Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 10, 2002, 05:33 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Dec 2001
87 Posts
How can I improve low speed Zagi Razor performance?

I like the way the plane handles at high speeds but it is hard to control at lower speeds. It will easily tip stall and death spiral. If I were to round off the leading edge will this do anything?
HILDY
HILDY is offline Find More Posts by HILDY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2002, 05:52 PM
Joined Jan 2002
14 Posts
the only way i know of to get really good slow speed performance from a razor ... really slow speed... is to make it very light, you may want to try some lighter cells then what your using now and or a smaller motor, i have seen a razor that flies awsome at slow speeds using a astro 010 brushless sensorless motor and using 10cell AAA ni-mh cells, the performance is due to the incredibly light weight of the plane, i am using a 020 and 8cell cp1700scr with a 6x5 prop and it is blazingly fast, vertical etc.. but feels like a brick compared to my friends with the 010 and lighter batt. pack

so what i am trying to say is my razor can go over twice as my friends fastest speed, but his can go twice as slow as my slowest speed if that makes sense.... sure i can cut the throttle and do some slow flying but once it gets too slow it just drops out of the air like the brick that it is
Excon is offline Find More Posts by Excon
Old Jan 10, 2002, 06:11 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
Don't fly it slow!!!! Sorry, just couldn't resist
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jan 10, 2002, 09:08 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,305 Posts
Hi Hildy

Your Razor is similar in size to my narrowed Zagi 400. It is a very different airplane at this span.

The first thing I noticed was the increased sensitivity to cg location. Try moving your flight pack forward 1/2" at a time each flight until you find a spot where you can turn sharp corners without stalling out.

The 36 inch Zagi, and I presume your 30 inch razor have higher wing loading. Which battery pack are you using ? I have used 8x500ar, 8x600ae, 8x1000 Nimh, 8x800ar or 8x1400ae . The 1400ae pack is heavy enough it makes landing very interesting, and gliding almost impossible. When a pack this heavy is off the cg mark only a little, it makes a big difference in tip stalling.
As Excon stated, the lighter the better. Even with a proper cg location, a heavy ship at low speed becomes difficult to manage.

Best Regards

Al
Al P is online now Find More Posts by Al P
Old Jan 10, 2002, 09:24 PM
Central Texas
Joined Nov 2001
107 Posts
Hildy,
I also fly a brand "Z" Razor and love it!!
You can more your batt's a bit forward and it will help the low speed if you use exp. on your radio to compensate at high speed.
Keep the center soft so when moving fast your not all over the sky, but when you slow down you still have all the available throw for movement..
But your biggest problem is the weight, if you use the lightest equipment you can afford and keep away form using epoxy the better off you will be.
For joining the wing panels use Elmer's Pro-Bond, it is just as strong but much lighter, plus you can laminate CF with it and drop off a bit of tape, much stronger and lighter!!

Hope this helps

Lynn
marauder is offline Find More Posts by marauder
Old Jan 11, 2002, 03:58 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,769 Posts
if you want a plane that handles well at all speeds, check out the Raider from Wing Warrior: http://www.wingwarrior.com it's a slope glider, but i've flown an eletric conversion and it flies great. it's got a lot of wing area, so your wing loading will probably be less than your razor.
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Old Jan 12, 2002, 02:16 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,490 Posts
My E-Boomerang flies slowly ! At a weight of only 19-1/2oz with 8-cell batteries amd standard radio !

Hildy, to get an even slower approach on landing; hold the nose a little high, then waggle the elevons up and down slowly, as the plane descends; this has a similar effect to flaps !

The only way to make a model fly slower is to reduce its weight; there are however, a few tricks !
The easiest . . . ? -> A simple way to stop the tips stalling is to introduce a method of forcing the centre of the wing to stall first. ( I have not yet tried this, as my E-Boomerang flies GREAT, but it is so simple and cheap to do . . . )

If I were to do it:
Buy a 3-foot long piece of 1/4" triangular balsa, cut two nine-inch lengths, and tape them to the leading edge with the long side of the triangle against the wing. and the ends of the balsa strips meeting at the point of the wing !
As the centre 1/2 of the wing will then have a sharp leading edge, it WILL stall before the tips !

If you try it - at a cost of next-to-nothing - Get it high to try it out !

Ben, The Warrior Raider looks nice, and has a huge chord, compared with other modles in a similar vein, and will therefore fly slower than others, for the same weight, but is that the only difference ?
The Ridge Runner looks like all the others !
Apart from the shape of the tip fins, perhaps, but they're easily changed . . .

Both the above models are a foot bigger in span than Hildy's aeroplane !
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Last edited by keven64; Jan 12, 2002 at 02:22 AM.