SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 25, 2004, 07:26 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
Question
i want to learn how to build lipoly packs

i want to learn how to make my own battery packs maybe i can save a few $? and i would enjoy it aswell but where i get lost is i have seen heaps of pictures of finished batterys and bare cells but i dont know where the board goes what parts to solder etc.. thanks to anyone that can lead me in the right direction
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2004, 11:16 AM
Arnold , Maryland, United States
Joined Nov 2002
897 Posts
I have seen MANY posts telling how to build battery packs, and there was even a video at one time, so I know the info is here on the board, somewhere.. I just don't remember where. I even made a post with pictures once, showing how I made lipo packs, and can't find it either. If you look HARD, you may find what you need in past posts.
Or maybe I will do another "show & tell".
uglystick is offline Find More Posts by uglystick
Old May 25, 2004, 12:21 PM
Hover freak
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Apr 2004
48 Posts
Finally!

Found the video, scroll down to post #12, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204068

Though that video was pretty useless.
BlitzDude is offline Find More Posts by BlitzDude
Old May 25, 2004, 08:40 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
i done a search didnt really find much but heres what i have found all i do is get two cells put them together using some double sided tape inbetween them to keep them cool and from touching the cells must be placed with the tabs + to - and - to + (side by side)? than solder one set of tabs + and - together than solder my wire to the two single tabs? if this is how it works what is a PCB's job? also that video didnt work for me i dont think i have the correct software thanks for your help guys
Old May 25, 2004, 09:19 PM
...still seeking PyrE
Long Island's North Shore
Joined Aug 2003
176 Posts
go to: http://www.b-p-p.com for a somewhat old, but still good pictorial on Lipo pack building; click on "helpful hints".
FreeFlier is offline Find More Posts by FreeFlier
Last edited by FreeFlier; May 25, 2004 at 09:24 PM. Reason: sorry, couldn't get url to highlight
Old May 25, 2004, 09:31 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
thanks freeflier that site helped heaps! i think ill be making my own pack in a week or two
Old May 25, 2004, 10:12 PM
Chicago O, Illinois, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,450 Posts
Or if you and your soldering iron don't get along and you're willing to sacrifice some weight, you can get the plantraco batteries that you hook up together.
Spongebob is offline Find More Posts by Spongebob
Old May 25, 2004, 10:21 PM
iankraus.com/rcvideo
Joined Jun 2001
450 Posts
It's really not so hard.
I used all the different solder pastes etc but the simplest solution is the solder and flux sold by cheapbatterypacks.com.
I used an aluminum heat sink from radio shack and a $7 30-watt iron also from radioshack. I cleaned everything first with alcohol and a lite rub with fine sandpaper.
I was worried it would be a real pain but everything went really well. I built 6 3-cell packs all with center taps without damaging a single cell.
Easier than I expected.
Ian
iankraus is offline Find More Posts by iankraus