SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2004, 03:39 PM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Yet another Dave Drive thread!!

OK, here goes; I have spent alot of time on the phone with Dave over the last few weeks regarding his belt drive. I wanted you Guys to know what the status is at this point.

First of all, there are a few reasons for the delays. #1 his day job keeps shipping him out of town for days/weeks on end. #2 his pulley manufacturer cannot seem to get the mold process correct.

Due to these (and other) factors, Dave has only been able to trickle out a few belt drives here and there.

Now, that brings me to the purpose of this email. Dave is now looking at having custom pulleys made to his specs in anodized aluminum, both with oneways and without. This would eliminate the plastic fracturing issues he has been plagued with and it would nearly eliminate his personal machine time. It is also looking like the price would remain roughly the same due to the number of units ordered at once. So, it is looking like a version two belt drive with anodized aluminum pulleys will be coming soon. I have taken up the task of researching the details for him while he is out of town, in an attempt to jump start this whole project as quickly as possible.

On Dave's behaff I would like to say, thanks for your patience in this. Expect more to be posted soon.

Matt.........

Oh, in case you are wondering, I am posting this because Dave's schedule is so tight, he barely has time to breathe right now, let along keep up with the posts!
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2004, 05:58 AM
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Oct 2001
297 Posts
Rock on Dave/Matt! I'll take one. Should look nice with my new CP mode I'll hopefully have soon.

Greg
gregh is offline Find More Posts by gregh
Old May 17, 2004, 08:34 AM
Addicted to flight since 1944
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Thanks Matt for the update. Please keep us posted. I know your tail rotor belt drive was a major improvement for me. If I win the lottery I am going to upgrade to a main rotor belt drive. Will the crooked crutch work with it or does it require a special crutch?
rbrown3rd is offline Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
Old May 17, 2004, 09:55 AM
SoCal
Joined Jun 2002
205 Posts
Matt -n- Dave

This sounds like good news - please keep us posted - I'm down right now due to a fractured belt drive.

-Chris
chrisw is offline Find More Posts by chrisw
Old May 17, 2004, 01:47 PM
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
I will keep you guys updated on the progress. I am sort of taking this project up as a favor to Dave. The orders will still be credited to him.

I am not positive on the crutch compatibility. I know it fits in the Crazy Crutch. However, I have not put one into a Crooked Crutch yet. I did allow room for it (per Dave's specs). But, I still haven't varified it yet. Once I get the new style Dave Drive kits, I will make sure.

Dave and I have discussed much in the way of this project and we wanted to lay something before you guys. The new aluminum pulleys will cost more than the plastic pulleys to make. But, eliminating the oneway bearing would keep the price the same as with the version one ($54). Dave and I have both researched the oneway thing and, personally, I don't like a oneway. Dave is nuetral on it. I have never been asked for a one way with my AXI belt drive.

Do your orders for the Dave Drive pivot on wether or not it comes with a oneway? Dave wants to offer the kit with, or without it. However, much more money outlay would be required to tool up for two different pulleys to market.

What do you guys think?

Matt........

Oh, hey, how does a blue anodized main pulley sound to you!
Last edited by Heli Mod Man; May 17, 2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old May 17, 2004, 02:12 PM
SoCal
Joined Jun 2002
205 Posts
right on - I'm in for a new main drive less the one way...
chrisw is offline Find More Posts by chrisw
Old May 17, 2004, 02:53 PM
Addicted to flight since 1944
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
I am for the new main drive with the pulley made of aluminum. I am hoping it will be campatible with the crooked cutch. I really don't know enough to comment on the one way. I have read that it helps but to be honest I am too new at this to offer any input on it.
rbrown3rd is offline Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
Old May 17, 2004, 03:45 PM
Crash Test Dummy
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Feb 2004
529 Posts
I'm down for the new kit. I've just got my Astroflight motor back from Astroflight and I'm eager to utilize the Dave Drive efficiency with it.
txkawboi is offline Find More Posts by txkawboi
Old May 17, 2004, 04:18 PM
Logo 20/Corona pilot
Chicago!
Joined Jun 2002
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Mod Man
I am not positive on the crutch compatibility. I know it fits in the Crazy Crutch. However, I have not put one into a Crooked Crutch yet. I did allow room for it (per Dave's specs). But, I still haven't varified it yet. Once I get the new style Dave Drive kits, I will make sure.
Matt,

I volunteer my corona for the trial! =)
MikeStammer is offline Find More Posts by MikeStammer
Old May 17, 2004, 04:39 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,488 Posts
Hi Guys. I would definately buy an aluminium pulley without the one-way. I have had several one-ways go on me, and had to return to the gear drive. I would definately go with a fixed belt drive. Thanks Dave and Matt! Count me in!
rob mueller is offline Find More Posts by rob mueller
Old May 17, 2004, 05:01 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Thanks for the Updates!

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old May 17, 2004, 05:14 PM
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Hey Rob,

Good to hear from you! How is you life going at this point? Are you settled in your new pad?

Matt......
Old May 17, 2004, 05:24 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,488 Posts
Life is good.
I had an oops and broke my carbon tail boom (got some kevlar fabric and going to repair it). Get this...it won't be until Oct. when my place is ready. Now that the weather is getting warmer, I may start to live out of a refridgerator box under a bridge. Anyone know what size fridge box will house 11 e-craft and 1 pilot?

Calgary Flames at San Jose Shark tank tonight...Go Flames Go!
rob mueller is offline Find More Posts by rob mueller
Old May 17, 2004, 05:56 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
I cannot see a use for the one-way.
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
Old May 17, 2004, 08:52 PM
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
I am hoping to get this new drive system "Off the ground" soon!

Just remember, this is Dave's puppy. I am handling the development on the new design. But it is still his idea.

Oh, I have heard of a few guys having belt skipping issues under load. So, I have made a judgement call to make the new drive use a 3/8 inch belt, up from the original 1/4 inch (if there is enough interest in it). What do you guys think?

Matt............