HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2004, 10:43 AM
Zen
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2004
385 Posts
A funny thing happened.....

Ok, so I went in to the new LHS looking for some Dubro stuff for a scratchbuilt I'm playing with, and walked out with a Tiger Moth..lol (this ever happen to anyone?)
Its the Pico version, painted with the IPS drive. I plan to buil it completely stock as I am a raw beginner to R/C flight. I will be using my FocusIII AM radio for the time being. Yes, I KNOW the reciever is heavier than the GWS pico...but its what I have, and not too bad with the case removed. Other components are:
2, 8 gram GWS servos
10 Amp ESC (pixie sized)
GWS 9x7 Slowfly prop
Stock wheels (for now...tho they are UGLY suckers)
7.4v 370mah NiMh bats ( please...NO lipoly comments till I get used to this bird!)
I hope I have as much luck with the TM as the hundreds of you that I have been reading about for the last month!

P.S. I have a trucload of j250's from AE that I will be using in scrathbuilt and kit bashes...anyone ever tried one on a Moth???

Peace and keep up the great work guys,

Stu
zen4013 is offline Find More Posts by zen4013
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2004, 02:23 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
There are many, many GWS TM fans here. You too will love it!
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old May 18, 2004, 03:21 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
sounds cool
hope you like it
i was gonna go with the TM but is saw the estarter and decided to get it becasue i can use the motor etc in other planes of the same size/weight
Tommy
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old May 18, 2004, 04:37 PM
Zen
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2004
385 Posts
Tommy...was a hard decision for me! The E starter was only $39 and the TM was $49......but in the end, I wanted a bipe....have always loved them. AND I hear if you are blind in one eye and dyslexic...you can probably still fly a TM!...<<<is a REAL newbie>>

I'll play with the TM for a few weeks and probably go back for the Estarter later

Stu
Old May 18, 2004, 04:40 PM
Zen
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2004
385 Posts
just an observation...

..OK, call me sensitive. But I have been reading these pages for 3 months, and I notice that MOST newbies who post get TONS of replies and encouragement. I'm wondering why I didnt? Am I posting in the wrong areas?

<<just a newbie that wants to feel the love..lol

Stu
Old May 18, 2004, 05:10 PM
prop hangin it (stock)
Philadelphia Pa/Wilm, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Apr 2004
206 Posts
Heh, good thing I buy my stuff online
joe_d is offline Find More Posts by joe_d
Old May 18, 2004, 05:16 PM
Westminster, California
Joined May 2003
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen4013
..OK, call me sensitive. But I have been reading these pages for 3 months, and I notice that MOST newbies who post get TONS of replies and encouragement. I'm wondering why I didnt? Am I posting in the wrong areas?

<<just a newbie that wants to feel the love..lol

Stu
Ummm...way to go kid...stick with it?

When you're low on encouragement form outside sources, make your own encouragement, it's best in small batches brewed at home.
cdavis is offline Find More Posts by cdavis
Old May 19, 2004, 07:30 AM
Zen
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2004
385 Posts
Thanx for sharing

Ummm...way to go kid...stick with it?

When you're low on encouragement form outside sources, make your own encouragement, it's best in small batches brewed at home.

Thanks cdavis for the warm and fuzzy.... Guess I'll keep my posts to a bare minimum and only about technical issues.
Old May 19, 2004, 11:56 AM
Westminster, California
Joined May 2003
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen4013
Thanks cdavis for the warm and fuzzy.... Guess I'll keep my posts to a bare minimum and only about technical issues.
Didn't mean that in a bad way. Just pointing out that you can't always count on folks to provide encouragement all the time.

Wondering why you didn't get as many replies as you felt you needed is a little "needy". Be strong, and provide most of your own encouragement through an innate sense of pride and accomplishment - that's the best way to go.

As for your starting out in this hobby - keep it up, it's a lifetime of fun and learning new things.
cdavis is offline Find More Posts by cdavis
Old May 19, 2004, 12:35 PM
Moncks Corner S. C.
Joined Jun 2003
1,387 Posts
zen4013 try reading and posting in the TM thread its up to part 16 now.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...18#post2182318
we do tend to get side tracked and talk about other planes but mostly its TM's we love and always come back to.
and yes its a great plane to learn on just dont fly it in any wind at all when first learning how. as for the large rx it shuld be ok the TM has plenty of lift and can take some extra weight.
Mangyrat is offline Find More Posts by Mangyrat
Old May 19, 2004, 12:42 PM
Moncks Corner S. C.
Joined Jun 2003
1,387 Posts
as for the j250's from AE ask in the tm thread i think a few have tryed them, along with other motors "leadkitty i think is useing a 350 in one of her TM's" but most stay stock power. all the advice and encouragement you could ever need on mods and how to fix thing can be found in the thread.
this is a better link for you to start at.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6&page=1&pp=30
Mangyrat is offline Find More Posts by Mangyrat
Last edited by Mangyrat; May 19, 2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old May 23, 2004, 08:52 AM
Southern MA. USA
Joined Jan 2003
623 Posts
TigerMoth

Zen,

Welcome to the Tiger Moth Squadron, you are going to love your Moth, trust us.

You are right about building it stock, Moths fly better when they fly light, but I caution you to read up on some of the TigerMoth how to post to learn about a few mods that are must do, reinforcing the wing struts and the landing gear channel will mean the difference between a great flying bipe and a broken in half plane.

I have three Moths, 'nough said.

Good luck,

Ef
Moe M. is offline Find More Posts by Moe M.
Old May 24, 2004, 09:52 AM
Authorized Self-Portrait?
Greensboro, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,058 Posts
Zen,

Don't get discouraged on the lack of replies, and don't stick only to technical questions. In fact, the technical questions are usually the ones that get an answer and then often die! Look around the forums for the longest threads-many are about controversial or personal opinion-type subjects. Participate/start both types and you will get the most out of this site!

Regards,
Steve

PS: You are not a Wolfpack fan, are you?
kitfoxdrvr is offline Find More Posts by kitfoxdrvr
Old May 24, 2004, 10:03 AM
Crash Test Pilot
Houston, TX
Joined May 2004
105 Posts
Dang, I want a TM. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't have started with one instead of the SS I just started on.

cjmclean is offline Find More Posts by cjmclean
Old May 24, 2004, 10:07 AM
New Providence, NJ
Joined Aug 2002
465 Posts
The TM was the first R/C plane I could successfully fly on my own (I had a flawed fighterbird before that). It's a great plane to start off with and relaxing to fly! It flies nice and slow so that you can get used to throttle, rudder, elevator, etc. It gives you the ability to get more comfortable with flying. Mine has been through several scrapes and crashes.. but it's easy and quick to repair and still flies well to this day! Good luck with the TM. I encourage you to do some of the essential mods (glueing the wings, stronger struts, etc). If you search, you'll find plenty of threads on the TM.
james1787 is offline Find More Posts by james1787