Zoomzoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoomzoom
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2004, 01:32 PM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Still Flying!

Well, folks, like the Easy Star itself, this thread just keeps on flying and flying.

On my website I've put a video my buddy took of me throwing my EZ* off a cliff. Nice slope site, I guess, but the wind almost always blows the other way. Lucky day.

Short. Abrupt. Enjoy.

No throttle was used in the making of this video.

http://www.bikeabout.net/ZExtra/Vide...oVidIndex.html
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
Old May 18, 2004, 01:32 PM
EasyStar pilot
Cologne, Germany
Joined May 2004
111 Posts
So let's start off with a another short video...
Detract is offline Find More Posts by Detract
Last edited by Detract; May 18, 2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old May 18, 2004, 01:33 PM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Whoo! Video mania!
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
Old May 18, 2004, 02:08 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Great, a brand new thread to fill up!!!
Do you realize we had 500 posts in 15 days???
But this is a very important thread, because it's the thread where Treetop will post his second flight report, and we have to see if he breaks his curse and lands on something that doesn't have branches and leaves...

Nice videos, guys!! Specially the sloping one!
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old May 18, 2004, 05:42 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Rumbling thunder, every day, I guess we need the rain. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old May 18, 2004, 06:02 PM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
Lava...
in your 2nd video....
is that you usual manner of retrieving ditched aircraft? I can see the retrieval line to haul it backup to the top.
Is that you with that mighty SPLASH or do you have a designated plane retriever that you throw off the cliff?

PS I wouldn't dare.....
splash99 is offline Find More Posts by splash99
Old May 18, 2004, 08:24 PM
The Big Guy
Nr Cambridge, UK
Joined May 2004
41 Posts
Now that my EZ* is fixed, I've taken it out a few times and had no more crashes - thanks to TT for a little help with the fix... (only a few days ago, but so far back in the thread now... ).

Incidentally, anyone else ever forgotten the wing spar? I was flying at Sandown in London, and I forgot mine, got to two circuits with a flapping EZ* before I realised what I'd done - very amusing, but not for the faint-hearted!

Jango is offline Find More Posts by Jango
Old May 18, 2004, 08:39 PM
The Big Guy
Nr Cambridge, UK
Joined May 2004
41 Posts
A couple of lame pics - my brother needs a little practice...

One on the ground (compulary popped canopy) - beautiful English sky!

One in the air (I asked him to get a close-ish one )
Jango is offline Find More Posts by Jango
Old May 18, 2004, 08:48 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop
Rumbling thunder, every day, I guess we need the rain. tt
Yes, that worries me because your trees are being watered and they'll probably be more active afterwards and do the extra effort to grab your EZ*...
Old May 18, 2004, 09:14 PM
Missoula, Montana
Joined Apr 2004
11 Posts
I got my Build It Yourself ES* kit yesterday and have started working on assembling it.

Question: How long is it permissible to make the wires from the motor to the speed control if I use 18 guage? I'd rather have the speed control in the cockpit so I don't have to run an extension for the servo wire. Why shouldn't I do this and where else besides in the motor compartment would be a good place that doesn't weaken the foam?

Thanks,
Steve
wyeast is offline Find More Posts by wyeast
Old May 18, 2004, 09:31 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyeast
I got my Build It Yourself ES* kit yesterday and have started working on assembling it.

Question: How long is it permissible to make the wires from the motor to the speed control if I use 18 guage? I'd rather have the speed control in the cockpit so I don't have to run an extension for the servo wire. Why shouldn't I do this and where else besides in the motor compartment would be a good place that doesn't weaken the foam?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve

Almost everybody here runs the wires from the motor to the cockpit. In some cases they are run outside of the paths in the fuselage (like coming out of the motor cooling air intake and going outside the fuse into the canopy) but in most cases the shortest route in the fuselage is used. It is more probable to have to replace the ESC than the motor, so don't bury it where it can't be reached - the motor can always be pulled out if you leave some extra wire (one or two inches) slack in the motor compartment.
Old May 18, 2004, 09:40 PM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
YEAH.
The ESC should always be placed as close to the motor as is reasonably possible. In the case of the EZ*- in the cockpit is quite OK, and you should be able to plug into the RX without any extension.
I placed mine in the top of the Fuse forward of the motor by soldering the motor leads from the ESC directly to the motor.
It would be easy to solder in a short bit of wire to place the ESC in the cockpit. At the risk of boring everyone, here is a pic of my setup -----AGAIN.

Patrick.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Last edited by oldpilot; May 18, 2004 at 09:48 PM.
Old May 18, 2004, 11:12 PM
Allested-Vejle, Denmark
Joined Apr 2004
162 Posts
ZZ.

The tape I was talking about is not like the (for me) ordinary grey duct tape it is called TESA (German product as I remember) thin and the threads are going criss-cross very thight together. Dont know the weight as it is lying at home and I am on the ship??? But I will look in to that when I get home and will then post the weight asking if it is too heavy or not...
was not thinking of covering the entire plane with it though, just the belly, the nose and were the wings touch the gruond.

Oldpilot.
Pictures speek a lot more than words so keep on posting that picture as often as you like, I would think it helps a lot. (I am going RTF but cuold one day buy the kit...) And thanks for the translation now it makes sence.

Wow nuber 6 I am glad that I caught up with this monster at the start of number 5, but by the number of threads/posts it really assures me that I have chosen the right plane to learn on.

Mikael.
pino360 is offline Find More Posts by pino360
Old May 18, 2004, 11:15 PM
Allested-Vejle, Denmark
Joined Apr 2004
162 Posts
Jango.

Nice pictures, do not think they are that "lame" he got the plane in there did he not?
Nice field TT would like... (but probably the trees in the background would suck the plane in anyway... )

Mikael.
pino360 is offline Find More Posts by pino360
Closed Thread