SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2004, 02:31 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
RC Hang Glider, or Powered Parachute, DIY?

The other day it was too windy/gusty to fly anything we had ready to fly, so my daughter and I took out some kites. A 4 foot delta stunt kite broke free of the line(200 ft) and spent most of the time gliding back to the ground. All I have been thinking about since was 'How hard could it be to make an RC hanglider out of it?'.

We strapped a heavy battery pack to the sway bar for ballast and pitched it around the yard for a while... it glides well, sure seems like it would work.

Has anyone tried it? I couldn't find any resources, but surely someone must have attempted it. We also have some large flags that could be modded with CF ribs and made into parachutes...

One method or another, seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to make a hang glider or powered parachute!

Any ideas? links? suggestions?

Thank you,

Bill
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2004, 03:00 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
You mean like this:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/skysurfer.htm

There are other paraplane-type R/C kits out there. A web search should locate some of them. Someone use to produce an R/C kite-type kit, too. Sorry, but I don't recall the specifics, such as the vendor.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old May 30, 2004, 03:33 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
I have seen several kits and RTF's... ranging in price from the 40 dollar voodoo toy to the 700 dollar 1/4 scales.... I have yet to get an idea how they work though, lol.

I guess it just seems as though it could be done as a DIY project. Especially having a very inquisitive 7 year old around... I guess my issue is, I don't understand how they work, how they are controlled. Either powered parachutes or gliders.

I'm almost inclined to think that a small trike could be built, affixed to the 'sail' and be equipped with a deflector for L/R movement and simply throttle up or down for altitude...
Old May 30, 2004, 05:27 PM
Nashville, Tennesse, United States
Joined Mar 2004
195 Posts
I have been looking for a r/c hangglider for a couple of years, yet to have found a true hangglider. The control is very simple, it is all done through weight transfer. You would need left, right, nose down, and nose up ( flare to land.) With a litle thought it should be quite simple to design the needed mechanics. The movement would be very similar to that of a heli rotor. Infact the heli guy's might be the best place to look. With the right ratio one could soar on the smallest thermals for hours. You can fly quite slow, or fast : the comp's involve hauling a** down ski slopes through pylons with a hanglider it's nucking futs! Good luck and keep us posted.
Andrew
Higher is offline Find More Posts by Higher
Old May 30, 2004, 05:29 PM
San Francisco
Joined Feb 2003
476 Posts
Kinda like this ???

See these and maybe think along these lines.
I should be receiving this in the mail next week.
Will then electrify it with an AXI 2814/12.
Its called a SeaBreeze.

Sam.
IceDancer is offline Find More Posts by IceDancer
Old May 30, 2004, 05:59 PM
West Palm Beach , FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDancer
See these and maybe think along these lines.
I should be receiving this in the mail next week.
Will then electrify it with an AXI 2814/12.
Its called a SeaBreeze.

Sam.

Ice,who makes the SeaBreeze and how much?
ARCHER7153 is offline Find More Posts by ARCHER7153
Old May 30, 2004, 06:05 PM
San Francisco
Joined Feb 2003
476 Posts
Here is a link to SeaBreeze they hand make each one. Can't remember prices off hand. I bought this one on the E-Zone classifieds area.
http://paraplanes.arecool.net

Sam.
Old May 30, 2004, 06:57 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
ahhh, that pic helps a lot.... figuring out the control surfaces has been the hardest part.

I'm going for the hang glider first. Messing around with weight and CG, they sure will glide! The issue is, once the nose starts down, without control, it noses in.

I'm going to power it, I know it's cheating, but I think it'll help. I strapped a motor stick along the rear of the spline fixing it to the center of the 'sail'.

If/when I get control worked out for changing CG, I'll post a pic.

Thanks for the responses!

Bill
Old May 30, 2004, 08:02 PM
San Francisco
Joined Feb 2003
476 Posts
Bill,

I am new to this ParaPlane thing but what I think happens in this case is this. When you apply power the pod swings forward putting the sail in a nose up attitude and climbs. when you reduce power the pod swings aft and puts the sail in a nose low attitude and it comes down. This is what it looks like in the video's anyway. Will be able to find out for myself in the not to distant future I hope.
Maybe you can mount the battery on a sliding tray and move it fore & aft for CG change.

Sam.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 01:09 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
I too have been looking around for a true weight-shift rc hanglider, and tried to build one myself. however, I had used cambered ribs, so the result was more like a carbon falcon with a sloppy weightshift control. unfortunantley the camber caused it to nose in and control was ineffective. If you are still thinking about designing one yourself, the hardest part would be the weightshift control.

orni-freak
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:55 PM
Las Vegas
Joined May 2008
146 Posts
try uflyrc.com
unlvace is offline Find More Posts by unlvace
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Jul 2006
5 Posts
Scale RC paraglider pilot: http://www.reallycooltoys.com/rctoys-para-model.html
Scale RC paraglider backpack: http://www.reallycooltoys.com/rctoys-para-backpack.html
Scale RC paraglider trikes: http://www.reallycooltoys.com/rctoys-para-trike.html
Scale RC hang gliders: http://www.reallycooltoys.com/rctoys-hanggliders.html
nanoscale is offline Find More Posts by nanoscale