SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2004, 08:45 PM
no place like cloudbase
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Aug 2002
487 Posts
how would you resolve this problem

I hired a tree service to take down a tree in my front yard. They came and started the job. The owner of the service was there to lead the 2 other guys. They began to cut the tree up and run it through thier chipper. They get most of the tree except for the main trunk which is promised to be removed the next day. At this point, they have not come for 2 weeks and they will not answer any message I leave on thier answering machine. I have not paid them yet. The trunk stands 20 feet or so and is beginning to look a little totemish. Maybe even a little eyesorish. I noticed today after I called yet again that thier outgoing message has changed and been updated with new special offers they have. Sounds like they are in business as usual. Not sure what I should do to get this guy to finish the job. Anybody offer up some nuggets of advice on how to resolve this problem?

Leigh
freeflight is offline Find More Posts by freeflight
Old May 19, 2004, 09:00 PM
I can TOO fly!
Southern Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
246 Posts
Send them a letter. Call the local consumer advocate. If they don't respond call a tree sculpture company.
Spadplanter is offline Find More Posts by Spadplanter
Old May 19, 2004, 09:05 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,494 Posts
Leave a message on their phone line saying that unless your phone call is returned and the promised job finished by a specific date, you will send a letter to all local newspapers (and any media where that company may advertise - for example - where did you learn about this company - perhaps also the Yellow Pages) detailing your experience with them.
Michael in Toronto is offline Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old May 20, 2004, 08:09 AM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
Simple (I'm a GC and NEVER face this ), you haven't paid them and don't. Leave a message that the job isn't completed until the stump is removed. You understand that they are busy, but you need to have this compelted. If the job is not compelted by "X" date (be reasonable) that you will contract with another company to remove the stump and will deduct that expense from the money that you owe them.

Kevin
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old May 20, 2004, 08:51 AM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,528 Posts
Cadconversions is right. You entered into a contract with them. They have not completed what they said they would do. Don't pay them until the job is done to your satisfaction. Take pictures of the tree as is, should you go to small claims court (evidence). If you have waited a significant amount of time, send a registered letter to the company requesting completion of the contract. If no response after a week, hire someone else. Check your local consumer advocate or Better Business Bureau to make sure about what constitutes a reasonable amount of time spent waiting for them to complete the job.

Terry (not a lawyer, but my wife is)
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old May 20, 2004, 09:17 AM
no place like cloudbase
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Aug 2002
487 Posts
Ahhhh, registered letter ....excellent idea. I think I will send one. I really appreciate the input. I did take video tape of them taking it down as far as they got just for posterity. I guess that is some evidence.

Leigh
freeflight is offline Find More Posts by freeflight
Old May 20, 2004, 10:03 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,847 Posts
Just a thought, but it is probably 17 or 25 feet high. 8 feet is a log and that is what is usually sold for lumber (I'm a long time removed from such). They are probably waiting until they get a load and then they will cut them all down and load them and take them to be sold. Do not pay them when they cut down the trunk. If you do, you will probably be left with the stump and that is the hardest part to get rid of. The registered letter is a great idea. I wouldn't tell them that you will not pay them until they get the stump out. Let them cut and remove the trunk and then break the news to them. That way you will only have the short stump to deal with. Just a thought. I'm not sure the size of the trunk is good for much more than pulp, but then I'm not a lumberman. I just worked for one about 40 years ago cruising timber in a forest and I kept the tally as the forester estimeate the number of logs (8 foot sections) in a tree and the diameter.

Good Luck,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad