HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2002, 08:52 AM
Plane Crasher
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2001
51 Posts
New Electric Flying Field in Roswell, GA?

I talked with a guy in the LHS who was saying that the county owned land off Holcomb Bridge road that he was trying to get them to open an electric-only flying field. He said he read through these posts and I didn't catch his name. I was wondering what the status of that was.

Also, my friend and I are looking for other electric flyers in the Alpharetta/Cumming/Canton area to fly with. We usually fly at a local park or church.
eladyland is offline Find More Posts by eladyland
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2002, 11:14 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
I'm glad to hear about a possible electric flying field in Roswell, GA. Electric flyiers are few and far between in this area. If you find out any more please keep us posted.

Thanks, Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jan 11, 2002, 11:48 AM
Joined Sep 2001
51 Posts
Living in Cumming - I'd like to be kept posted. I usually just fly up at the Georgia Modelers Club in Cumming. very close to my house...
rpsmtihii is offline Find More Posts by rpsmtihii
Old Jan 11, 2002, 01:05 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Since I work off of Haynes Bridge in Alpharetta I would be interested in what you find out. An indoor site in North Atlanta would be even better!!
Buffett323 is offline Find More Posts by Buffett323
Old Jan 11, 2002, 03:03 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Add me to the chorus "keep me posted"
Jerry
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
Old Jan 11, 2002, 09:02 PM
North GA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
501 Posts
I'm just north of Cumming, so add me to the group. Been flying at a high school not too far away, but flying alone is kinda lonesome after a while.

I haven't heard anything about an electric flying field yet. Is it supposed to be for the park flyer type? County-supported, or member-supported?

I've been to the GMA club a few times just to watch, but there's no way I could afford to join. Besides, they're primarily IC and I'd prefer an electric club.

Maybe we oughta take over one of the frisbee-golf courses. Get 'em to open up the fields nice a big, then go dodge those surface-to-air frisbees.

Wings
Wings is offline Find More Posts by Wings
Old Jan 11, 2002, 09:36 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Just received word tonight that we (Fayette Flyers) got a firm date for our annual electric funfly.

We host two e-fun flys every year but have never really advertised.

Our intention is to make a big splash this year.

New name: "Southeast Electric Flight Festival"
Date: June 21,22,23
Location: Fayette Flyers (about 10 minutes south of the airport off I-85)

Our goal is to make this a regional event. All the finer details will be published here soon.

Ya'll come down!

Jeff
Jeff Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Meyers
Old Jan 11, 2002, 10:19 PM
Plane Crasher
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2001
51 Posts
I didn't know about a club in Cumming. Where do they fly?

If we could find a place, we could start our own club of electric-only. There are a lot less complaints from the neighbors that way.

I live over near the Polo Fields in between Alpharetta and Cumming and am always looking for some flying mates. Here is my email address : eladyland@hotmail.com
Old Jan 11, 2002, 10:22 PM
Plane Crasher
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2001
51 Posts
Oh, and tomorrow morning a friend and I will be flying at the church next to South Forsyth High School. We will be starting around 11:00 AM and flying until 1 or 2. Wind is supposed to be decent tomorrow. If any one wants to join us, come on down. I am a member of the church and we can fly there pretty much whenever we want. They have a couple of soccer fields and it is a nice area to fly.
Old Jan 12, 2002, 06:06 PM
North GA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
501 Posts
How'd the meet go today? I would've joined in, but had to work today. I'd have a better chance of joining in on a Saturday afternoon (probably after 3PM), since I work most Saturday mornings.

Keep me posted.

Wings
Old Jan 12, 2002, 10:54 PM
Plane Crasher
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2001
51 Posts
Way too cold and windy. Weather.com said calm winds but the winds were so strong they were blowing my FMA Razor around. The Tiger Moth was actually flying backwards at one point. Ah well, there is always next weekend. And maybe we will try for afternoon this time.
Old Feb 03, 2002, 04:22 PM
North GA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
501 Posts
Any chance of a flying meet this Saturday (2/9/02)? It looks like I won't have to work that day, so perhaps I could join in, weather permitting.

My Soarstar would be overjoyed to fly in a couple of soccer fields. It's never flown in that big of an area. Just have to keep that nasty ol' wind down to a minimum, or the Moth might not be the only plane flying backwards...

Wings
Old Feb 06, 2002, 12:21 PM
Plane Crasher
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2001
51 Posts
Wings,

My email address is eladyland@hotmail.com

Email me direct.

We probably will fly Saturday in the morning. I have to referee a basketball game in the morning at 8:30 there at the church. I will be done at 9:45 and will be ready to fly then.

Look for a silver Spyder in the corner of the parking lot.

Anyone else who wants to come is welcome also. There will be at least 2 of us and if Wings makes it, then there will be 3.

Bill
Old Feb 06, 2002, 06:11 PM
Marietta, GA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
168 Posts
hey guys, im in marietta/cobb anyone around me?
will62085 is offline Find More Posts by will62085
Old Feb 06, 2002, 06:32 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Lilburn here!

I commute to Alpharetta every day, though I have been almost flyless for months, I hope this spring will allow me more time.

Anyways going up 141 (to dayjob) I passed a wide open field near a subdivision (Paddocks) and there is a dirt hill, about 15 to 20 ft high, right in the middle. I'm itchin to sneak over there one afternoon, perfect launch and view.

Please anyone keep me informed, as some local meets would be cool,

FANMAN
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN