HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2004, 08:46 AM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Smokin' Saber Video (no drooling please)

Here's the video that I was telling you about in the "Great day at the dam/new plane rocks" thread.

Enjoy!!!

P.S. Special thanks to Lightnin for getting the footage last weekend and to whoever edited it!!

http://mail.zianet.com/cgi-bin/sqweb...pCKkNojQ%3D%3D
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2004, 09:21 AM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Thanks Jim, this was my first attempt at video production so I'm pretty proud of it but of course I am biased. I tried the link and I could not do a save target as but if you run the link and save the browser windo you can view the first part of the video. The total video is over 4 minutes if anyone wants they can PM me and I will send the entire 11MB.
Lightnin is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin
Old May 28, 2004, 09:26 AM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
dark matter
Joined Jun 2003
2,403 Posts
Lightnin here is the direct link, I let Jim put it on my account space here
www.stocker.rchomepage.com/saberfly.wmv

Great Job Lightnin, you should be proud.
Stocker is offline Find More Posts by Stocker
Old May 28, 2004, 10:15 AM
Retired Slope Racer
SoCal
Joined May 2003
2,540 Posts
LOL, it kinda looks like a peice of paper swirling in the wind :-)

It certainly is acrobatic.

NW
nwoods is offline Find More Posts by nwoods
Old May 28, 2004, 11:41 AM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
I definitely want to see the whole video Lightnin!! I especially want to see that death spiral I did toward the end when the Saber was nearly turned into EPS beads! Please email it if possible to ajwalker@zianet.com.

Thanks, Jim
Last edited by Jim Walker; May 28, 2004 at 11:50 AM.
Old May 28, 2004, 12:41 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
You bet Jim its on its way to you. I just wanted to state that I do not own any Northeast Extreme products the reasons for my shameless plugs about the Saber has to do with 1) I wanted to make my own video to see if I could do it and 2) Its just a great airplane that the video doesn't do justice (Thanks for the praise Stocker). I took the video with a CD Mavica which has a maximum resolution 320 mpeg HQX.
Old May 28, 2004, 01:10 PM
Lifes 2 short, go sloping
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
It is very fast and turns very tight...Jim what kinds of winds were you in in the video? And is it the 10oz saber or your 7oz one.

I am glad I am getting one!

VInce
Vinnya42 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnya42
Old May 28, 2004, 02:05 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Hi Vinnya,

That's the 10 oz Saber in the video. I beat the first prototype that weighed 8.25 oz into the ground testing it. Out came the gear and went right into this one. The final production Saber that Mike will be releasing soon should be better than both the planes I've flown in several ways. The wind that day started out at 10 mph which isn't enough for this 10 oz version so I was flying my Boomer at first. Later the wind picked up to 15-20 mph and that's when this video was taken. What's really exciting about this plane though, is that the lighter Saber (prototype #1) was just as spunky as this one when the wind was 10 mph.

In my opinion, the best way to do this plane is to try and keep it between 7.5 - 8 oz unballasted. Then add ballast up to 10 oz depending on the wind speed.

5-10 mph................ Unballasted 7.5 - 8 oz
10-15 mph...............8 - 9 oz
15-20 mph...............9-10 oz
20+ mph..................10 oz and hang on!!!

Jim
Old May 28, 2004, 03:28 PM
Lifes 2 short, go sloping
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
Thanks Jim...Now I am just waiting for stocker to get me one!! I hate waiting for a new toy!!!

Vince
Vinnya42 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnya42
Old May 28, 2004, 04:03 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
dark matter
Joined Jun 2003
2,403 Posts
I am just waiting for cores and to finalize instructions vinnya.
and It will be on its way. Email me too as I am starting the list for the first run of 10 planes.
And thanks Guy's I am happy that everyone likes it.

Mike
Old May 30, 2004, 08:26 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Heh, sloped in 25+ mph yesterday with my NCFM Moth, and was thinking the whole time a Saber would have loved the high winds too.

Al
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old May 30, 2004, 10:36 AM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
dark matter
Joined Jun 2003
2,403 Posts
Wont be long Allan, Just seems like there is never enough time to get everything done.
although I must say as a shameless plug. Bob. at flyingfoam.com as pulled my butt out of the mess with his quick service and advice on how to design for manufacture when cutting cores, allowing the best possible quality. had a problem with some things and he jumped right on it made some suggestions and then he got right to work on it.
I can not say enough good things about this guy.
So, if you having foam cut. there is only one place in my book. www.flyingfoam.com
Thanks Bob,
Mike Baker
Old Jun 01, 2004, 08:54 AM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
The anticipation is killing me.........
Old Jun 01, 2004, 09:15 AM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
dark matter
Joined Jun 2003
2,403 Posts
Patiance Lightnin, I am doing everything I can.
these things take time.
Mike
Old Jun 01, 2004, 02:56 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
This past weekend I got to do a little bit of everything. I flew my DLG in dead calm thermal weather, flew it in windy conditions, and got to test my Saber is HIGH winds all in a three day period. The day I flew the Saber the wind speed (according to my trusty $25 venturi windmeter) was 35 gusting to 40 mph. After watching my wind meter for a few minutes my nose got calibrated. When ever the wind sustained 40 for a little while my nose got a funny feeling because the wind was powerful enough to force the air back into my nostrils.

I was a little nervous at this wind speed, but I made sure the launch was firm and level so it wouldn't immediately blow behind the ridge. The Saber was still able to penetrate forward even in 40 mph winds. Gaining altitude was difficult though because the plane wanted to go backwards if I raised the nose much. However, manuevers were still possible. After this experience I think I have a good idea of the practical limits of the Saber. At 10oz I think the Saber is at it's ballast limit without putting in a spar or glassing. So if 10oz is the weight limit then between 30 and 35 mph is probably the wind speed limit for having maximum fun. More than that and sloping is possible but you spend most of your time trying to penetrate and stay in front of the slope face.

I'm definitely not disappointed!! I don't know of any other sloper with that kind of range. 5mph up to 35mph is awesome in my book. I also was trying to make some DS passes behind the slope and it looked like it might work. Unfortunately I got too low on one attempt and snagged a wingtip on a sharp rock. Gouged it really good. Definitely fixable though. If I had the Saber with the EPP leading edge it would have been a non-event.

Enjoy!!

Jim