Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 16, 2004, 06:47 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2001
97 Posts
Tri-Slope Six-Pack

I would like to thank Shredair's Dieter Mahlein, Jay Decker and the guys from the Mid Columbia Soaring Club for organizing a great event and for their time and effort.
Hopefully there will be one like it next year (with more wind ).

Neal
ncapener is offline Find More Posts by ncapener
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2004, 06:53 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,062 Posts
Come on stop teasing us....DETAILS!
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old May 16, 2004, 08:31 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2001
97 Posts
I was surprised by the number of pilots (30 or so registered pilots) and the distance they traveled. Licensplates from California, Oregon, Idaho and Wisconsin.
Lift at Kiona was mostly thermals Thursday and Friday.
I left Saturday and I am sure I missed big winds today, Sunday.

Neal
ncapener is offline Find More Posts by ncapener
Old May 16, 2004, 08:51 PM
Friday Harbor, WA
Joined Mar 2001
216 Posts
Hey Neal,

Too bad you missed the big winds but it sounds like you had fun anyway. When you gonna head over this way? It has been pretty good winds for the last month..yesterday was spectacular. You need a fast boat...maybe a 300 horse outboard on one of your kayaks?

MM
Tiramisu is offline Find More Posts by Tiramisu
Old May 16, 2004, 09:49 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,000 Posts
Today looks like it was the day to be there. The forecast didn't look good yesterday. Wish I could have made it just to meet everyone. Had a chance to sneak out to Hood River this p.m. and ripped it up in the strong W wind.

Someone get those event pics and flight reports posted!!!
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old May 16, 2004, 10:47 PM
Knowledge increases life's FOV
Third Stone from the Sun
Joined Nov 2003
1,156 Posts
We had wind on Eagle Butte this morning. The guys who were in the air early had some good flying. However, the wind died just after noon.

Posted the photos I took at the Tri-Slope Six-Pack. I appologize of the quality, I had technical difficulties (could not get the polarizing filter off of my camera and it was overcast). Go to the web site below and click on "RC Soaring Photos".

http://www.monkeytumble.com/

Jay
Sled Driver is offline Find More Posts by Sled Driver
Old May 17, 2004, 07:34 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Sorry you all didn't get more wind! Same thing happened at the Los Banos scale soaring event, not much slope lift to speak of. Talk about irony...some of the most consistently windy places not getting wind for a nice event. The slope gods must be crazy!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2004, 08:45 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Let's see. Drove 600+ miles. One of the sites was unavailable. No DS possible. Weather didn't cooperate - only a few hours of lift Sunday morning.

And I had a GREAT time!!! Dieter, Jay, and the Mid-Columbia Soarers put on a wonderful event. I met a bunch of super people, did a bunch of flying of all sorts - handlaunch thermalling on Friday, mostly electrics on Saturday - with 10 minutes of sloping in the rain for us hardcores who waited until 7:00 pm, and then a few hours of the best sloping I've experienced Sunday morning.

When I got to Eagle at 8:00 am, the first thing I heard was Pat Maher's Blade screaming over my head, followed by a huge WAAAAHOOOO from Pat himself. The man could be in the dictionary under "enthusiasm."

The next two hours were awesome. I flew a Prodij, an Extreme, and then a Tragi 702. I stuffed the Tragi with ballast for the first time ever - and I finally understand why you guys all get so excited about getting heavy!

Almost better than the flying was the watching - Tom Seitz's Mojo howling; Craig T calling "left to right" and then snapping his Stratos back and forth right in front of us; Dieter strafing the pilot lineup with his Tempest; Pat diving his Aldij down almost to the valley floor and then screaming back up; Thomas "Wakumann" flying beautiful four point rolls with his Focus - what a show!

I think an event like that is defined by the people who show up, and this one was crammed with great people and great attitudes. I'm going back next year.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old May 17, 2004, 11:04 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
Sounds like fun--- hey Dieter--- could you move the date a couple of weeks away from the ISR PSS Fest?? Would love to make one of these!!
Tim
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old May 18, 2004, 01:48 AM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2004
1,347 Posts
"When I got to Eagle at 8:00 am, the first thing I heard was Pat Maher's Blade screaming over my head, followed by a huge WAAAAHOOOO from Pat himself. The man could be in the dictionary under "enthusiasm." "

That sounds like the Pat I know. "Epic Morning on Sunday" is what I heard from Pat. Looking forward to flying with him at Blanco in August, YEEEHAAA!!! DSing Rocks!!!

MP
My Precioussss! is offline Find More Posts by My Precioussss!
Old May 18, 2004, 01:39 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,477 Posts
not skunked at 6-pack

I got to fly my 55" 19oz obeechi sheeted Shrike at Eagle Butte on Sunday morning when the wind was up to a medium 12-15 mph. Gotta tell you, I really like the way this little thing flies. Everyone knows that small planes LOOK faster than big un's, BUT, I was keeping up with the 3M moldies and passing the PSSer's.
I can't say enough good stuff about this plane. Sky King is re-releasing the Shrike, I have one on order. You should get one, too!

Hey wait a minute, on second thought, If you all order Shrikes, I might not get mine as soon...forget it, these are not the droids you are looking for...
winchdoc is offline Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old May 28, 2004, 08:22 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,465 Posts
Almost 2 weeks ago
my web provider was s/d
, ...here are some more pictures from the 6pac.
1 The Fox was definatly one of the Highlights
2. Extrem with loose nose cone after start and
3. flightline/ start impression

Thanks again to
Dieter, Jay and the MCS for hosting this event.

Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2004, 01:04 AM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
I drove up with 3 other guys for Sunday, there wasn't lots of wind but there was plenty of lift and I personally had a great time just watching and hanging out with fellow slopers. I did fly a couple times and had a fine time. Flew my Talon once and my ASW-22B once as the wind died. Managed to stay up in what was left of the slope lift and then even found some thermals, had fun hunting lift with another guy who was flying an Airtronics Legend.

This is a great site, really really good and worth the trip.

As a bonus, we stopped and flew at Hood River on the way home, winds there were 15-20 and we had a blast. We couldn't talk anybody else into coming with us, which was too bad as the lift was nice and the Hood River site is lots of fun. Anyways, ditto the compliments to Dieter and the MCS crew for putting the event together, I'll be back!

Also looking forward to Cape Blanco in August, woohoo!

ericm
ericm is offline Find More Posts by ericm
Old Jul 09, 2004, 10:46 AM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
247 Posts
3s6p

This post of mine is a little late but what the hey...

Yes, the Tri Slope Six Pack was fun. I came for the weekend and thankfully was up pretty early on Sunday. Got to the slope and parked next to Pat's rig. Heard him saying "take it all" while he was screaming one of his planes up and down the slope. I could hardly wait to get my gear ready.

I was able to fly my 66 inch Carbon Sparrow, 2M Fox, Stryker slope jet, and Airtronics Legend

Cool that Ericm mentioned the Airtronics Legend! I remember flying with you that day. It was fun squeaking out some of the last good lift that was available. My only regret is landing for the picture. I should have kept flying. Lesson Learned.

Here are a couple of my fav pics that I got. The Modern plane is Jay Decker's (LS4?) and the other one (vintage) I did not get the pilots name but it sure looked good flying in the light lift.

Wish I could have gone to Hood River. The pics you guys have put on the NW slope gathering thread look really inviting!!

Cheers
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini