HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2004, 09:27 PM
Joined Nov 2003
16 Posts
GWS receivers – Are they worth the money ???

I just up grade to the GWS Formosa and to save some weight I bought the single conversion 6CH GWS receiver (i have Futaba 7C, ch54).
The result is a lighter plane but vary unpredictable. I have many glitches and I feel that it’s un safe to fly.
Any solution for this problem??
Does anyone using the GWS receiver ???
yshimoni is offline Find More Posts by yshimoni
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2004, 10:12 PM
Burlington,Wi USA
Joined Jan 2000
64 Posts
In our area they are the one most used.
Roger Dorn is offline Find More Posts by Roger Dorn
Old May 17, 2004, 08:07 AM
Joined Jan 2004
72 Posts
Yshimoni

Dump the GWS and buy a Berg. GWS RXs are fine on flying fields where there is no stray signals but it sounds like this is not the case where you fly. I spent 2 months trying every fix possible to cure interference problems with a GWS RX including relocating all components, twisting all cables, redirecting the antenna, adding ferrite rings and finally wrapping the RX and ESC in enough foil as my wife would have used when cooking the Christmas turkey. Since going to a Berg I have had no problems.

Good Luck

Busta
Busta Prop is offline Find More Posts by Busta Prop
Old May 17, 2004, 10:52 AM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,840 Posts
They are great receivers, most problems are cured by shortning the antenna, they are so sensitive that they pick up lots of interference, cutting off some of the antenna is like turning down the squelce on a CB.
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old May 17, 2004, 10:55 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,444 Posts
They are OK receivers - when flying alone or with 1 or 2 other users. I never use them at a fly in or other events.

Berg is rock solid, but more $$.

Don't get me wrong - for my slow, and indoor flyers I use GWS for the price you just can't beat them.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2004, 09:08 PM
Joined Nov 2003
16 Posts
Thanks for replies…

Thanks for replies…

Busta Prop:
Wrapping the RX and ESC in foil and twist the wires will help only if they are causing the problems. If the RX antenna picks up interferences for external source the actual RX design should be improved to filter them out…
But I`m not familiar with “adding ferrite rings”, what are they? How to get them and where to put them??
yshimoni is offline Find More Posts by yshimoni
Old May 19, 2004, 06:51 PM
Joined Jan 2004
72 Posts
Yshimoni - you can get ferrite rings from any radio spares shop. They look like minature donuts and you loop servo leads and ESC leads through them a few times. Long untwisted leads can act as antennas themselves and these ferrite rings stop the signals being fed back to your rx. Search forums like this one and you will find people who swear by them.

On the foil issue, you are right that foil can suppress onboard sources interference but in the same way it can shield components from external interference - and more important it was a cheap test before I went out to buy a new rx.

I hope you fix your problem.

Happy flying - Busta
Busta Prop is offline Find More Posts by Busta Prop