HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2004, 11:52 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Joined May 2004
26 Posts
Alpharetta Flying Areas

Anybody know about good places to fly in the Alpharetta area? I'm looking for an indoor site (for my Piccolo) and an outdoor site (for my Hornet II).
kjohnson is offline Find More Posts by kjohnson
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2004, 03:36 PM
North GA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
501 Posts
Can't help you with the indoor site. The indoor group from McDonough lost its site last year and has been on the search ever since. No luck so far.

As far as outdoor sites, there is a great one I've been to. From GA-400, take the exit for McFarland (exit 12), go "west" to highway 9 (I can't remember what that street sign says; some say Atlanta Rd., others Old Atlanta Rd.), go "north" about 1/2 mile, and on your right will be an empty lot with a five-lane road next to it. The red sign at the entrance says Highland Ridge (an industrial park I think).

Quite a few locals have flown at that spot, myself included. It's nice for the HUGE field area and the equally oversized "runway" (though you do have to yield to traffic). Don't count on grass landings, though; virtually all of the field is covered with baby trees and they are mean to airplanes. Also, don't expect too many calm days there. The area seems to have more wind than normal; not much more, but you will notice it.

Hope that helps.

Wings
Wings is offline Find More Posts by Wings
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:50 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Joined May 2004
26 Posts
Anybody know whether it is OK to fly at public parks? I walked around Wills Park yesterday and noticed they had several empty baseball diamonds.

They also have a gymnasium there. If others are interested, maybe we can reserve it for some indoor flying.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 10:44 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2003
209 Posts
Alpharetta flying Sites

Hi...I have been flying for some time at the North Alpharetta City Park, off Windward PKY, Exit 11 off GA 400, going West, turns into Cogburn after a 4-way stop. several baseball/soccer fields. I seem to be the Lone Ranger, nobody else around.

Frank Littleton
770-442-1475
F.Littleton is offline Find More Posts by F.Littleton
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:24 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Joined May 2004
26 Posts
That's just a couple miles away from me. Maybe I'll run into you there sometime--I'll be the one with the crashing helicopter.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:36 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Joined May 2004
26 Posts
I've enjoyed flying in the evenings at Alpharetta North Park for the past couple of months. Unfortunately, this week the fields have been full of softball players. And just when I got a new brushless motor!

So I guess I'll move to Highland Ridge for my evening flying. It was very windy there today, but I was able to fly for a few minutes before my motor pinion slipped off.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:26 AM
Lance
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
I just moved to Milton and fly at GMA in Ball Ground but want some place closer for park and EDF jet flying. Is North Alpharetta Park still good - I notice this is a 6 yr old thread. What's Highland Ridge?
lwalton is offline Find More Posts by lwalton
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:51 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2000
2,049 Posts
Bilieo Park near West of Woodstock is a good place to go in the day.

I belong to GMA too.
RicVaughn is offline Find More Posts by RicVaughn
Old Oct 15, 2010, 08:49 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,784 Posts
I used to do a lot of park flying in Piedmont Park; my love of the hobby has grown along with the size and speed of some of my planes and have all but outgrown Piedmont. Also, too much pedestrian traffic there for safe flying. I will still fly Piedmont, but now only on days after a rain when they have signs up to keep pedestrians on the paths and out of the fields. Usually after a rain, there is no one at the park and it makes for an ideal venue.

For my edf I like Dunwoody RC, but it is not for the faint hearted... we take off and land on a 2 lane street with parking spaces on each side so it is really like a 4 lane street; there are also a few geographic obstacles like one rather large tree right behind the flightline, that no one has ever hit... my biggest problem is a stopsign. I have hit the same stopsign with so many planes on down low passes... argh.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:03 AM
Just Another Heli Nut
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwalton View Post
I just moved to Milton and fly at GMA in Ball Ground but want some place closer for park and EDF jet flying. Is North Alpharetta Park still good - I notice this is a 6 yr old thread. What's Highland Ridge?
North Park in Alpharetta has become a busy place for baseball, cricket and football. Depending on the day of the week and time of day, you might be able to get some flight time in. Can't imagine EDF would be much good.

Highland Ridge has been developed and is no longer viable. It's where the Wal-Mart is located on Hwy 9 just north of Francis Road in Forsyth County.

Another place to consider is Northpoint Community Church on North Point Parkway. Plenty of runway available and usually not too busy (avoid Sundays when its very busy). I fly 600 size helis there on occasion as well as a hand launch Hawk Sky.

Jim
roybob is offline Find More Posts by roybob
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:07 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,599 Posts
Quote:
If you dont mind driving to Woodstock .....we fly on a huge field near 575...perfect for EDF jets. Dont know if it would be any closer than GMA though.
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Jan 30, 2011, 08:24 AM
Lance
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Thanks GolfCraft. That's my old spot - just moved to Alpharetta/Milton from Woodstock. Tell Dave Guy Ryan and Syracuse I said hello.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:34 AM
Joined Jan 2007
6,599 Posts
Quote:
Thanks GolfCraft. That's my old spot - just moved to Alpharetta/Milton from Woodstock. Tell Dave Guy Ryan and Syracuse I said hello.
Hey Lance....this is Greg....dont be a stranger ,come on over to Woodstock and fly...its not that far really. I was out there saturday and the landing area is in real good shape.

Greg
Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:57 AM
Lance
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Greg - I heard the clearing near 575 and Ford got shut down. You guys still at JJ?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:22 AM
Joined Jan 2007
6,599 Posts
Quote:
Greg - I heard the clearing near 575 and Ford got shut down. You guys still at JJ?
Yeah Lance, its been pretty clear lately as they are refurbing the fields....but no problem flying planes