HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2004, 11:59 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
Question
How to repair a built up wing?

I didn't consider myself a beginner until this evening. Crashed my Cutie tonight, (nose in from 25') The front of the fuse split open which shouldn't be to hard to fix but the wing is a different story! The ribs on the left side are busted, not split but busted into splinters and the TE looks like a roller coaster track. What is the best way to fix these ribs? I think I saved the wood from when they were laser cut. Is it possible to cut new ribs and reattach the new ones to the remnants behind the spar? Any other suggestions or tips? Guess I could call SR and just get the Acropro conversion kit but where would the challenge be in that?
I went ahead and stripped all the covering off since it was kind of tired looking after 2 years of hard flying. A sad day indeed

BTW: crash was caused by the battery shifting forward suddenly while adjusting the CG to make the plane more responsive
Moral: Never do hammerhed stalls when adjusting the CG and your battery is not properly attached
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2004, 12:10 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,452 Posts
You answered the question yerself, Mike. I crashed my DuskStik a while back and repaired it using just that method. It's even easier if you find all the pieces and just CA them back together with a cripple or two for strength. Just like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. The pieces usually fit with a little patience.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 19, 2004, 12:10 AM
You will be assimilated!
Caslte Rock, Colorado
Joined Apr 2004
214 Posts
Use foam. Keep the spars, just buy some 2mm foam and cut it.
meowmix is offline Find More Posts by meowmix
Old May 19, 2004, 10:52 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
That is what I figured but thought that I would ask and see if there was a better way. I am surprised that the wing is damaged this much since it seperated from the fuse on impact. Even so I am surprised by how solid the wing still feels. Larry designed it well I think. I cut the blanks for the rib halfs tonight and made a cardboard pattern from the sheet wood that the laser cut parts came from. I knew I kept those around for something!
Not sure how to go about using foam. Do you cut it like a regular rib? I have plenty of balsa and no foam anyway so I will build them up.
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C