi about the finless I thought I'd see what happened if I flew my brushless E-Mugi sans fin.
The results were impressive! That's the results of my laundry detergent

The thing was scary!!! After launch I went for standard vertical climb out but the 'rotation' to vertical was a little fraught as the Mugi was very barrelly and refused to track its usual straight line.
At altitude I flew a few circuits - the Mugi being very twitchy and just itching to fall into turns. I then tested the stall, pulled vertical again and backed off the throttle.

At this point, the Mugi started spinning - flat spinning! I actually suspected that a battery had fallen down one wing as there was nothing I could do to regain control. After a few bursts of full throttle (which is a lot of thrust) I managed to shake the spin. I lost about 100 ft.

It was singularly the scariest moment of my short flying career as I had no idea where the plane might end up. I'm back to finned flying but I suspect one day I must recreate that spin and video it for the new site.

Glad yours worked out with your modifications. Looks cool (and so does the hat :-)

Morgan
Moogee is offline Find More Posts by Moogee
Old Jul 16, 2005, 07:45 PM
Aristhrottle
Joined Dec 2004
142 Posts
A question:
Here in Argentina are not available the coroplast. Wich other material can I use in your construction?
elaerico is offline Find More Posts by elaerico
Old Jul 17, 2005, 02:58 AM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaerico
A question:
Here in Argentina are not available the coroplast. Wich other material can I use in your construction?
Depron or fanfold foam should work fine. You will probably need to add some stiffening in the form of carbon tubes and/or light ply spars. In addition with foam make sure you tape up at least the leading edge te reduce damage on 'too fast landings'. You may have to add some additional weight if you intend to go sloping. For powered flight the lighter weight will work fine.

Actually the Mugi and the Pibros more or less follow the same planform, but with different materials. You can find plans for the Pibros on different websites. Just do a Google search for '+rc +pibros' or go to e.g. http://www.solcon.nl/gjkool/s400pibros.html or http://www.rc-soar.com/pibros/index.htm.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 06:17 PM
Hertfordshire, UK
Joined Nov 2003
87 Posts
New Mugi - with lights on

Hi,

Here's a pic of my new Mugi Evo. It's about 90% done (motor + ESC are just taped on), but I couldn't resist uploading a photo with its lights on. Similar effect the pic on www.mugi.co.uk -- should be bright enough to fly at night with!

Spec:
- Mega 16-15-3
- Lipo 2000 3s
- CC Phx 35
- Micro radio gear

I've got a CG problem at the moment. The current balance point is about 40mm back from the rear most servo strap hole. Looks as though I need to do more moving stuff about / adding nose weight. Anyone got any suggestions?

cheers.

vertew is offline Find More Posts by vertew
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:45 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Any way to move the battery forward with the light there? Or perhaps the motor?
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:20 PM
Hertfordshire, UK
Joined Nov 2003
87 Posts
I've shifted the lights & battery forward as far as possible (battery mounted cross-wise). Have moved the motor forward about 1cm. Also added 2oz of lead to the nose. The CG is now about 2cm behind the rear servo strap hole.

I'll maiden it this weekend and see what happens ... !

cheers.
(PS - must work out how to post thumbnails - can't get the [gallery] tags to work - post preview keeps showing a broken link, even though link path looks correct)
Old Jul 27, 2005, 08:28 AM
Mugi Pilot
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined May 2000
521 Posts
Hmm, just been thinking. 40mm back from the rearmost cable tie hole should be 210mm from the 'inner nose' of the Mugi. That should actually be Ok.
When you fly it, try a left hand roll - if it's balanced perfectly the roll will be astonishingly fast and axial. A rearward CG will manifest as a slower, laboured roll and will be barrely.

You've made me think now about the plans/instructions. I put 200mm back from the nose. I'm actually meaning 200mm back from the point where the two diagonal folds meet, not the tip of the exodoubler which will vary from craft to craft. Perhaps a modification to the instructions is in order.

Thanks for making me think on that one! - and still really liking that colour scheme!
Moogee is offline Find More Posts by Moogee
Old Jul 27, 2005, 09:06 AM
Hertfordshire, UK
Joined Nov 2003
87 Posts
Hi Morgan - as you know I've flown the Mugi now and it goes great. A real howler in fact. From what you say, the CG might be slightly too far forward with the 2oz of nose weight. I'll experiment ...

I'll also add some 'tracksuit stripes' for visibility as it's tricky to spot in daylight. Longer term, I can see myself building a high visibility daytime mugi to go with the nightime one.

Have to say - I'm very impressed with the simple/light/strong design and brilliant supporting website (www.mugi.co.uk). I built mine in a couple of days.

cheers,
andrew.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 11:05 AM
Robots... robots everywhere
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
to make thumbnails, go to the 'manage attachments' below the 'submit message' button, find the picture you want, click upload and you are done!
minifly is offline Find More Posts by minifly
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:03 PM
Hertfordshire, UK
Joined Nov 2003
87 Posts
Ahaa - great thanks. Here's another pic (I hope) of the completed Mugi ...
Old Aug 03, 2005, 06:42 PM
Hertfordshire, UK
Joined Nov 2003
87 Posts
Mugi video - dusk flying with lights on

I've made up a video here of my mugi doing some dusk flying at the weekend. It's 17Mb.

Note - the clip uses the DivX codec, which most should have but if you don't, go here to the free download/install.

cheers, andrew.
Old Aug 03, 2005, 08:10 PM
lone wolf
(us military)
Joined Mar 2004
787 Posts
I loved flying my night mugi. You have to be able to almost memorize (map out) almost every movement you make in flight. After a while flying in complete darkness was pretty easy. As for the cg problem, I used a very heavy 12oz 3s lipo which took care of the problem. Its amazing how well the mugi flies with this heavy battery. The mugi I now fly has the nose extended forward about 2in and I use a lighter 3s 2100 lipo(6oz). here's a post with a pic. In the pic you can see how I use coro to help extend the nose. the pilot was donate by by 4 year old daughter.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...gi+rcaddition+
rcaddition is offline Find More Posts by rcaddition