HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2004, 12:35 PM
Joined Mar 2004
152 Posts
Plane for Windy Days

OK. Still learning to fly. My Beaver didnt last long. Ireland is often a bit windy - and my urge to fly overrides my basic knowledge to perhaps heed the wind and not fly.

Non the less - I need a plane. I flew a IFO indoors, and altho I can see the value of it, dislike it as it does not look like a plane. I will look at one for indoors, as I have enough electronics for 2. My LIPO 3 Cell 340mah Kokam should work well with the IFO. Can the IFO handle wind?

Back to the outdoor plane. What do I fly? The Beaver struggled. Someone has suggested Estarter for me.

Options?

EPP Wing?
E-Starter?
Perhaps a bigger Balsa Glider with Electric motor?

Perhaps I need to ditch all that and get a Zoom 400 Heli, as orginally was the plan - but I love to see a plane fly.

Im gonna pull out my hair. Help please. Plane for a windy day for beginner - is there such a thing?

(EDIT)

I have 2 x 3 Cell 1700 Jet Pack LIPOS, and the motor and such from the BEaver if thats any use for the next plane.

BTW - Love the Corsair - must be one of my favorite.
ChazAxl is offline Find More Posts by ChazAxl
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2004, 02:19 PM
Joined May 2004
148 Posts
wind flyer

you'll have to look at something with high power to weight ratio.low dihedral & small wing semisymetrical. if electric then brushless most likely. the Wattage Impress might do well . ailerons help as rudder/ elevator can be tricky in high winds. the old impress which was smaller flew fairly well in breeze up to 15 kts. the GP Electra Streak would do well esp if using cobalt or brushless.
ETIGER05 is offline Find More Posts by ETIGER05
Old May 21, 2004, 02:49 PM
Central TX
Joined Jun 2002
722 Posts
Check out the SuperFly-E. 11.5 to 14 oz, will fly very nicely on your 2 cell 1700 and flies in very windy conditions.

All EPP, even the elevons!!

More info at:
www.SuperFlyRC.com

We ship overseas.

David
DrDHalko is offline Find More Posts by DrDHalko
Old May 21, 2004, 03:18 PM
Joined Mar 2004
152 Posts
Thanks - having a look.
OK - those are 3 Cell 1700. I have 2 x - sorry for the confusion. Will that still be OK?
ChazAxl is offline Find More Posts by ChazAxl
Old May 21, 2004, 03:59 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
The EasyStar has enough mass to handle a little wind.
aeropal is offline Find More Posts by aeropal
Old May 21, 2004, 04:22 PM
Central TX
Joined Jun 2002
722 Posts
ChazAxl,

3s might be a little hot for the stock setup.... Might be ok with a smaller prop.

David
www.SuperFlyRC.com
DrDHalko is offline Find More Posts by DrDHalko
Old May 21, 2004, 04:43 PM
What was I - "thinkng"?
Central Iowa
Joined May 2004
4 Posts
My first airplane was the Sky Scooter Pro. Once you've become an experienced flyer, this plane can handle a ton of wind. I've flown it in 15-20mph winds and had a lot of fun. Although I've only had a geared SP400 in the plane, it's fun to just hover in place 5-10 ft above with the really high wind. You can find them at www.servocity.com. The best thing is it's all foam, so if you wreck, a little Elmers glue, toothpicks and maybe some strapping tape will have you back in the air in no time.

Scott
TailWindAP is offline Find More Posts by TailWindAP
Old May 21, 2004, 05:17 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
i fly my www.mountainmodels.com SmoothE in winds of 15+ mph - best of all its made to xfer your gear from your GWS plane. it is very trainer like on low rates and quite aerobatic when you push it.
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first