Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 27, 2004, 01:23 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Something annoying, ((and totally stupid) said at the flying field today

I was up in Eugene today to pick up my wife after a trip south, I usually, if I can make the connection, go visit Joe, (Boomerace) if I have time and he's feeling like visiting, (most always..) and while I was waiting for my wife to arrive we went flying at a new atheletic field that is largely unused most days. We were having some trouble with Boomer's first flight, so I decided to put my MiniShocky up for a bit, doing loops rolls and all the things a well powered small 5oz. model should do.... When out of nowhere, this unseen person came up behind us while I was still flying, and started spouting off about how "That's how they did 9-11.."

If I had been drinking I think I would have flushed my nasal cavities. As it was, I was all I could do to keep from figure 9ing into the grass. It took a while to ask "What exactly are you trying to suggest here!" Boomer was all ready snorting and saying "Boy are you ever completely wrong.."

His response was "No, it's true, there's a good theory that the jets were flown the final mile and a half under R/C!"

I'm sorry, but who ever came up with this ludicrous idea, just doesn't want to admit that there were some documented Al Quieda operatives who were responsible for this horrible act, and wants to lay the blame on... a leisure hobby activity???

I finally said as I was landing. "Oh I'm sure you and a whole bunch of other conspiracy theorist's, who have their heads far up their *bleep*, are correct!" "Seeing how its only just the most RF rich zone in the whole U.S. and, (gosh!) all those steel buildings and reflectivity of the signal. Not to mention that it would have to be an inside job involving quite a few maintenence folks from all the manufacturers and airlines used in this attack."

" No, I think you hit the nail on it's head, or maybe into your head...."

Of course our protagonist was like any troll, he hit us with this BS and rode off on his bike, probably to annoy some one else.

Boomer and I just looked at each other. He said "What a fruitcake...", to which I relpied, "This could only happen in Eugene...."

What irrational, wacky sort of Art Bell lunacy is this, anyway? The fellow initially seemed normal. I see this more and more, We're only as free as much as we let our fears control us. And if you don't mind a bit of soapboxing, sometimes this kind of stuff ends up being government policy.

Sorry to air this little example of the heart of darkness, we return to our regularly scheduled RC Groupings, electric talk...

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Last edited by Looooeeee!; May 27, 2004 at 03:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2004, 01:34 AM
Doh!
McHenry, IL
Joined Apr 2004
291 Posts
holy cow

Best RC story ever. There's no way that someone could plan something like that. I think it would require way too many people to keep under wraps. And also.....ok I don't think I need to argue my point seeing as everyone is already on my (our) side. I love people like that though, because it's so funny when you're standing there talking to them like.....'dear god, how has someone so stupid survived to be old enough to talk.' Good post...kudos for explaining that without swearing like it must have been tempting to do.
scurrier is offline Find More Posts by scurrier
Old May 27, 2004, 05:48 AM
Austria [Europe, no Kangaroos ;-) ]
Joined Jan 2003
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooeeee!
What irrational, wacky sort of Art Bell lunacy is this, anyway? The fellow initially seemed normal. I see this more and more, We're only as free as much as we let our fears control us. And if you don't mind a bit of soapboxing, sometimes this kind of stuff ends up being government policy.
I'm kind of happy to read something like this. The media is concentrating on bushism and nerds like this fellow, good to see there are still people around not completly chewed up by paranoia.
Being a terrorist must be a frustrating Job , stupid nerds are doing their Job of scaring people, even here.

Back to topic: It's unbelievable what theories some people present when I meet them at my flying site, hunters say we disturb their rabbits (they couldn't care less about our planes), a Army guy told me to get away because I could trigger the explosives in an ammunition bunker nearby with my TX (of course he had a much more powerfull walkie-talkie with him), and don't get my started what some people think is a "Hakenkreuz" (forbidden over here).

Some people live in their own strange world, being very friendly and smiling is imho the best way to communicate with these aliens

Erich
Erich Preitler is offline Find More Posts by Erich Preitler
Old May 27, 2004, 05:53 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Hmmm....apparently, most of the leftist whack-o's are out west....Some people just got way too much time on their hands..

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old May 27, 2004, 06:40 AM
Hiigaran member
'on a mountian in New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2002
901 Posts
And you should have been there when I said "My F5B is so fast it'll run down Airforce-1" at a local lunch counter.... even my friend with the tinfoil hat was supprised by the reaction I got from THAT one! Lets just hope our cycling friend does not operate heavy equipment for a living.....

Hold the line and keep on flying -LY
Lone Yankee is offline Find More Posts by Lone Yankee
Old May 27, 2004, 09:14 AM
Enjoying the good life!
Ashburn, Virginia
Joined Feb 2002
1,941 Posts
I guess his remark tops the one I got when flying my VIP at a local school field.

A lady, with a 2-3 year old child and her husband were walking by behind me as I was flying.

They walk up to me and ask me did I get my little toy airplane from Walmart or Target??!! She wanted her husband to pick one up for their little boy!
Aobid is offline Find More Posts by Aobid
Old May 27, 2004, 09:24 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Yankee
And you should have been there when I said "My F5B is so fast it'll run down Airforce-1" at a local lunch counter.... even my friend with the tinfoil hat was supprised by the reaction I got from THAT one! Lets just hope our cycling friend does not operate heavy equipment for a living.....

Hold the line and keep on flying -LY
You know, I'm not sure what he does for a living. I do think that this stuff crosses from both sides of the political spectrum. I mean maybe I should have posted this in Off Topic, but every time Ashcroft ratchets up the Yellow alert status towards a more orangey-yellow, these guys start coming out of the woodwork.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old May 27, 2004, 10:23 AM
Doh!
McHenry, IL
Joined Apr 2004
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Preitler
...and don't get my started what some people think is a "Hakenkreuz" (forbidden over here).
Erich
What? I don't understand what you mean. I do know that Hakenkreuz is swastika in german, though.
scurrier is offline Find More Posts by scurrier
Old May 27, 2004, 10:38 AM
Baltimore Bwi Rr Stn, Maryland, United States
Joined Oct 2003
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyArmpit
Hmmm....apparently, most of the leftist whack-o's are out west....Some people just got way too much time on their hands..

Dave...
I live inside the Washington, DC Beltway and I am sorry to say we have our share of leftist whack-o's. My office mate thinks the New York Times is in league with the Bush administration.
whanderson is offline Find More Posts by whanderson
Old May 27, 2004, 11:32 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,263 Posts
Ever notice that out of a huge crowd the "newsman" will pick the goofiest, toothless transient they can find to comment on the state of affairs?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 27, 2004, 12:07 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Loooeee was being kind what I said to the idiot and what I called him could not be published in the Forum!!!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old May 27, 2004, 12:18 PM
csc
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2004
251 Posts
Unforutunately, that story is not far from some of the ridiculous stuff I have read here in the off topic forums.

They're everywhere!
csc is offline Find More Posts by csc
Old May 27, 2004, 06:41 PM
prop hangin it (stock)
Philadelphia Pa/Wilm, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Apr 2004
206 Posts
Thats so like... I don't even KNOW how that could be true.. people like that are annoying
joe_d is offline Find More Posts by joe_d
Old May 27, 2004, 07:36 PM
Garbage in, garbage out
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Sep 2001
61 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm....apparently, most of the leftist whack-o's are out west....
So what in particular makes this wacko a left-wing wacko?

Is it a left-wing position that the 9-11 aircraft were RC planes?

I think some wackos are non-political. They are wacko for wacko's sake.

Arizona E-Fly is offline Find More Posts by Arizona E-Fly
Old May 27, 2004, 08:30 PM
Anaheim CA - Disneyland
Joined May 2003
157 Posts
Mark, I saw you talking to the press at RCX. Wait, or was that me that was talking to the press? NO, NO I remember. I was talking to you.

But seriously, you are right on. 2000 people and they find the wierdest one to talk to or they just interview people until they get a "soundbite" that's wacko or makes their point.

marty
HobbyNation is offline Find More Posts by HobbyNation