Old May 13, 2004, 03:29 PM
Sic Semper Tyrannis
USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Oct 2003
955 Posts
Question
Foam Safe CA... NOT!!

Hey,
I just finished a GWS E-starter using some of the LHS branded, Odorless Smith CA. The kid in the LHS said no problem, will not attack foam - Oh contrare mon frere! It sure does, even when used with liberal amounts of kicker.
I am about to start in on some FFF planes, and want to know - what is the best Foam Safe CA out there?
Thanks
craab is offline Find More Posts by craab
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2004, 03:39 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,917 Posts
I use Flash oderless CA. It's foam safe in my experiance. I've used it to put togather GWS formosas, P-51s and an E-starter. I've also used it on an EAM X-31 (still trying to get the plane to fly well with the limited power of the EDF-50, but my X-31 is perfectly stable right side up). It takes some time for it to cure on depron, but it works. I, however, never use accelerator. In my opinion, if you need accelerator you're either using too much glue, or not using the right kind of glue.

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old May 13, 2004, 03:49 PM
Provo, Utah, United States
Joined May 2002
750 Posts
Doesn't rapid curing of CA (with kicker) generate a fair amount of heat? Maybe the kicker is the problem, not the CA?
utahrc is offline Find More Posts by utahrc
Old May 13, 2004, 04:07 PM
urs
switzerland
Joined Dec 2000
723 Posts
kicker

Hi
be carefull of most activaters ,they will melt the foam by them selves.
Test first ...get a foam safe kicker.
urs ...been there done that...boo hoo
urs is offline Find More Posts by urs
Old May 13, 2004, 04:13 PM
wa state
Joined May 2004
1 Posts
ca fome or not to ca fome

hi just a fast room jump here,u all mite be suprized how your littel plane ar the same as the big ones(u sit in)lol...we glue the fome to fome with epoxy mixed with 200% of what looks like shreded cotton,its cheep,like 2 bucks a galon. and we coat ALL fome befor its coverd with a very thin layer of epoxy mixed with what looks like glass balls,it looks like baby powder. that keeps the fome from geting water logged with epoxy,so it stays very light.when weting out fiber glass(i saw u were haveing some in fly't blow ups)coat the fome wipe off then lay on the bid(glass) wet out,then cover with plactic(clear) we use .3 mill, then with a plastic knife go over the top to get most of the glue out and all the air,u can take all the epoxy out this way so becarful not to,in a short wile u will master it, we do most layup on a table.lay out plactic,then dry bid or uni then plactic on top, then mark with felt tip pen the size we need,lift up top plactic wet out with epoxy ,place per marked plactic back down,squigy it smoth, then cut with razzer or sissers,then pick it up, peel off one side of the plactic and lay it on the plane,and lightly press and wipe,then peel off the top plactic and u done,it fast and most off all it clean, gl fyling your toys,wish i had more time for them,i was a 60 size pipper flyer with a dule sada eng. now...i just play with tha same thing only bigger..4 place 300 mph,1000 mile range..1/4 done 2000 hrs to go....
cozy mark 4 is offline Find More Posts by cozy mark 4
Old May 13, 2004, 04:27 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,917 Posts
The 1 ounce between the weight of using some wacky epoxy concoction and using CA still makes a big difference with our small planes and limited power.
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old May 13, 2004, 04:43 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,879 Posts
even when used with liberal amounts of kicker.

Kicker eats foam unless it is foam safe kicker.
CA can react with various low (high?) PH substances like baking soda/powder creating enough heat to melt the foam.
I read the labels and look for "safe for foam" or "will not attack foam".
Fly on.
Jay.
AirBornOne is online now Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old May 13, 2004, 04:47 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I use either 5 minute epoxy or Pro Bond. I save the CA for balsa and coroplast.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old May 13, 2004, 10:22 PM
Creations Aberration
United States, OR, Newport
Joined Jan 2004
609 Posts
ZAP - ZAP-O-CA+
No kicker required, however while foam safe it will stiffen foam & styrene.
Applied too liberally will cause cracking.
Aethertek is offline Find More Posts by Aethertek
Old May 15, 2004, 12:44 PM
fly it like you stole it
Soldotna Alaska
Joined Oct 2002
475 Posts
I use the smith foam safe CA everyday.... But If I grab the wrong bottle of kicker off the shelf, it turns the foam to a pile of goo... It is not the CA that is eating the foam on you, it is the kicker. The down side is, if you use CA on faom, you darn near have to use kicker or it will take forever to cure.
akflyer is offline Find More Posts by akflyer
Old May 15, 2004, 08:11 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Another Ezoner had mentioned this application and I must say it works great. Take Bob smith foam safe CA or equal, run a bead where you want it take a small pile of arm and hammer baking soda on a paper plate pinch and throw it on the joint. You would not believe how fast it sets up! I just built an entire foamie out of depron using this method. It is just as fast if not faster and no kicker fumes that stuff is nasty! When I first tried the foam safe CA I had to wait all night and then it still did not set up on depron, now I use it on every thing carbon tubes, wing joints, stab connection, ect. Give it a try it works great and its cheap!

POWER
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old May 15, 2004, 11:20 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
i use foam safe CA on all my Bluecor planes .. never had to use kicker .. i glue the joint together then tape for 15 minutes and no problem i use it for the quick set .. then i use probond with water mixed in on the joints inside the fuse .. super strong ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old May 15, 2004, 11:28 PM
Smooth Air
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
Baking Soda and Foam safe CA is what this little beauty is built with...works great and keeps it very very light.

Geof.
Morb is offline Find More Posts by Morb