HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2004, 09:41 PM
Go Giants!
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Jun 2002
1,069 Posts
Can you help me with my power supply, please?

Okay, here is the deal. I bought this power supply at the swap meet in Sacramento around a month ago. It was the one at the RC Country store, and was talked about in the Events forum. It is supposed to be a 12 volt, 12 amp power supply. I am having a couple of problems with it.

The first is that once there is a load put on it by the charger (Triton, in this case, but also happens with Astro), as little as 200 mah, you will hear the fan speed up, and if you look at the screen on the Triton, you will see the power supply voltage is at 0. Then you hear the fan slow down, and the voltage goes up to the charger. So, for some reason, it is cutting the voltage to the charger, then supplying it, then cutting it, and so on, for the length of the charge, which will be forever, because it seems you cant peak the pack when the charger is doing this.

The second problem is that you cant charge at over 600 mah rate, other wise the Triton will give you a low voltage error. It doesnt matter what kind of pack you are trying to charge, either.

I only spent $30 on it, and wasnt expecting something will all the bells and whistles, but I did expect it to work like it was supposed to, because all I have now is a worthless piece of crap.

I have some pics for you guys, maybe you can figure it out by looking at it. If you need a pic of something else, let me know.

Thanks,

Brian
Flybyguy is offline Find More Posts by Flybyguy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2004, 09:46 PM
What's my age again ?!
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2004
257 Posts
what is the output voltage if you measure it at the poles with a volt meter?
derogg is offline Find More Posts by derogg
Old May 22, 2004, 09:58 PM
Go Giants!
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Jun 2002
1,069 Posts
Under load or no load?

Brian
Flybyguy is offline Find More Posts by Flybyguy
Old May 23, 2004, 12:36 AM
Joined Dec 2003
288 Posts
what you have is a converted computer power supply. these type of switching power supplies require a good load on the +5V rail before the +12V rail is up to speed, else the voltage on the +12V rail will be somewhat depressed.

the first problem you described, with the supply voltage "dropping" to zero regularly throughout the charge cycle, is a standard characteristic of the Triton charger, nothing to worry about. refer to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=128811

the reason why the power supply fan slows down as there is loading on it is because the fan runs off the same +12V rail powering the charger, and the greater the load on the +12V rail, the lower the voltage will depress, thus slowing the fan down as well.
wacko is offline Find More Posts by wacko