SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2004, 10:31 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Largest with lightest wingloading ARF? Anything better than Angelis 400?

In looking around for a large floater it seems the Angelis from http://www.espritmodel.com/electric_angelis400.html has about the lightest wingloading with 399 sq. in. and an wingloading listed at 7.2 oz. sq. ft. with a AUW of 20 oz. or less.

Are there any alternatives? Anything better out there? The Samba looks interesting but only one post about it with no follow up.

Thanks,
Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2004, 05:00 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
How about this: 1180 sq. in. 14 oz. sq. ft.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV3.html?E+Sig
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Old Jun 01, 2004, 05:31 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
How 'bout 3 ozs. sq. ft. Wayne? http://www.electrifly.com/gpma1102.html

Edit-Just checked the math and if the AUW & area are correct, the WL is 7.4 ozs., not 3 ozs. as stated. Still decent, but not the butterfly I suspected. -t
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs
Last edited by fumblethumbs; Jun 03, 2004 at 07:43 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2004, 01:18 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,335 Posts
I don't know if this has the same low wingloading but it is about the same size and Hobby Lobby has this ARF on sale right now for $46.
ART2066 "Miss Acro" ARF Electric RC Plane
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/bargainha...salemaster.htm
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jun 02, 2004, 02:18 AM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,136 Posts
Wayne
what does "largest" mean? I'm sure you have a size limit in mind. An Anglis is a pretty small plane and low wing loading on big planes is more lift than low wing loading on small planes. Can you clarify your objective.

-- Kyle
kmashima is offline Find More Posts by kmashima
Old Jun 02, 2004, 12:53 PM
Marlborough, Massachussetts, United States
Joined May 2002
1,878 Posts
GregG,

You got me all excited about getting that plane for $46...but the real price is $79. It's $46 less then the regular price . Still, not a bad deal.
BrianRickman is offline Find More Posts by BrianRickman
Old Jun 02, 2004, 02:11 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry for not being more specific. I should have narrowed it down to something that looks like a plane, no sticks or boom fuses. And also a maximum size of 55 inches or thereabouts. I guess in that case I really misused the word large.

What I really want is a Stevens Aero Groove-480 but am too lazy to build it myself. So am looking for something between that and the Stevens 40E Cap only in an ARF. I don't really want to go as far as a glow conversion or a 3 pound plane.

It appears the best sources for these types of planes are www.espritmodel.com ,
www.icare-rc.com , www.nesail.com
The Samba I mentioned above is at www.giantscaleplanes.com/arf35.htm

There's a great selection in the 55" to 60" range and the below 40" range and few between 40 and 50 inches but not many of the superlight type similar to the Angelis.

After all the searching, and reading every post I could find about the Angelis it looks like it's going to be the one.

Thanks again for the replies.

Wayne
Old Jun 02, 2004, 06:54 PM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Vermont Belle 1300. 535sq's and with Lipo's expect under 40 oz. Mine is 42 with a 10 cell 1950 pack, equivelent Lipo 3s2p is about 6 oz lighter. This would give a wl of under 10oz/sq.

Killer
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
Old Jun 02, 2004, 10:18 PM
Extra 330L
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Joined Apr 2002
979 Posts
Wayne,

I've always liked the esprit models ' pretty' ; it is really light and with a hacker set up you can get 2:1 thrust to weight power and still float in like a feather for landing. I've had three of them.

That samba looks interesting but I bet the same people that make that 43" cap on the same page also make it as well.. My friend has that cap and it's pretty heavily built..

The sizes you specify are targeting either a B20 size motor (22 ounces or under) or a B, C40 size motor, (40 ounces or so)..

In the smaller of the two, either the accord 2, small vermont bell, angelis, pretty, or the mamba (nsp) are probably the lightest, electric specific planes that will be the best performers.
Rob Honeycutt is offline Find More Posts by Rob Honeycutt
Old Jun 03, 2004, 09:36 AM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
I'll second Rob's thought on the Mamba. I have mine set up with a Himax 2025-4200 6:1 12x8e prop tp2100 3s pack, 18oz AUW. She floats when needed and scoots along when throttle applied. Tracks very well and no stall tendencies. Floats in for landings and will fly for over 20 minutes without a problem. You could just cruise around and get close to 30. If a hacker b20 was installed or an Axi 2808...look out.

Killer
Old Jun 03, 2004, 09:57 AM
Extra 330L
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Joined Apr 2002
979 Posts
Yeah,

I am about to replace my broken pretty and can't seem to decide between another replacement one, or the mamba, or the formosa.. I just can't seem to get past the foam thing.
Rob Honeycutt is offline Find More Posts by Rob Honeycutt
Old Jun 03, 2004, 11:58 AM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Rob, the Formosa flies well, and for $30 kinda hard to beat. Takes some abuse too. Buddy is flying his with a Mega 16/15/3 geared 3.5 or so :1 12x12e prop on a 3s pack of Tanic 2600's. Glassed and painted his is a porker at 29.5oz hehe. But this thing is ballistic. Fast and overpowered but handles like a dream. Climbouts est are about 20 secs to 1000ft straight up, just as fast up as down. Tops out at over 75mph(Guesstimate). He's giving me his old one and I plan on plopping a 5t dd in it.

Killer
Old Jun 03, 2004, 12:20 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Thanks Rob and Killer, I appreciate the replies. All the planes you mentioned also look good. I also agree about the Samba, they list it at 20 ounces with radio gear and then recommend a 4 ounce motor and 6 to 8 ounces of batteries.

Looks like I'm going with the Angelis, Esprit says it's out of stock but will be in next week. My plans are to power it with Razor 2500A. With 399 sq. in. of wing area, AUW around 20 ounces (or less) and a wingloading of 7.2 oz. sq. ft. the Angelis hopefully will be the floater I'm looking for.

I'm slowly working my way up to a Groove 480 or Cap 40E but figure it's better to practice a bit first with an ARF before putting a kit built plane at risk. Currently flying a Switchback and Stevens Park Cap, Razor 400 and 300 respectively.

I also have a Formosa with a HiMax 2025. It's a good flying plane, IMO the best yet from GWS. But, it's just not the same as a balsa plane, even an ARF. It's perfect for trying things I wouldn't dream of in my "good" planes, like dragging the tail while inverted, or very low looping and rolling. It's been broken in half three times and fixes back to good as new very easily.

Wayne