SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 20, 2004, 04:44 PM
Chelmsford England
Joined Apr 2002
25 Posts
Whoops!
x-fire (Crossfire) will it fly?

I am in the closing phase of completing a x-fire electric sport model, the kit for which I have for over a year I guess! Hopefully there is someone out there that has some familiarity of this ship and can give me an opinion as to whether the thing will fly considering the mods I have made, which are these:

I did not like the single servo arrangement for the ailerons and have installed a separate servo for each. In addition I did not extend the ailerons to the tips of the wings as I feel their action they may be affected by wing tip vortices. The final 5cm or so are part of the wing proper. (If that makes sense?). These things don't bother me too much, but I have also deepened the fuselage in order to accommodate 7 and 8 cell 2400ma's and 3000ma's. The motor I have is a 7.2V Speed 600 and I have a 7.5 x 4 folding Gruapner prop. The plan seems sized for 1700ma battery packs and I am wondering if it is sensible to try this configuration.

If any one has any suggestions/comments or feels that this is a non-flyable set-up and can suggest an inexpensive upgrade, I would love to receive their feedback.

Here's hoping.

For those not familiar with this plane, the wingspan is 54.5in and the wing area 384 sq in.

Regards

Regards

Paul
ThePheonix is offline Find More Posts by ThePheonix
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2004, 06:44 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,501 Posts
Paul,
There was a thread on this model a while back;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...fire+crossfire

I hope this helps!

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old May 21, 2004, 03:38 PM
Chelmsford England
Joined Apr 2002
25 Posts
Thanks Tim.

I did do a search for x-fire before I posted, but did not seem to find the thread you have listed. I blame my computer!

Anyway, I have had a read and it seems reasonable to give it a go. Best I get on and finish it before I come back from this weekend's Sandown expo with another project or two.

Thanks for your advice.

Paul
ThePheonix is offline Find More Posts by ThePheonix
Old May 21, 2004, 07:53 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,977 Posts
Well, the good old Crossfire has been around for something over ten years, I know because I still have an original Metcalf kit here in my workshop. Have built and flown another Crossfire and found it to be smooth and responsive but mine was built absolutely stock using a 540 motor and an 8 X 4 prop on 8 cells. I can think of three places off the top of my head where I've seen positive reviews. One was a very early issue of EFI( somewhere around 1995) when Bob Smith, I think, did a review where he flew the Crossfire on various set ups including 10 cells and a geared Astro 05. Another good review came in a copy of the BEFA mag and finally there was recent mention by Nigel Hawes in RCM & E where he tested a Crossfire that he had owned for some time but retro fitted with one of the HET Typhoon 15 Outrunners. Nobody I've come across has had a bad word for them. THe only thing I'd advise for the future is to build as designed and then after flying if you feel the model needs changes make them. Building an unknown model (to you that is) and modifying it can be a recipe for disaster. It also implies that the designer didn't know what he was doing which was certainly not the case with Adrian Metcalf.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson