HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2004, 11:31 PM
Just a Great Guy!
Humble, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
117 Posts
Don't know what to call this one.

My buddy crashed his trainer(balsa) and brought me the wing and tail section, both of which are still in good shape. INstead of throwing them away I came up with the idea of making a coro fuselage to put them on. I used the Kwik Stik spread sheeet to get the right fuselage dimensions for the wing size we have and so far it looks pretty good. Weight shouldn't be a problem cause we're putting a 61 on it and I know it's gonna be lighter than original balsa frame.

SO, DOES THIS STILL CONSTITUTE A SPAD? It's partly coro.............
Pics later when I get the fuselage together.

JimRoss
JimRoss is offline Find More Posts by JimRoss
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2004, 08:40 PM
I can TOO fly!
Southern Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
246 Posts
A SPAD is using the materials at hand to build an airplane. Whether wood, plastic, metal or balsa ( ). The idea is simple and CHEEP!

You're good to go.
Spadplanter is offline Find More Posts by Spadplanter
Old May 16, 2004, 09:26 PM
Just a Great Guy!
Humble, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
117 Posts
Now you're chunkin' That's what I wanted to hear. I should have it fairly well along tomorrow when he brings the rest of the building materials over.

BTW, do you think a guy should charge someone for rebuilding their plane? It wouldn't be so bad but the sucker crashed three of them and wnats me to build spads to replace all of them. I think this is pushing friendship a bit too far.
Old May 17, 2004, 11:05 PM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
540 Posts
Hey Jim, This is a good example of when to become the teacher. I would tell him " I'll walk you through this the first time and then you'll be good to go with anything your imagination can come up with!" The guy may just not be convinced he can build a bird that didn't come out of a box.
Jim
mosquitowings is offline Find More Posts by mosquitowings
Old May 18, 2004, 09:35 PM
Just a Great Guy!
Humble, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
117 Posts
Teacher

Well today it happened. The teacher put his foot down. This guy wants to come over to my house and use all of my stuff to build his airplane and then just walk away. Wanted me to give him a sheet of coroplast, use my dowels for pushrods, scarf up all my clevises, etc. etc. Finally told him to load up and make a run on the hobby shop. When he got back he was complaining about how much it cost. Well DUH! Does he think I got it free? He took all his stuff and went home. Probably wont see him again.
Old May 19, 2004, 12:45 AM
I can TOO fly!
Southern Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
246 Posts
He should realize someday that your experience and knowledge was far more valuable to him than some pieces/parts. That E/K was bought at a very high price.
Spadplanter is offline Find More Posts by Spadplanter