HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2004, 02:13 PM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
Brinks Home Security LiPo Charging-safety Box

There's been some discussion of various fireboxes bought at WalMart, Home Depot, etc.

There may be some confusion between them. Sentry boxes have been mentioned and, recently, a tan Brinks box for $20 at WalMart.

My Brinks Home Security box (pictures below) came from WalMart a few weeks ago. It cost around ten or twelve dollars, as I remember. It is double-walled steel, painted black. Note the downwardly-pointing rim around the lid.

The closed and locked box shows the pack wires coming out from under the lid, through the slot between the gasketless, loose-fitting lid and the top edge of the box. The open box shows the locking tongue, which rotates 90 degrees from unlocked to locked position, engaging a slot in the inner wall of the box.

The tongue can be bent outwardly, to effectively widen the slot if needed.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2004, 04:08 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Yep, that's the one I got on Hoppy's recommendation. It was $9.95, as I recall. It's hardly worth trying to build your own fire-resistant charging or storage container when you can buy something like this for ~$10. Tech specs show that it will resist temperatures up to 2,000F for an hour. Li cell fireworks generally last way less than a minute.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old May 21, 2004, 07:38 PM
Older but not wiser
Richland, MI, USA
Joined Jan 2001
305 Posts
Did not get as good a deal, mine cost $12.00.

HRH
Hal Ray is offline Find More Posts by Hal Ray
Old May 22, 2004, 11:23 PM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
I spent about 1 hr at the local Walmart lookin over the various home security and fire-safe boxws and containers......Was almost deceided on the same Brinks double-wall security box and Brinks file box combo (for a triple-wall feature) when the idea of "overall fire-stop mass" came to mind....The much heavier, concrete thicker-walled and massive Sentry fire-safe seems like it would offer a lot more "fire-stopping" and less transmission of the elevated internal temps to the external room surfaces compared to the all-metal boxes although i'm sure any of the boxes set upon a Nomex insulating floor pad will get the job done........ kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old May 23, 2004, 09:27 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Looking at the effectiveness vs. portability issue, I think the safes are better for a fixed location at home and the boxes are better for transporting to the field. For those who want the best of both and don't mind spending a little extra money, one of each would be ideal.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old May 23, 2004, 11:20 AM
Buffalo Grove, Illinois, United States
Joined Sep 2002
139 Posts
Brinks Home security Box

I picked up my Brinks box for $9.95 at Wally Mart about 6 months ago.
It has worked out good for transporting batteries to and from the field, I have also used it at home for charging in addition to a heavy Pyrex dish with a lid.
Better safe than sorry!
Bob
bobsan is offline Find More Posts by bobsan
Old May 23, 2004, 11:54 AM
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
Even a "tin stove" is built of "metal", but as everyone knows, is very effective at both containing the actual fueled combustion flames and transfering the heat to producing a very hot external surface and if you read the fine print on "Pyrex" and equivelent kitchenware products...it's gonna crack(now useless) at the expected battery fire temps........A really effective "LiPo safety container" should be able to completely contain the battery chemicals flaming eruption plus keep the safe's external wall surfaces below the conduction and flash ignition point of most users expected storage, operation (charging session) and transportation enviromental areas(car or truck interior space) .....Does anyone know from test results, the average and peak temps and duration of a typical Lipo battery pack fire event ??.....It would be bad for the unexpected pack eruption to still cause massive heat induced damage (car trunk or other interior materials fire, flying field grass fire, etc) despite using a really thin-walled metal (1/4 to 1/2 inch solid STEEL is what i call metal) "container" ........ kw
Old May 23, 2004, 01:44 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
Of-course, this is just my "intuitive" thoughts without any test data or actual LiPo pack fire experience to base anything on, espec when trying to use a fire-safe in the reverse manner, probably opposite of the designed construction considerations......The Sentry fire safes internal-wall material seems to contain some kind of "cooling moisture release" upon heat activation properties and atleast have some kind "thermal degree/time" rating traceable to some "fire standard rating system" ....One of the mentioned all-metal security boxes, augmented with an internal fire-resistant and heat-blocking "sheetrock" lining layer or two (and dividers for multiple pack isolation effects) seems like a real good inexpensive (and maybe better) alternative to the ready-to-use fire safes (which an internal "sheetrock" lining could be added to also)........ kw
Old May 23, 2004, 07:23 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
I also spent a goodly amount at Wal-Mart perusing their invintory of "fireproof" type containers. I eventually settled on a "Sentry" 1100, that cost about $20. It is supposed to withstand temperatures of 1550 degrees F for a half an hour. Not as good as the all-metal Brinks, but still should contain a small li-po fire. The main reason I selected this box is that it is all lined with some type of composite material, (looks like plastic). I don't like the idea of storing batteries with wires attached on a metal surface. If a fire should occur, with several batteries inside, it would almost certainly get hot enough to melt plugs and or insulation, which would likely cause other batteries to short, causing additional fire. This may be a moot point however, as any battery inside the box when involved in a fire would probably melt jacket, and insulation, and would short out and burn anyway. The other thing that concerned me was the likelihood of heat transfer through the metal walls as described by Killerwatt.

My $.02

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old May 23, 2004, 09:44 PM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
The Briggs Box has an insulating layer between its steel walls.

For those concerned about electrical conductivity of the steel, cement a layer of fiberglass on the inside with silicone rubber.
Last edited by RD Blakeslee; May 23, 2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old May 23, 2004, 09:52 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,852 Posts
I just used some of that self adhesive kitchen shelf liner material.
h
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old May 24, 2004, 05:53 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
Good idea.
Old May 30, 2004, 08:15 PM
DrT
Hangtown, Ca.
Joined Mar 2004
218 Posts
Here's one I just built. Added 1/4" aluminum firewall to separate charging bay from storage. Lid will hit this first when closed. Charge bay is lined with kevlar cloth I found at a upholstery shop. The guy was not sure what it is called, but they were using it for the fire trucks. Will not burn with flame. This bay is large enough to store charger. Blow hole was cut in top and covered with chainsaw exhaust screen. This screen will not allow any sparks to pass, but will allow venting. Still need to find foam to replace carpet padding on storage side, this stuff flames like a match. Another hole was cut for charge and thermo probe wires. Painted white to reduce heat in sun. Velcro added to hold charger and key. Hope it's never needed, but it should contain a 'problem' .
Dr.T
DrT is offline Find More Posts by DrT
Old Jun 03, 2004, 10:33 AM
Shaun Price
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
454 Posts
Would a fire have the potential to blow the lid off a normal cooking pot. I just use a cooking pot on a concrete floor and was wondering if I should upgrade?

Shaun
sprice50 is offline Find More Posts by sprice50
Old Jun 03, 2004, 11:21 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,852 Posts
How tight is the top on? Any fire in a closed container is going to cause an increase in the internal pressure due to heating of the air and perhaps release of gases from the burning item. The pressure will depend on how hot the air gets.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy