SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2004, 10:03 AM
Känni Perkele
Helsinki Vantaa, Finland
Joined May 2004
249 Posts
ducted fan and carbon fiber fin for ducted fan .. fit= nope..

well just receved a ducted fan and the carbon fins for it from herli hobbie... guess what the fan is much bigger tyhan the hole in the fins made for it lol ... how have u guys fitted this ??? ( i ordered the one for 3cells micros btw) ??

is it worth fitting is it better than a regular tail motor and rotor ??
cormu is offline Find More Posts by cormu
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2004, 10:08 AM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormu
well just receved a ducted fan and the carbon fins for it from herli hobbie... guess what the fan is much bigger tyhan the hole in the fins made for it lol ... how have u guys fitted this ??? ( i ordered the one for 3cells micros btw) ??

is it worth fitting is it better than a regular tail motor and rotor ??
What GWS EDF do you have?
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old May 18, 2004, 11:11 AM
Känni Perkele
Helsinki Vantaa, Finland
Joined May 2004
249 Posts
its a EDF -50B
Old May 18, 2004, 11:17 AM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:
its a EDF -50B
Case closed. The fin set you have is designed for an EDF 40 not the 50. HellHobby has not had the EDF 50 fin set in stock for months. If you want to get the finset for the 50 EDF try www.mjpcarbon.com

HTH - Boyd
Old May 18, 2004, 11:48 AM
Känni Perkele
Helsinki Vantaa, Finland
Joined May 2004
249 Posts
doh ... nice of them to tell us huh

thanks for the advice .. is a ducted fan any better / worse than a normal rotor ?
Old May 18, 2004, 11:57 AM
Joined Sep 2003
90 Posts
Quote:

thanks for the advice .. is a ducted fan any better / worse than a normal rotor ?
Actually, they do. Here's the checkbox from the website:

CF Fin set for Duct Fan - EDF-40 Blue 21.00
CF Fin set for Duct Fan - EDF-40 Red 21.00
CF Fin set for Duct Fan - EDF-40 Yellow 21.00
CF Fin set for Duct Fan - EDF-40 Black 19.00
CF Fin set for Duct Fan - EDF-50 Black 20.00

The bottom one (the EDF-50) is crossed out and you can't order it. Anyway, I'm thinking about ordering one of these myself for my H2 to help with tail strikes. Anyone had problems with them?

Dave
DaveyDave is offline Find More Posts by DaveyDave
Old May 18, 2004, 12:01 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:

For sure sexier Not as efficient as DD though. A necessary thing for scale subjects like an RAH-66 Comanche or a HH-65B USCG Dolphin
Last edited by Hoverup; May 18, 2004 at 12:03 PM.
Old May 18, 2004, 12:27 PM
Känni Perkele
Helsinki Vantaa, Finland
Joined May 2004
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverup
For sure sexier Not as efficient as DD though. A necessary thing for scale subjects like an RAH-66 Comanche or a HH-65B USCG Dolphin
Yum , really nice model , im green with envy , I managed to do a bodge job with the fin set i have for the 40mm fan ill post some pics tommorow, i cut the half the duct away with a dremmel and ca'ed it to the fin .. it still feels mighty hevey though ill test it tommrow weather allowing
Old May 18, 2004, 02:19 PM
Känni Perkele
Helsinki Vantaa, Finland
Joined May 2004
249 Posts
well it works real nice... but do they draw more current ? my batterys seem to last much less suddenlly.. more tests tommorow
Old May 18, 2004, 02:23 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:
well it works real nice... but do they draw more current ? my batterys seem to last much less suddenlly.. more tests tommorow
Which EDF are you running? Do you have a 2s or 3s pack?
Old May 18, 2004, 11:33 PM
Känni Perkele
Helsinki Vantaa, Finland
Joined May 2004
249 Posts
it is edf 50 and 3 cell 10.8v Li-Ion packs usually have long flight times it goes like this firt few mins ok then it gets had to hover .. rest then loads of power again. motor is not getting hot , it is 310 tuning ( orion on its way ) and i is usuing a 8t pinion with free wheel kit. was working fine earlier. .. main motor is only week old and it was run in well.
Old May 19, 2004, 12:21 AM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
two things may be at work. First, Lithium Ion cells really can't support any high current drain like Lithium Polymer can. So if you truly have Lithium Ion packs, they may be toast and it's time to upgrade to Li Poly's. Second if the EDF 50 is not the "H" version meant for the higher voltage that a 3s pack puts out then this is the high current drain culprit in your heli that is killing those Lith Ion's. Check the current draw spec's on the various EDF 50's and you will see what I mean.

Cheers - Boyd
Old May 19, 2004, 03:27 PM
Känni Perkele
Helsinki Vantaa, Finland
Joined May 2004
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverup
two things may be at work. First, Lithium Ion cells really can't support any high current drain like Lithium Polymer can. So if you truly have Lithium Ion packs, they may be toast and it's time to upgrade to Li Poly's. Second if the EDF 50 is not the "H" version meant for the higher voltage that a 3s pack puts out then this is the high current drain culprit in your heli that is killing those Lith Ion's. Check the current draw spec's on the various EDF 50's and you will see what I mean.

Cheers - Boyd
Thanks VERY much for your info and expert advice. today i put me old pro motor and tail roteor back and everything is sweet again on the bad side i dont have that damn sexy looking duct fan that clearlly out performed and kept my tail stedy as a rock I will have to wait itll i can afford LIpos ,
anyway my advice to anyone that wants a duct fan is definatlly worth it but only if you have lipo packs to back it up with

now i can see clearlly the differencr between LI-Ion and Lipo packs ...

thanks again
Old May 19, 2004, 03:42 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Glad to help. Save those coins and get those Lipoly's .........you will love it
Old May 19, 2004, 04:20 PM
Alexandria, VA, USA
Joined Mar 2004
54 Posts
I've got an EDF-50 (normal voltage) on my 2s LiPoly 'Bird. Wonderful tail control, but it took full trim and revo mixing on my TX to stop the thing from spinning. Lots of power.

The EDF-50 is a little bit different than the EDF-40 in that the duct doesn't taper down. You'll have to trim off the lip on the end of the duct to get it to fit into the MJP mounts. Of course, the thing weighs a ton, so you'll probably end up hacking off most of the duct to balance your helo anyways....

Enjoy.

Hopalong is offline Find More Posts by Hopalong