HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2004, 01:45 AM
Joined May 2004
15 Posts
what are your thoughts on the front break from CNR?

im considering buying the front disk break setup, kinda bummed i have to buy a new front rim right after i glued my new front tires to my stock rim, can anyone show me the upps and downs to the front disk break, are there any real down sides to it? the bike defintly doesnt stop quick with just a rear wheel slowing it down, skids quite easy. your thoughts are appreactied.
Lorduss is offline Find More Posts by Lorduss
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2004, 06:15 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
You can always use the rear skidding to slide the bike out and help in turns! Have you got stock tires on? If so, aftermarket tires may make the back stick a bit better, or lowering the brake adjust on your Tx to where the wheel doesn't break loose so easily may help you slow down qiucker.

The most of the guys that have front brakes like them. Those of us who haven't tried them just adapt. Only disadvantage I can think of is increased weight from the brakes and extra servo. Especially if you like to pop wheelies!

One day soon I'll get my set of Pat's brakes installed on one of the bikes and will give better feedback.

HTH

STeve B in NC
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old May 27, 2004, 11:41 PM
New York
Joined Sep 2002
450 Posts
Lorduss,

I like having the front brakes. It make your cornering time alot shorter. But you won't be able to turn the bike while you are on the brakes. Not like just having the rear brakes, you could turn even while you are on the brakes. It does take a bit of getting use to after you have driven the bike with just the rear brake. But it would give you an advantage when you are racing. You could out brake someome that don't use them.

janssen

BTW Steve, you'll love Pat's brake set.
janssen
JANSSENM is offline Find More Posts by JANSSENM
Old May 28, 2004, 01:56 AM
I'll be back..bwap bwaap
Seattle
Joined Oct 2003
450 Posts
Why can't you turn while the front brake is applied? That's trail braking.
Do they bind up or somthing? If so then I think they need adjusting.
Drillah is offline Find More Posts by Drillah
Old May 28, 2004, 06:30 AM
omaha-ne
Joined Apr 2004
149 Posts
The braking on the front wheel would make it try to caster itself back to center, I believe.
philb is offline Find More Posts by philb
Old May 28, 2004, 10:07 AM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,138 Posts
Also depends on brake bias. if set 70/30 or higher, the bike would scrub off speed faster braking in a straight line, then off the brakes to lean into the turm. At 60/40 or less it is possible to keep braking while leaning into the turn, just easing off as you lean more / slow down. I would definately go for the front brake, if only to see the front forks bottom out under hard braking!

John
nuovaic is offline Find More Posts by nuovaic
Old May 28, 2004, 11:22 AM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,752 Posts
I have mine set like that too,... 60/40 works for me, i can still be braking fast into a tight corner and have it turn in without any problem, but the more front applied to the setup makes it harder to turn it in..! My 2 C's...

shaun
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
Old May 28, 2004, 02:46 PM
Bikes R Us is back!
Manchester U.K.
Joined May 2004
205 Posts
I don't know what bias i've got set up on my bike but if I try to turn while braking I just lose the front end I think i'm still too used to my HOR with tyre caps "just nail the brakes and tip it into the corner" that's probably why i've worn out my C.N.R. brake disc, but the front end sure dives good
Deano1661 is offline Find More Posts by Deano1661
Old May 28, 2004, 07:45 PM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,752 Posts
BTW,... Lorduss.. The front brake kit from CNR is really from NF... CNR don't make a front or rear brake, plus i couldn't tell you how many times i've asked him to make some sets up too!...

Oh well,.. i guess Pat's the winner here, his brakes work exellent and look very reallistic aswell..!!!

shaun
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi