SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2004, 03:54 PM
Doh!
McHenry, IL
Joined Apr 2004
291 Posts
I don't know about this.

Well I got a formosa and all the equipment required for a nice brushless setup the other day. After a long period of build time, way over what they say it will take, I got it outside today. I thought it might be way too heavy to fly correctly. So I just went out to see if it would come off the ground. After an attempt, I began to question this whole system. Something about rolling 10 feet and having a wheel connector snap the styrofoam right off the bottom of the wing will make you wonder about loading $400 worth of equipment into a $30 styrofoam plane.

It's not like I was an idiot when I built this thing either. I consider myself to be pretty handy, but I still really don't trust this thing. Has anyone else ever had the same doubts that have been confirmed/proved wrong?
scurrier is offline Find More Posts by scurrier
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2004, 04:58 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Most of us are in the same boat here. Built up my gws corsair upgraded the internals to a brushless setup and was very happy with my setup. For a $50 dollar plane the plane flies great and I never doubted its airworthiness. I crashed my GWS Corsair over 2 weeks ago but everything was recoverable. When I did the math I have about $400 bucks into this thing. I can throw the same amount of hardware into an alfa planes which is a bit more and still have something terribly go wrong. It doesn't matter to me if its a $30.00 foamy or a balsa kit. Stuff can go wrong on either end.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2004, 05:28 PM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
I have no doubts absolutely about my formosa, its got a himax/phoenix esc in it and its absolutely a blast to fly (I never use the lg, dont even toss the thing, just let it go and it takes off from my hand). I have dorked-in seriously at high speed and shattered the fuselage (due to a bad Tx) but it was easily fixed with no equipment damage.. and you can barely see where the fuselage has been reassembled twice like a jigsaw puzzle. Luckily the GWS gearbox explodes on impact and preserves the motor, twice!.. styrofoam is definelty a good protector of equipment. I'm sure the motor shaft would have bent if I had used a metal gearbox..

I really cant say good enough things about my formosa, there is no pattern plane that can hover like it, has a trust/weight ratio of 2, its unstallable and foolproof, looks awesome (ditch the cheesy decals) and only $30.. Mr Lin is crazy!

Only regret I have is not fiberglassing it from the beginning.

BTW, the canopy needs to be modified to stay on if you upgrage the power package. It needs exponential in el and ail for pattern smoothness.

The only defect of the plane is that at my weigh level ( about 13oz auw) it will not stall or snap, its just too light.. the wing loading is too light.

How did you come up with $400 in parts?, gold servos?

Herm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurrier
It's not like I was an idiot when I built this thing either. I consider myself to be pretty handy, but I still really don't trust this thing. Has anyone else ever had the same doubts that have been confirmed/proved wrong?
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old May 31, 2004, 10:38 PM
Doh!
McHenry, IL
Joined Apr 2004
291 Posts
I guess I just feel a little wierd about it....I really should weigh this thing because it seems to me that it weighs a ton. I have a himax/phoenix setup with the cobri 20 aluminum gearbox. My batteries are some lipos I ripped out of a laptop battery- 3600 mah 2s2p. So I think I might have too much battery and maybe I should buy a real one. This battery is a squeeze to get into the cockpit....where do you guys mount yours? It occurs to me that these batteries weren't really designed to be light, although they do seem really light, and it's just the motor and whatnot that seems to be so freakin heavy. I probably didn't spend 400 dollars on this baby (yet) because I haven't bought the battery. I did spend the extra money on the aluminum gearbox though, which to my initial observations seems to be pretty sweet. (e-flightline.com if you're wondering). Nice and quiet. I will maiden it tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I just pray the wing doesn't come off in mid flight. I don't trust this screw/washer system. Please God....no wing ejections. That's all I'm asking for.
Old May 31, 2004, 11:08 PM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,338 Posts
Take a couple of rubberbands and use them to hold the wing on until you have the confidence in the mounting screw. Also, the landing gear is pretty obvious durng the build that its not going to hold up long. What I did is this: poke a hole in the foam right on the LE in front of the landing gear retainers, hot piano wire is good for this, or just piano wire. You want the hole to go to the LG retainer, then an inch or so behind it. Put the LG retainer into it's hole and use the piano wire to "scratch" a mark on the retainer. Drill the retainer out at this mark, large enough to accomodate some fiberglass rod or CF rod. Widen the holes in the foam enough to accomodate a FG or CF rod. Glue LG retainers in place and insert rod and glue it also, just a bit of glue though. Voila! Reinforced landing gear that can take a beating. I havent maidened my Formosa yet with this mod, but I did the same on my E-Starter and never had gear torn off again. I had a real bad crash once where the LG wire was bent like mad, but was still mounted to the plane. 'Glassing also helped with that too.
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Jun 01, 2004, 08:22 AM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurrier
I really should weigh this thing because it seems to me that it weighs a ton. I have a himax/phoenix setup with the cobri 20 aluminum gearbox. My batteries are some lipos I ripped out of a laptop battery- 3600 mah 2s2p. So I think I might have too much battery and maybe I should buy a real one. This battery is a squeeze to get into the cockpit....where do you guys mount yours? It occurs to me that these batteries weren't really designed to be light, although they do seem really light, and it's just the motor and whatnot that seems to be so freakin heavy. I probably didn't spend 400 dollars on this baby (yet) because I haven't bought the battery. I did spend the extra money on the aluminum gearbox though, which to my initial observations seems to be pretty sweet. (e-flightline.com if you're wondering). Nice and quiet. I will maiden it tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I just pray the wing doesn't come off in mid flight. I don't trust this screw/washer system. Please God....no wing ejections. That's all I'm asking for.
Good idea about weighing it, because it sounds like it's a pig.

Which himax do you have loaded up in that sweet looking heavy metal gearbox, 2015, 2025?

And those batts!, what's the 3600ma 2s2p pack weigh by itself!?

I have a brushless Corsair, 2015, 6:1 on a etec 3s1p battery pack, AUW is 16 oz. and it doesn't have any problem with the wing bolt ripping out, in fact I've flown the mustang and Zero too without ripping the wing out...

Don't crash and the wing mount won't rip out.
indybudd is offline Find More Posts by indybudd
Old Jun 01, 2004, 08:33 AM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
Also I've never had a problem with the plastic landing gear ripping out on takeoff or landing!?

I glue them in the foam pocket with 5 minute epoxy and the only way you get them back out of the foam is with a razor knife and patience...

I've had 'carrier style' crash landings that have snapped the metal landing gear at the bend clean off and the plastic mount was still fine, although the metal stub was a $#%* to get back out of the plastic mount...

Only time I've ripped ONE out was a straight down full throttle mustang crash into asphalt! It lived to rebuild and fly again, and again and again... (don't ask, low level crazy aerobatics at dusk, guess I was bored. )
indybudd is offline Find More Posts by indybudd
Old Jun 01, 2004, 05:14 PM
Heli pilot
Royse, Norway
Joined May 2004
362 Posts
li po cells

the cells from a laptop is not made for such power output as you are pulling out of them either. careful. they may explode when recharged
russern is offline Find More Posts by russern
Last edited by russern; Jun 01, 2004 at 05:15 PM. Reason: type mistake
Old Jun 01, 2004, 07:36 PM
Doh!
McHenry, IL
Joined Apr 2004
291 Posts
I keep an eye on my batteries when I charge them. So far I've charged them at low enough amps that they haven't even raised a degree, although this doesn't really say anything about the pressure inside them. I keep them in a plastic tool box too just to make sure. I'm going to go weigh this thing, let's see if I can narrow down some of my frustrations.
Old Jun 01, 2004, 07:51 PM
Doh!
McHenry, IL
Joined Apr 2004
291 Posts
Alright I just weighed this baby on my bathroom scale. It's a decent digital one. I wasn't sure about it's accuracy so here's what I did:

I weighed myself: 184
I weighed myself + plane: 185
I weighed myself plus pinapple can marked as 1 lb 4 ounces: 185.5

So supposedly then this scale in this range has an error of (1.5-1.25)/1.25=20%. Not great but good enough. So that means my formosa could weigh from .8 pounds to 1.2 pounds. This weight seems to be alright by my count. I think I did the experimenting right.

Thanks for everyone's help btw
Old Jun 03, 2004, 03:07 PM
Doh!
McHenry, IL
Joined Apr 2004
291 Posts
Well I took it for a fly yesterday. The verdict is that my 8.4 volt 2s2p laptop batteries don't deliver enough power. I can get off the ground flying into the wind, but can't do much more than flying straight. I'm going to buy a tanic 3s 2000 mah pack.

Shaun
Old Jun 03, 2004, 03:40 PM
Heli pilot
Royse, Norway
Joined May 2004
362 Posts
Be very careful with those cells. My friends house burnt down because of faulty li po cells. They exploded nearly 12 hours after last charge. those were cells from a laptop.. Best thing is to get rid of them
russern is offline Find More Posts by russern