HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2001, 09:14 AM
Joined Dec 2000
217 Posts
Hand Launch

I am training with a T-52 and am second guessing my hand launch technique. I have tried both, with throttle and with motor off. The only reason I have tried motor off hand launching is that it seems dangerous to have the prop going as you pull back your arm to through forward. The running prop is can be very close to your face when "cocking" your arm for the launch. One could pull back just a little too much and get the prop in the check.

Do you hand launch with throttle or motor off? If you launch with throttle can you expain you technique? Do you pull back your arm as you would to throw a football or just "half" throw with you are out in front of you? How hard do you throw?

Best Regards, ToddO
ToddO is offline Find More Posts by ToddO
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2001, 02:43 PM
Crashing IS Flying
Cambridge, England
Joined Jan 2001
1,577 Posts
Todd,

I usually hold the plane above my head so when I bring it back it's away from my face i.e. vertically above and then push forward.

I then fumble with the TX quickly to adjust elevator and rudder Let it climb first a bit before turning.

I always launch full throttle.

Have fun

Jerry

[This message has been edited by jerrysimon (edited 04-29-2001).]
jerrysimon is offline Find More Posts by jerrysimon
Old Apr 29, 2001, 05:08 PM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,350 Posts
I also always hand-launch with full power on. The throw hardness depends upon the model but I never take more than one step.

It's kinda funny but the only model (out of 11) that has the landing gear on it is my slowflyer; the Bleriot III. That ship takes off in a few feet from the parking lot. The field where I normally fly has no pavement landing strip.

Good luck!
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
Old Apr 30, 2001, 07:07 AM
Novara ,ITALY
Joined Sep 1999
522 Posts
Being in the vicinity of a spinning prop is always somewhat dangerous.
Though, I launch at 2/3 throttle only when I'm not sure of the prop toughness (you know, brushless motors can spin a prop VERY fast...). Yep, I run the risk.

Nevertheless, I do think that if your model has a low wing loading and the wind is steady you can run&launch into the wind, motor off, with very little risk for both you and the model.

Otherwise I'd suggest a dolly.
Giacomo is offline Find More Posts by Giacomo
Old Apr 30, 2001, 08:46 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Mar 2001
20 Posts
I've just started flying my new T52 last week. I tried lunching with no power and had problems with it rolling and diving. After having flown some this weekend, I've found that when under power, I have to add down and right trim to keep it straight. My prop thrust must be up and to the left. If you want to launch without power, it's probably best to do so from a hill so you have time to ease in the throttle and trim if necessary.

That said, I've started launching at full throttle with it already trimmed to compensate for the power. With my elbow in front of me with upper arm (elbow to shoulder) about parallel to the ground. I move only my forearm. This puts the plane above my head and in front of me.

If you're using the stock direct drive Speed 400 setup, be patient about letting it pick up speed and climbing. This combo won't climb very steep so you risk stalling it if you try to climb much right after launch.

Matt
mtrostel is offline Find More Posts by mtrostel
Old May 01, 2001, 12:41 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I worry more about hitting other people w/ the prop and plane (now). kinda sucks to be a newbie and have to hand launch and then fumble for the tx controls.. but, it sucks even worse to hit someone
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old May 01, 2001, 06:37 AM
Joined Dec 2000
217 Posts
Thank you all for the help! I will hopefully have a chance to try again this weekend.

Tic, your accident was terrible. As a person new to this hobby, your story has positively caused me to look around and be much more observant than I probably would have been.

Best Regards, ToddO
ToddO is offline Find More Posts by ToddO