question about soldering ESC&Motor

HI Guys
finally i am going to have my motor for Logo10 soon
but here is another question about soldering esc and motor together
also battery conneters
i hear about someone said the wire can not be cut on the ESC
and does any other thing i have to watch out? what kind tools
do i need and where can i need them?

looks likely it will be little different compare normal soldering...

i just want to make sure that everything goes right and try not mass up
anything.....since they are lot of $$$$$`~
thanks again for helping!!
GTOVR4 is offline Find More Posts by GTOVR4
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2004, 10:10 PM
RockFlyer
Cocoa Merritt Is, Florida, United States
Joined May 2004
49 Posts
It's not the ESC wires you should not cut, it's the wires from the motor. The motor wires are tinned from the factory to ehance soldering. Your speed controller wires should be kept as short as possible to reduce resistance. As for soldering, the wire is heavy guage and will require a soldering iron that is 45 watts or higher. I currently use a 75 watt iron with no problem. Just be sure to keep things clean with contact cleaner and use a high quality solder.

Dave
lawrend is offline Find More Posts by lawrend
Old May 28, 2004, 03:14 AM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,641 Posts
GTO, I was the one who asked about cutting ESC wires over in the Castle Creations Vendor Forum.. look for a thread titled "Phoenix 45 instructions.. translation, please?' The concern over cutting the motor wires seems to be aimed at those motors whose armature windings are simply extended outside the motor, rather than having a different, heavier gauge wire attached internally. Even though my AXI motor obviously has the heavier, more flexible leads, I left them full length and shortened the ESC motor wires instead, mainly because I have a C/F crutch on hand which will require a different layout for the ESC and motor. No problems so far.
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut