SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 26, 2004, 09:40 PM
Joined May 2004
18 Posts
Can any one tell me how to make a homemade gas powered turbine jet engine?

I just started to get into RC jets and stuff like that and I was just wondering if any one could give me some instructions on how to build a mini gas powered jet turbine engine. thnx a bunch
Zupo is offline Find More Posts by Zupo
Last edited by Zupo; May 26, 2004 at 09:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2004, 09:05 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Not likely Its intensive and require a lot of attention. I suggest you try to search the web and do a bunch of reading. You should also be able to locate some DIY pages in your search.

If you are trying to save $$$ by DIY'ing, dont bother Spend the cash and fly instead, you dont save much in the end.
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old May 28, 2004, 10:07 AM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,508 Posts
Zupo,

Haldor is right, it's not an easy task. There are however turbine engine kits available. All of the parts are pre-finished and the builder does the final assembly. Saves you the time and money as building your own turbine from scratch requires a pretty extensive machine shop and good quality materials.

The Wren MW-54 is a 12lb thrust turbine available as a kit from Jet Hangar Hobbies (www.jethangar.com). Also, I believe Wren has plans available for the engine too if you gotta do it yourself completely.

Chris
JetMang is online now Find More Posts by JetMang
Old May 28, 2004, 09:05 PM
Joined May 2004
18 Posts
Well I did just sort of start to try and make a gas powered ducted fan jet unit out of a mini gas plane engine I had laying around and some PVC piping. I am going to try and put a CPU cooling fan blade on the engine and see how it works. I heated up the PVC with a hair dryer and bent it into place with my hands. Once it was hot enough it was pretty easy to work with, But I almost burnt my hands because the plastic was so hot . I then used a soldering iron to weld the pieces into place and hot glue to keep them there. I have it going straight (where the motor and fan blades will be mounted) for 4 1/2 inches and then I had it tapper into a funnel type of shape (just like a jet engine) down to the end which has an outside diameter of 2 12/16 inches. The original tubing (opening of the unit) is about 4 6/16 inches for the outside diameter. I am using a COX brand engine, I am not sure of the model type but it's not a RC engine, It was for one of those planes where you just spin in circles with it on a string. I can pretty much tell it's gonna way too much to fly in a plane unless the wing span is the size of a mini-van (that could be fun ).The engine casing its self is about 12 inches long. I can still just use it as an experimental unit for doing tests and such . Sound like a plan?
Old May 28, 2004, 10:38 PM
Joined Sep 2002
373 Posts
Zupo... that .049 cox engine will never get enough RPMS to spin a ducted fan to produce thrust, also i seriously suggest you buy a EDF or DF unit ...not what you are making because a CPU cooling fan will basically rip to shreds throwing shrapnel all over.... at 30k rpms, also you shouldn't have that much taper in a DF unit.

As for making a jet engine.. there are things where you can make a jet engine from a turbo charger using nothing but a welder and a band saw, drill press. but these are very large jet engines, and i'm sure thrust to weight they suck, also for R/C u need allkinds of things like fuel pumps etc. This route is probably not sufficient.
You could also build your own turbine from plans free off of the net. You will probably need about 200 hours of machining. You need a mill and metal cutting lathe, i'd suggest a CNC mill w/ rotary table...this is good for cutting blades and wut not.
The easiest route is probably to build a pulsejet...have a machine shop make some difficult parts and then weld it all together ....build a fuel regulator ...this type of jet engine is more simple but is NOT very throtallable. i've heard planes go w/ this engine at like 350 miles per hour....VERY DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i hope u know how to fly RC very welll....i know i don't
ssyed is offline Find More Posts by ssyed
Old May 28, 2004, 10:57 PM
Joined May 2004
18 Posts
ssyed
Thnx for the heads up on the DF unit, I would have never thought (I'm not to good at this am I?) Thnx again!
Old May 28, 2004, 11:07 PM
Joined May 2004
18 Posts
ssyed
After I posted the thnx i did a search and found a sight on how to make a pulse jet without using any machining tools, just tools you would usually have at home, almost sounds too good to be true...
Old May 30, 2004, 01:09 AM
Joined Sep 2002
373 Posts
that is if you happen to be a welder/ metal fabricator my friend.
...as in "AT HOME" they mean a mig welder and a bandsaw...
as in "NOT AT HOME"
They mean mill, metal lathe , CNC machine
Old May 30, 2004, 01:13 AM
Joined May 2004
18 Posts
the guy also sells pulsejet engines
Old May 31, 2004, 06:44 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Pulsejets are very loud, incredibly thirsty and of limited use.

As far as turbines go - the only easy way is forking out the cash
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old May 31, 2004, 09:56 PM
Joined Sep 2002
373 Posts
hey....you could buy a small CNC mill for about 2200$ get some plans, lots of metal...all for the price of a large turbine...but now you can make more for like 400$ each (metal!)

but once again...money.....
Old Jun 01, 2004, 08:52 PM
Upstate NY
Joined Nov 2003
842 Posts
Zupo,

If you're really interested in building a flight worthy gas turbine then you should look up the Gas Turbine Builders Association (GTBA). Also, get involved with the forum at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homebuildturbines/

Realize that people's definition of "build" varies from assembling a premachined Wren kit in a few hours (a cost effective and fun solution) to making the welders and CNC machines to make the parts from bar and sheet stock, possibly to an original design. Those who subscribe to the latter definition (including me) are clearly not motivated by time/money savings.

Unless you have some engineering background, it's hard to appreciate just how much energy is in a rotor turning 110,000 RPM plus. Hand grenade is a close approximation. That said, you will need to abandon the mindset of trying things like an underrated CPU fan on a glow engine BEFORE you get into turbines.

Don't take my comments as trying to put you off the idea. I just want you to recognize the seriousness of what you are contemplating.
OmegaDot is offline Find More Posts by OmegaDot
Old Jun 02, 2004, 09:24 PM
Joined May 2004
18 Posts
Oh I recognize it, I just thought it would be pretty cool to try and make one, but I guess it's too hard to do...
Old Jun 09, 2004, 04:35 PM
Quincy,FL
Joined May 2002
108 Posts
Zupo. I am glad you are curious and if you have a good supply of equipment, materials (not aluminum it melts) and very good machining skils (its 100 times harder to machine small than it is to machine full sized) and a good set of tecnical data you could make your turbine. As far as pulse jets go yes you could make one really easy but like it was said earlier why?You could propel your model with an estese rocket much cheaper but again why.

Get into electric racing or just plane electric flight and ducted fans. That is challenging for even full blown engineers.

Or design and build your own sailplane. get involved with perpetual motion, UFO's levitation, anything but turbines.
mhmitchell333 is offline Find More Posts by mhmitchell333
Old Jun 09, 2004, 05:08 PM
It flies? I like it!
Joined Apr 2004
868 Posts
People do build gas turbines "at home" (with a properly equipped shop). You can start with the father of the modern model turbine's, Kurt Shreckling's book. Amazon has it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Most use turbocharger impeller's for a compressor but the turbine wheel is still a problem. Few materials can survive the temperature and stresses (like Inconel) and they are not "machine at home" propositions. The Shreckling turbines do run but they operation is rather complex by today's standards and their longevity is zilch. They also run on compressed gas (propane) rather than kersosene which presents a completely different set of challenges/dangers. The British manufacturer Wren will sell you an investment cast turbine wheel for $200+ and it's worth every penny.

Can it be done? Yes. You just need to decide whether your hobby is flying airplanes or making turbines. If the former, go and buy a Wren MW-54 "kit" and you'll have 4-8 hours of assembly that yield a honey of a turbine. Jet Hangar Hobbies has them for $1795.

Omegadot has it right. Saving money is not a valid or achievable reason to build your own turbine from scratch and, yes, there are plenty of opportunities to hurt/kill yourself if you don't fully understand the forces and risks involved.
Lomcevak is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevak
Last edited by Lomcevak; Jun 09, 2004 at 05:11 PM.