Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 29, 2004, 09:35 PM
Tampa, Fl
Joined Jan 2002
697 Posts
Need help cnc foam cutting tapered wings

Hi,

I have been cutting constant cord wings and depron planse for some time now with a foamlinx cutter using the Giles GMFC software. But everytime I try to cut a tapered wing win any sweep to it, the software gives me a -(insert value here) error. I can see on the approximation display that the software "thinks" the wire is going to go below the cut point, but even when I specify for the block to start cutting higher it has issues. I got one to attempt a cut recently using a custom drawn airfoil and one side stayed still while the other appeared to be trying to catch up.

Can anyone send me a sampe .cnc file for doing this? I feel like a moron.

Thanks in advance,
Robert
RobDog is online now Find More Posts by RobDog
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2004, 03:19 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,147 Posts
Are these -X or -Y errors? How did you specify starting higher?
Maybe you could email me a typical .cnc file that displays the error, and your table configuration file ( "default.bd" or "<tablename>.bd" file, to be found in whatever installation directory you defined in GMFC under GMFC>files>installation directory. ), and I can try to find the cause of your error messages. I'll send you a PM with my email adress.

Max.
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Last edited by max z; May 30, 2004 at 04:44 AM.
Old May 30, 2004, 07:31 PM
Love my Pike Superior!
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,709 Posts
This could be a couple of things
Your cutting speed might be too fast...try slowing it down.
Depending upon your setup you might need to move the foam block around on the table to cut the taper. I like to keep the root close to one of the axis...but sometimes if the taper is high I have to move the foam closer to the center of the table...and sometimes even closer to the rear of the table...depending upon the taper...

If you could take a screen shot of GMFC when it's giving you this error it would be helpful

Averen
averen is offline Find More Posts by averen
Old Jun 01, 2004, 01:16 PM
Tampa, Fl
Joined Jan 2002
697 Posts
I think I got the error message problem solved. I cut the block raised up about 8 inches of the table, but did not have that set in GMFC. I've now set that and it worked out for getting the cut to start. Now my problem seems to be the heat on my wire is WAY to hot to go as slow as it has to go for the cut. I'll have to get a smaller output (rehostat?).

Thanks guys,
Rob
RobDog is online now Find More Posts by RobDog