SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 26, 2004, 02:06 PM
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
Joined Oct 2003
680 Posts
Tiger Moth 400 flying wires

Has anyone put flying wires on thier tm400 yet? Couldnt find anyone in a search that had said they did. I suppose the procedure would be the same for any bipe with wires though.

Im a little concerned that drilling small holes in the struts would weaken them. Ive also considered making new wing struts from lite ply.

I have some clear blue fish line laying around i want to use. Its more for cosmetic, wether i can take the wing off or not afterwords. Im just n the mood to do some detailing on this sweet bird.

Thanks
nogoer is offline Find More Posts by nogoer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2004, 02:44 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,836 Posts
I put dental floss wires on mine. I used the ply struts from e-flightline and drilled small holes in the base plates for the wires to pass through. For the inner wing mounts I used two pieces from the plastic tree with the control horns. I trimmed off the plastic so it was a flat piece then made a slot in the wing into which they were epoxied. One long piece of floss was then used for both wings-everything was tightened up and tied off under the cabanes. I have a thread somewhere with pics of the TM400.

I can still remove the wing without problem for radio compartment access since all the wires attach to the wings. Don't attach wires to the lower fuselage or it may become difficult to remove the wing.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old May 26, 2004, 02:45 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,857 Posts
Try using black elastic thread. You can stretch it tight, and it's easier to tie off and more visible than fishing line. The holes don't need to be very big. The only drawback I've seen so far is that the rubber in the thread deteriorates over time, so when the thread looses it's tightness just replace it.
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Old May 26, 2004, 03:04 PM
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
Joined Oct 2003
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoplanar
I put dental floss wires on mine. I used the ply struts from e-flightline and drilled small holes in the base plates for the wires to pass through. For the inner wing mounts I used two pieces from the plastic tree with the control horns. I trimmed off the plastic so it was a flat piece then made a slot in the wing into which they were epoxied. One long piece of floss was then used for both wings-everything was tightened up and tied off under the cabanes. I have a thread somewhere with pics of the TM400.

I can still remove the wing without problem for radio compartment access since all the wires attach to the wings. Don't attach wires to the lower fuselage or it may become difficult to remove the wing.

-Jon
Echo, how easy is your wing to remove? Even without wires mine was still a pain. I pretty much leave the upper wing attached and just remove the bottom. If i took out the Lg then i could take the wings off together.

I took a look and can see enough room to drill tiny holes in the strut mounts, so i think ill take a stab at it!

Thanks
nogoer is offline Find More Posts by nogoer
Old May 26, 2004, 03:27 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,836 Posts
It's not too bad-I just take out the cabane screws and the lower wing bolt and the whole assmbly slides back over the fuselage. I wouldn't want to do it all the time but it works to get access to the radio compartment if needed.

Before I drilled the holes I tested just how small a hole I could have and still get the wire (floss) through. Turned out to be my smallest drill bit.

-Jon
Old May 26, 2004, 07:18 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
try some "spider wire" fishing line if you want them functional ..
no stretch.. very strong
also it comes in olive drab and other colors.

just a thought.
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old May 26, 2004, 07:29 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Swamp Fox
try some "spider wire" fishing line if you want them functional ..
no stretch.. very strong
also it comes in olive drab and other colors.

just a thought.
I was going to suggest the same product. Works great and looks really good.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old May 26, 2004, 07:48 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
I used silver elastic thread for mine and when it is stretched tight it looks very similar to cable as well as being the right color. The thread I used came with my Wattage PT17 and was enough to do at least 2 planes. The wing wires are really not needed for strength on this plane and I have mine strictly for scale looks. They were easy to apply and don't hinder the removal of the wing.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
tahoecrest is offline Find More Posts by tahoecrest
Old May 26, 2004, 07:51 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
Pic of those flying wires
Old May 26, 2004, 11:45 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,836 Posts
Here are the dental floss wires. If you go this route use the unwaxed kind. It also resists stretching.

-Jon
Old May 27, 2004, 02:28 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoecrest
The wing wires are really not needed for strength on this plane and I have mine strictly for scale looks. HAPPY FLYING!!!

Hi Tahoe, first off, I'm not trying to criticize or nit-pick, just thought I'd pass along these pictures in the interest of scale looks. Your plane looks great as it, I don't know if you'd want to change this one tiny detail. "Real" Tigermoths have each pair of wires from the outer struts connected to one anchor point at the inner ends.

If you move the wires from your inner upper front mounting to the rear, and moved the inner lower rear wires to the front you would have the exact same setup as the full scale TM.

For other people considering this mod it will be four less anchor points to worry about. Easier and more scale, win-win all around.

BC

pic of the yellow moth is by FirstDegree
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old May 27, 2004, 03:15 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,978 Posts
On my regular moth, I followed BC's recommendation. I actually did it with one piece of fishing line. I drilled small holes at each point and let the crossover between the wings come at the top of the back cabane struts. I used small fishing swivels for the anchor points on the bottom wing. I had to of course connect the swivels under the lower wing. It came out looking pretty good.

I believe I started on the bottom wing and then to the front top outside strut then crossed to the bottom of the back outside strut and then to the top back cabane strut and through to the other top back cabane strut and then down to the lower front outside strut crossing back to the top back outside strut down to the lower wing anchor back up to the front top outside strut crossing down to the back outside strut back to the top of the back cabane strut back to the other side ........

Anyway, thats the general idea and only two knots.

LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by LcJ; May 27, 2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old May 27, 2004, 04:06 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
Basketcase,
Hey thanks for the pics and advice on the wing wire setup for the TM. It would be very easy for me to update my mod to the more stock setup. I think I will try it and will post a pic when finished.
HAPPY FLYING!!!