Feb 09, 2015, 06:39 AM
Reap the wild wind
Thread OP
Help!

Mystery slope ship

Hi guys/gals
looking for some help in identifying a recent acquisition of mine. Bought as part of a job lot for £40 form Ebay but the seller had no idea of what she was selling. The lot included a Zagi wing with a MPX 7 ch 2.4g rx buried under the tape which I on sold for £40. Result. I also have an unbuilt Chris Foss Middle Phase (aileron version),SAS Aztec, Middle Phase (needed fin) Veron Impala (needed tail group re-glueing) and a part built Zagi style wing. All in all a decent haul.
Now to the mystery item. It's all moulded with the white fuselage measuring 950mm long. Wing seat measures 40 mm at it's widest and the canopy opening is 138 x 40 mm
Wingspan is 1520 mm, chord 198 mm. White top and red/white underneath. The horizontal stabiliser is 370 mm, chord 95 mm with white top and red underside. Wing and tail use two bolts to attach to fuse. No rudder.
The fuselage does need some repair works but before I invest some time and effort I'd really like to know what I have. If it was a dog them might just re-cycle the wing into a home brew. If it's a decent model than I'll have a crack at repairing it.
Pictures attached and thanks in anticipation.
Andy
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2015, 06:52 AM
Registered Loser
Launch Models Flying Fish.
Nothing wrong with them...
Feb 09, 2015, 07:15 AM
Reap the wild wind
Thread OP
Thanks gizzo. Wow! That was quick.
Look's to be a good model then so worth repairing. Will the fuse repair require epoxy or polyester resin? Thinking of laying up some thin glass over plastic sheet and pulling lay up into rear of fuse with some cotton CA'ed to it. Once wetted down I'll insert a long balloon which I'll inflate to force the repair into place. Sounds like a plan?
Andy
Feb 10, 2015, 07:54 AM
Registered Loser
Epoxy. Can't figure out what you mean about that repair method? There're some pretty good moulded plane repair threads over in the slope forum to give you some ideas. Good luck .
Feb 10, 2015, 08:19 AM
Reap the wild wind
Thread OP
The damage is just forward of the fin so not a lot of working room to lay up a repair inside. That's why I thought it might be possible to insert a prepared thin lay up of epoxy soaked fibre glass via the rear of the fuse and then inflate one of those clown balloons inside to hold the fibre glass in position. Figured this would make a neater repair than doing from the outside which would just require some filler.
Here's what I have in mind
Sunracer V3 fuselage fix (1 min 52 sec)

Andy
Feb 10, 2015, 10:33 AM
SagittaXC
Wow thats pretty good!!! I've cracked a few and have done sloppy repairs, But the clown balloon is Genius... I will try it next time....Jack T.
Feb 10, 2015, 12:01 PM
Reap the wild wind
Thread OP
Not my idea but I'll give it a shot. Figuring that I'll need to stop the repair moving around when I insert the balloon so plan to attach some thin cotton thread to each corner of what will be a thin rectangle. The thread will be dangling out of the rear of the fuselage and I'll use CA to attach it to the base glass sheet which I'll lay up on a marked piece of baking foil.
I found this useful tutorial using this method but my lay up will be a lot smaller.
http://www.dpdillon.com/cozy/tipstechniques/howtolayup/
I'll use the thread to pull the repair inside the rear of the fuse and then the thread can be taped down in the canopy area. I can add some marks on the thread so I'll know when it's in the correct position.
I'll insert the balloon from the canopy opening and pull it out the back using thread. Might have to coat the balloon with petroleum jelly so the epoxy won't stick to it. I have another repair to do above the first one so don't want the remains of the balloon getting in the way and later possibly snagging the elevator control rod. Once the repair has cured I can clean away any traces of petroleum jelly using some acetone
Andy
Last edited by headlessagain; Feb 10, 2015 at 12:19 PM.
Feb 10, 2015, 09:51 PM
SlingWinger
I was given a badly wrecked Hobie about 30 years ago. The aft fiberglass fuselage was in pieces.

I used the balloon trick to add glass cloth to the inside of the fuse, but the balloon kept breaking, I think maybe the epoxy might have been at fault.

I wrapped the last balloon with plastic bag material, and everything came out Ok, except the Hobie was now so heavy it became a display hanging in a hobby shop.
Feb 11, 2015, 03:36 AM
Reap the wild wind
Thread OP
I plan on using several layers of light weight cloth instead of the stuff that's often bundled with car/boat repair kits. By cutting the lay up prior to fitting I shouldn't have an spiky loose edges that will be sharp enough to puncture the balloon. Should have my materials by the weekend if I'm lucky.
Feb 14, 2015, 10:05 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Hard to tell on my phone, but that sure looks like latex surgical tubing in the video...much more sturdy.
Aug 11, 2015, 02:09 AM
Reap the wild wind
Thread OP
Well after quite a few months and lots of dithering on my part I eventually got around to repairing my Genesis/Flying Fish. Sound but she won't win any beauty contests.
What the hell was I waiting for? I managed to snatch a quickie maiden yesterday which turned out to be a flight of over 30 minutes. Mainly because she just didn't want to land. What an absolute corker with fantastic energy retention which enabled it to do endless aeros without any significant loss of height.
I've tweaked some expo and rate settings as I had too much expo making the aileron response woolley. I'll also program spoilerons to slow her down
Here's the video. Check out the sequence from 1:35
Genesis/Flying Fish moulded sloper - maiden flight (3 min 49 sec)

Andy
Aug 11, 2015, 09:07 AM
Nobody is prefect.
Very impressive! Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply