HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by realdeal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 21, 2004, 08:43 AM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
Trader Rating: 44
Wren 54 Turbine - $1250

SOLD PENDING FUNDS

This is a JDE / Wren 54 turbine engine. It has everything that comes with the turbine and some extras that I had to purchase separately.

It inlcludes:

Turbine
Electric Starter Housing
Starter Bendix
Temperature Probe
JDE FADEC ECU
Hand Data Terminal
Fuel Pump
Starter battery holder and switches (made by me)
Festo 4mm check valve for propane
Festo 4-3mm connectors for fuel / propane to engine
Wren MW54 contruction manual and plans (you can build the entire turbine from these plans)
JDE ECU Instruction Manual
Various fuel and propane lines

It does not include:

Batteries - you will need (1) 7.2V pack for the electric start and (1) 4.8V pack for the ECU. I was using Sanyo 1700 NiCads.
Turbine Mount
*Anything not pictured*

The turbine has been run as recently as yesterday. The engine started and ran fine but I shut it down after noticing that the temp probe was pushed too deep in the exhaust cone and the temp readings were off. After resetting the temp probe depth I was in the process of starting again when the electric motor went south. I decided that I'm just not the tinkerer I thought I would be and would prefer full transmitter auto-start

The turbine runs GREAT when started and the temp probe set properly. I've had some issues with starting the motor that I think is due to using the incorrect electric motor as the starter. It would be best sorted out by someone familiar with this type of engine. The electric motor currently in the starter housing is burned out and will need to be replaced unless you intend to air start the motor.

The engine was sent back to JDE last fall and given a check-up. It had the compressor replaced and the ECU upgraded to the latest version with Hall-Effect RPM sensor. The engine was test run and everything checked A-OK. Dennis at JDE said he was getting 13+ lb of thrust out of this particular engine.

Just as a point of emphasis... You WILL need to either replace the electric motor in the starter housing or plan on air starting this motor. There MAY be some settings that need to be changed in the start sequence. This can all be done through the included Hand Data Terminal. This would be a GREAT engine for someone who has already built an MW54 and is looking for a second.

If you'd like to pick this engine up in Lexington, KY I'll throw in a scuba tank (no regulator) that can be used for air starting this engine.

I'm asking $1250 plus shipping.

Shipping rate to be calculated from zip 40515 including insurance on USPS.com.
realdeal is offline Find More Posts by realdeal
Last edited by realdeal; May 21, 2004 at 08:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2004, 12:35 AM
Joined May 2004
6 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Hello Realdeal,
Its geza here and I'am interested in buying your turbine.

Question What is your best price on the engine?
How do I pay for the item?
Will you post to Australia?
How do I ensure that there is no misshaps with the purchase?
Is there a warrenty or insurance with the turbine and ECU?
How old is the turbine?

Regards
gogeza@dodo.com.au
geza is offline Find More Posts by geza
Old May 22, 2004, 09:49 AM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
Trader Rating: 44
The turbine is sold pending funds. Thanks!

I will post here if anything falls through.
realdeal is offline Find More Posts by realdeal
Closed Thread