HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2004, 07:08 PM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
Rave
MOTORWORKS Luftwaffe Ju-87B STUKA dive bomber CONVERSION /MOD

I purchased this sweet plastic model from Walmart for about 40 + tax. ( they also have Spits and a couple of nice Sherman tanks)

Its a 1:18 scale Luftwaffe Ju-87B STUKA dive bomber made by MOTORWORKS

I was wondering if anyone ever succesfuly tried converting a model like this to RC.

Its feels about 3lb heavy, but with some gutting and a strong motor could this be do-able ?

the elevator and rudder are already hinged and move with little resistance.

wheels move too

What do you think!! Should I gut it or should I leave it be?
supi7 is offline Find More Posts by supi7
Last edited by supi7; Jun 09, 2006 at 02:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2004, 09:12 PM
I can 3 point
Mount Dora Florida
Joined Aug 2002
731 Posts
Leave it the way it is, it will never fly unless you throw it out of the window. it is not designed to fly never mind the weight.
good luck
Paul
Paul Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Paul Wilson
Old Jun 21, 2004, 06:59 AM
Scale Flyer
Tulsa OK
Joined Jun 2004
22 Posts
go for it sounds like a awsome idea
TankHunter is offline Find More Posts by TankHunter
Old Jun 21, 2004, 05:50 PM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
I think i will keep it as is. It's pretty heavy and that plactic will break at first hard landing or crash. (with my landing skills it would be a crash)
supi7 is offline Find More Posts by supi7
Old Jun 22, 2004, 04:18 AM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Are you sure you want to make that type of plane into R/C?

Story:

A friend of mines told me once about one of his buddys that had a plane like that. (A very large size 40 plane). According to him , this plane was made to scale. Everytime he flew it high and put it into a dive, he would cut the motor and the plane would make this strange whirring sound. This was due to some special whistle like box that was glued to it. Anyway he found out later that the REAL planes that flew back in the war used to have these special sirens attached to them that would activate everytime the plane went into a dive. This siren was meant to strike terror to everyone on the ground right before the actual bombs were dropped

When my friends buddy flew his R/C plane, there were a lot of old people at the park watching that unfortunately lived in europe back in WWII, and apparently this plane (and the whirring sound it made) bought back a lot of very horrifying memories that made them very unconfortable. Eventually he was asked to land it and out of respect for the older crowd, not to fly it again in their presence.
Starguard is offline Find More Posts by Starguard
Last edited by Starguard; Jun 22, 2004 at 04:21 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 09:19 AM
Proud Pro Bro # 13
Houston, TX
Joined Jun 2003
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starguard
Are you sure you want to make that type of plane into R/C?

Story:

A friend of mines told me once about one of his buddys that had a plane like that. (A very large size 40 plane). According to him , this plane was made to scale. Everytime he flew it high and put it into a dive, he would cut the motor and the plane would make this strange whirring sound. This was due to some special whistle like box that was glued to it. Anyway he found out later that the REAL planes that flew back in the war used to have these special sirens attached to them that would activate everytime the plane went into a dive. This siren was meant to strike terror to everyone on the ground right before the actual bombs were dropped

When my friends buddy flew his R/C plane, there were a lot of old people at the park watching that unfortunately lived in europe back in WWII, and apparently this plane (and the whirring sound it made) bought back a lot of very horrifying memories that made them very unconfortable. Eventually he was asked to land it and out of respect for the older crowd, not to fly it again in their presence.
well I can see it is offensive due to the swastika markings on it and if it wouldn't be allowed to expose those in the country (like it is in Germany) where the plane was flown. I know it was a bad time during WWII for most of the involved, but not because of that you shouldn't be allowed to pursue a hobby 60 years later and fly a scale model. What about all the movies they show on TV ? Or how about flying an American or British WWII RC plane over in Germany ? Should they be grounded too out of respect to the older crowd over there ?

Supi7, yes keep it as it is and enjoy displaying it. I seriously doubt it would fly good if at all. A friend converted a plastic ME 109 and even though it flies, it is a real hand full and always trouble. The wing loading is tremendously high and it also required tons of modifications.

Ulf
Ulf Rieder is offline Find More Posts by Ulf Rieder
Old Jul 05, 2004, 01:50 AM
Heli pilot
Royse, Norway
Joined May 2004
362 Posts
its cheap. try it. maby it works, maby not.....
russern is offline Find More Posts by russern
Old Jul 10, 2004, 11:32 AM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
If you can't get it to fly using a gas powered engine, try attaching a rocket engine to the bottom right along where the bomb is. One thing I do know for a fact is that you can make ANYTHING fly if you put enough thrust behind it
Starguard is offline Find More Posts by Starguard
Old Jul 25, 2004, 09:27 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,931 Posts
I as have others I'm sure have thought that perhaps these detailed planes could make a fine mold for 1-3MM Depron foam. If you just section them up One of those companies Ultimate Soldier (I think) makes great P-38's and P-47D Razorbacks in different schemes.
The plastic seems heavy enough to use as a mold it might work also with .015 0r .020 styrene though this would be more weight than the Depron. With the Depron you only need to find the kind that can be vac formed. Anyone know a source? Not sure if Depron USA has this type.
Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr