HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2004, 02:08 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
What You Can Do With Just a Little Imagination

A couple years ago I designed the Maryland work boat, "Hughie B.". Not long after that, a friend built one from the plans and modified it some to more suite his way of doing things, and powered it with an outboard motor. They're completely different, but you can definately see the "family resemblace".
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2004, 02:16 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Here's where it gets interesting

A few months ago, another friend noticed a hull for the "Hughie" I had framed to test the laser parts and asked what I was going to do with it. I told him if he'd finish it, he could have it. And finish it, he did.
Today, he showed up at the pond with the coolest paddle wheeler I've seen in over a week, built atop the modified "Hughie" hull. The boat is powered by an S-400 direct drive to a prop strategically hidden under the hull and is steered by twin rudders. The paddle wheel freewheels when in motion, giving the very convincing illusion that the boat is actually powered by the paddle wheel.
It just goes to show ya' what a guy can do with a little imagination and a bit of free time.
PAT
Old May 31, 2004, 04:32 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,287 Posts
Last year I wanted to land a 1/72nd scale r/c tank from a boat.
I researched and designed the plans with the available data.
Six weeks later is was in the water.
Three weeks on the plans, and three weeks on the build.
http://groups.msn.com/ModelersAndHob...stbuildup.msnw

Scratch building is very fulfilling because you start with nothing and finish with something that everyone can enjoy.

Nice work guys!!

Below,
J.Sullivan's Benham Class Destroyer, and in the second photo
P. McKinney's Minikaze Class Destroyer(Dark ship in the foreground) built from plan sets I drew. It's geat to watch them go from drawings to models.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; May 31, 2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old May 31, 2004, 10:22 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Umi, I couldn't agree more, there is just nothing like seeing a blank sheet of paper eventually fly or float. Then, to see someone else succesfully build one of your designs is like icing on the cake. It's something one must experience to truely apreciate.
PAT
Old Jun 01, 2004, 02:16 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
I couldn't agree more Pat. But it's rather disappointing when the way the idea turns out means no-one else wants to build one
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jun 01, 2004, 08:17 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Martin, I've been there too---more than you want to know! What's even more mystifying is the ones that DO work out. My all time most popular and best selling design was none other than the 1903 Wright Flyer, with well over 1.000 kits sold--who'da guessed that one.
When it comes to boats, I would have thought the Orca would have outdone the SS Minnow, but the Minnow kits outsold the Orca 3 to 1. And they wonder why I walk around in a full state of confusion most of the time.
PAT