HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2004, 02:25 PM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
Solite vs. Nelson LiteFilm

What is the difference between Solite and Nelson LiteFilm? Are they actually the same product? One vendor seems to say so. If not, which one is better?

Jun Nolasco
nolasco is offline Find More Posts by nolasco
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2004, 02:27 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,163 Posts
Go to Google and search for nelson solite
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old May 17, 2004, 02:35 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Yep it is the same stuff.

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2004, 02:46 PM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
Hmm. So they are the same. Thanks.

I guess the source of my confusion is that I know someone who sells both and has LiteFilm at 27.5x78 and Solite at 27.5x50.

Thanks again.

Jun Nolasco
nolasco is offline Find More Posts by nolasco
Old May 19, 2004, 08:14 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
The only difference is the instruction sheet (the one Nelson puts in - or has put in - is a little more detailed).
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old May 19, 2004, 08:45 PM
Rochester,MN
Joined Feb 2001
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolasco
Hmm. So they are the same. Thanks.

I guess the source of my confusion is that I know someone who sells both and has LiteFilm at 27.5x78 and Solite at 27.5x50.

Thanks again.

Jun Nolasco
Radical RC has both, I could have this backward but the LiteFilm is in larger rolls at a higher price and the Solite is in smaller "flats" at a lower cost. I don't know which is cheaper per sq/ft. They plan to only carry the rolls in the future. If you order a roll of Litefilm your might get either Litefilm or Solite rolls depending on what he has in stock.
RonD is offline Find More Posts by RonD
Old May 21, 2004, 03:22 AM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,415 Posts
Just to add a bit more confusion - or choices - Coverite Microlite, sold by Tower Hobbies/Great Planes is also another version of Solite/Litefilm. It is made in England, weighs 0.6oz per sq/yd, comes in all the same colors and may be more readily available for some.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old May 21, 2004, 05:28 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblefish
Just to add a bit more confusion - or choices - Coverite Microlite, sold by Tower Hobbies/Great Planes is also another version of Solite/Litefilm. It is made in England, weighs 0.6oz per sq/yd, comes in all the same colors and may be more readily available for some.
Didn't know that - great option....

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2004, 08:16 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,605 Posts
If they would make it in orange, they could call it anything they want
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2004, 09:54 AM
Enjoying the good life!
Ashburn, Virginia
Joined Feb 2002
1,941 Posts
I've always thought they were the same product.
Aobid is offline Find More Posts by Aobid
Old May 21, 2004, 09:05 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Not only, but also.

Solarfilm's orginal film - funnily enough called "Solarfilm" has been wandering around the US for years. It's somewhat lighter in feel than Moneykote, and is carried by a couple of MO shops. Balsa USA sell what might be Solarfilm under another name, for one.

Funny thing is, every Solarfilm Sales 'product' comes in vastly different colour ranges. I've often wondered why they don't have a uniform colour range, but that's their marketting weenies for you. Maybe not so critical in an era where thousands of modellers are quite happy to have identical models, but "Solarfilm" comes in some unique colours. Okay, my pink and purple colour schemes are pretty unique. They were originally done in Solarfilm colours before I moved 'over here'.

Now, if they could stick see-through and do some really nice off-beat solids???

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 23, 2004, 02:35 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblefish
No, it's not. Coverlite is like LiteSpan. You have to paint adhesive onto the structure separately (as with Micafilm). See the last bullet point here: http://www.coverite.com/covering/covq1800.html

Note that they quote the weight at 0.89 ounces per square yard - half again as heavy as SoLite. This, of course, doesn't count the Balsarite (or StixIt or BalsaLoc) needed.

If Coverlite handles like LiteSpan it is MUCH fussier to put on (shrinks little).

None of this means that it isn't a perfectly good covering - but anyone buying some thinking that have a SoLite/LiteFilm equivalent will be disappointed.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Last edited by BEC; May 23, 2004 at 02:37 AM.
Old May 23, 2004, 06:26 AM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
No, it's not. Coverlite is like LiteSpan. You have to paint adhesive onto the structure separately (as with Micafilm). See the last bullet point here: http://www.coverite.com/covering/covq1800.html

Note that they quote the weight at 0.89 ounces per square yard - half again as heavy as SoLite. This, of course, doesn't count the Balsarite (or StixIt or BalsaLoc) needed.

If Coverlite handles like LiteSpan it is MUCH fussier to put on (shrinks little).

None of this means that it isn't a perfectly good covering - but anyone buying some thinking that have a SoLite/LiteFilm equivalent will be disappointed.
Please note that I said Microlite, not Coverlite. Microlite IS the same as Solite, I stock it in my retail store. It DOES have an adhesive on one side and Tower Hobbies lists the weight as 0.6oz per sq/yd., NOT 0.89oz.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGDV2&P=7
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Last edited by babblefish; May 23, 2004 at 06:42 AM.
Old May 23, 2004, 08:30 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Yep here is the quote from the tower site.

Quote:
FEATURES: Perfect for all park flyers, indoor models and light fly aircraft
Quote:
Ultra light weight, only 0.6oz (17g) per square yard
Quote:
Adhesive pre-applied to back

Sure looks like it to me! Great to have another source.

Mike
RCG Plus Member