HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2004, 09:08 PM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
GWS no longer in Horizon's consumer quarterly catalog

fyi got my copy of AirTime in the mail today from Horizon (quarterly consumer catalog).

Not a single GWS item.

Has Thunder Power and Hitec TX's though; other than that everything electrics is now Horizon's own E-Flite brand.

otoh, lhs got a couple of E-Starters in from Horizon, the new ones with EPS400C.
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2004, 10:30 AM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
No surprise GWS planes are no longer in Horizons junk mail / Air Quarterly flyer.

As you said all the electric planes in it are Horizons own stuff, as they had the US exclusive on the GWS planes they were horizons 'own' planes, but now anyone can buy and sell them.

Why waste the advertising space in your own quarterly flyer on GWS when you can feature planes you do have an exclusive deal on?
indybudd is offline Find More Posts by indybudd
Old May 19, 2004, 12:52 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts
Well, It looks like GWS Taiwan is dominating RC market in America now. Hey there is no need to ship jobs abroad, they come here to stay, very convenient though. Do not get wrong idea folks, I fly GWS stuffs...
rcguy01 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy01
Last edited by rcguy01; May 19, 2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old May 19, 2004, 02:12 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Sep 2003
161 Posts
The good news is GWS products are starting to show up on Tower Hobbies website in the "just announced" category and listed as "order pending". Looks like Horizon's loss might be Tower's gain. Check it out:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go
Magneto is online now Find More Posts by Magneto
Old May 19, 2004, 04:23 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,050 Posts
GRRRRRR 15 bucks for a Slope Pico Stick F!!!

I just wish they had them in stock!

Tommy in NY
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old May 19, 2004, 05:02 PM
sky is the limit
NJ, US
Joined May 2002
116 Posts
that's fine with me. I don't like to order from Horizon to begin with.
AeroSports is offline Find More Posts by AeroSports
Old May 19, 2004, 06:54 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
I have had nothing but excellent service from Horizon. The only thing I didn't like about ordering GWS planes from Horizon is that they never order enough of them to satisfy the demand when they first come out, so thousands of people end up waiting for backorders! That could be GWS fault too though, since it is up to them to produce enough kits to start with! I will order from Horizon in the future just because of their excellent customer satisfaction policy.
The Blue Max is offline Find More Posts by The Blue Max
Old May 19, 2004, 08:33 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Max
I have had nothing but excellent service from Horizon. The only thing I didn't like about ordering GWS planes from Horizon is that they never order enough of them to satisfy the demand when they first come out, so thousands of people end up waiting for backorders! That could be GWS fault too though, since it is up to them to produce enough kits to start with! I will order from Horizon in the future just because of their excellent customer satisfaction policy.
GWS made production to be delievered with 30~60days. while the others Japanese makers usually took 3~4 months for the similar size of orders.

Many special componets takes 75~120days from Japan parts vendors. But GWS will try to keep a lot of safety stock, otherwise...

GWS products also very confused by Horizon by pending some large qty orders, or even cancled...

GWS never expect to turn Horizon away from GWS products! But Just feel that we can not let HZ exclusive any longer. GWS USA's major mission is need to establish more reginal distributors to serve LHSs national wide in USA flyers demand.

The dealers who direct business with GWS, mostly are professional in E-fly but can not deal with distributors for some personal reasons. HZ do not supply to other on-line shops, or who do not have a store front. Yet they request to open business hours more than ?? per week....
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Last edited by GWS4CEO; May 21, 2004 at 04:59 AM.
Old May 19, 2004, 08:38 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indybudd
No surprise GWS planes are no longer in Horizons junk mail / Air Quarterly flyer.

As you said all the electric planes in it are Horizons own stuff, as they had the US exclusive on the GWS planes they were horizons 'own' planes, but now anyone can buy and sell them.

Why waste the advertising space in your own quarterly flyer on GWS when you can feature planes you do have an exclusive deal on?
In the past 4 years, GWS spend a lot of budget to promote GWS airplanes products on the medias and trade show.

But how many they had done for GWS as they were exclusive distributor?
Old May 20, 2004, 03:43 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
GWS warbirds

I understand completely Mr. Lin, and I am not in any way saying that GWS does not try very hard to offer a product as soon as possible and in high enough numbers to satisfy the demand. I also believe that by having Horizon as your sole distributor you were probably losing some sales! I know I hated waiting almost a year on the delivery of the first Corsair kits and before that I wanted a P51 Mustang really bad, but after waiting over eight months from the time I first heard about the planned release of a parkflyer P51 I got tired of waiting for backorders and scratchbuilt my own!

By way Mr. Lin, do you have any new info on a possible date that we will be able to get a P-38? How about the P-40? I know that the P-38 is supposed to be out before the P-40 but I can't wait to get both of these wonderful warbirds! You sure have found a "niche" in the parkflyer market and I can only say that I am very happy you have, because I can't afford to build and own a .60 powered or giant scale model of every WWII warbird that I have wanted over the years. But with the GWS warbirds I can have a whole hangar full of them to go along with my "slimers and gassers".

Thank you Mr. Lin for making these affordable but very good flying warbirds available in this age of high costs and low wages, and keep those WWII fighters and bombers coming. As long as you do, I guarantee they will be profitable!

How about a P-47 or FW190 or better yet both! A Wildcat or Hellcat would be cool too! I would also like to see a more scale version of the B-17 and maybe a B-24, B-25 or a BF110! Using the EPS350C gearbox/motor with Li-Poly packs you could get a 60"-70" wingspan B-17 to fly very scale like! I think there would be alot of people willing to pay what a foamy of that size and complexity would cost, I know I would in a heartbeat!
The Blue Max is offline Find More Posts by The Blue Max
Last edited by The Blue Max; May 20, 2004 at 03:45 PM.
Old May 21, 2004, 04:01 AM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
One reason for starting this thread was to note that it is publicly 'over' between HZ and GWS (okay, not that drastic).

As for HZ supporting GWS in the past, we've seen GWS go from 2 pages in BigBook of RC v2 to +10 pages in BigBook v3; the last AirQuarterly from HZ has 12 pages devoted to GWS, and it's close to the front of the catalog, just after glow planes. There's even a nice 2 page chart that helps hobbyist and lhs choose the right gear and replacement parts for GWS planes (I've attached a photo of those pages). GWS was featured quite prominently on HZ's website. iirc looking at 2002/2003 SEEF and NEAT videos, HZ bring along and demo GWS planes. I've also wondered for all the magazine reviews we see in the US, does GWS or HZ provide the review kits? Just curious.

Anyways, it's sad to see how HZ seemed to have dragged their feet when getting stuff from GWS; but either way having GWS-USA should be the best news for all GWS fans.
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
Old May 21, 2004, 05:06 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
According to Horizon's information, my first location only 10,000 feet.

This is by far less than the market demand on reality! In the past months that I found out the demand of GWS products is so huge in the USA!

Now I am moving GWS USA to the next facility size by 24,000feet. I know that we need to establish more warehouse pretty soon to catch up of the supply to the national wide distributors and dealers demand for USA.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 04:06 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
GWS never wish to cut the business from our cooperate partners!

You shall see the reality is GWS USA provide the better service for GWS flyers, to help our distributors and dealers less trouble for after service. Technic support to flyers, reduce the load of LHS...

GWS expect there will have more distributors in all the continental USA to carry GWS products.