HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2004, 12:01 PM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
Experienced flyer looking for good E-sailplane in the $150 range

Hello,

I've looked at Hobby Lobby, NE Sail, Esprit Models, and a few other places and found several nice planes in the $150 range and was hoping someone could recommend one that's good quality. I'm looking for some aerobatics, speed is nice, and overall durability. Each vender is partial to their particular models and would really like to hear feedback from the members on this board that have used the product.

I own several park flyers like GWS and Mountain models with brushless setups. It would be nice if I could use my 3 cell Thunder Power lipos in the E-sailplane. I also plan to run a BL setup in the E-sailplane.

Thanks for any help,
Chuck M.
Mac8 is offline Find More Posts by Mac8
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2004, 01:06 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
Lots of options....

Here is a suggestion.
Omega 1.8E.

NE Sailplanes sells them.

I have a 1.5E and love it.

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old May 13, 2004, 01:58 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend the longer wingspan of the 1.8 over the 1.5 Omega for someone just starting out? I also saw these on the NE Sail website:

Electron 400 (Ailerons)
Filip 400RG (t-tail)
Navaho
Omen

So many planes to choose from makes it hard to make a decision.lol
Old May 13, 2004, 02:18 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Have a look at arthobby.com
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Old May 13, 2004, 02:29 PM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
The omega 1.8 is a fine plane, and there are several variants out there. It has a very strong wing. I would suggest it for anyone with flying time under their belt. I see you are from Fla, just a reminder that you should never leave this plane or any molded plane in a parked car for very long. I live in N.Y. and left mine in my car for about an hour while in the LHS and found that the epoxy used in the molded parts of the plane had softened up from the heat and the ailerons warped. I had it in the back seat, tinted windows that were opened slightly.
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
Old May 14, 2004, 08:02 AM
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac8
Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend the longer wingspan of the 1.8 over the 1.5 Omega for someone just starting out? I also saw these on the NE Sail website:

Electron 400 (Ailerons)
Filip 400RG (t-tail)
Navaho
Omen

So many planes to choose from makes it hard to make a decision.lol
For fast, general flying, then go with the original Filip E. It is available with a t-tail, too.
down_shift is offline Find More Posts by down_shift
Old May 14, 2004, 09:20 AM
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
Thanks again for the replies. Is weight a big issue to look toward? I see the Omegas weigh around 18oz. and seem a good match for a small brushless and 3 cell lipos. The Flilip weighs 34oz and the Electron 400 weighs 23oz.
Old May 14, 2004, 09:42 AM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
My 1st e-sailplane weighed a ton....56 oz.

....but it was a sturdy bird!
It is the $120 Kyosho Soarus. A 2 meter "blown-plastic" fuse, foam wing w/ply spar. The fuse tears, does not break like fiber glass. Repairs stronger than new with goop and fiberglass cloth.

If is pretty fast, but will thermal very well also. It comes with a direct-drive sp-600 motor and 7x? folding prop. That motor is a pig. I upgraded to a geared AF 020.

Highly recommend as a 1st "almost-a-warmliner" sailplane. My brother has it now and loves it. My dad bought one after he saw how it performed.

For floating around looking for thermals though I still think the Omega is the way to go. It is a little more expensive, but with a Hacker B40 18L and 4.1 GB ****EDIT: B20, NOT B40****and a matched LIPO pack you will have a great little sailplane.

Pullin'
Last edited by pullin-gs; May 15, 2004 at 04:38 PM.
Old May 14, 2004, 01:04 PM
Gator's here to see you:)
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Sep 2002
227 Posts
I'll second the ArtHobby planes

My Andromeda 2m was $145. Added a mega bl, 3:1gb, 12x7.5 carbon folder 10-1100mah Hecells and it's a dream. Built it a little tough because I wring it out now and then and it's still flying great. Thermals forever and flys right outta my hand on a slight toss. Very predictable flier and Andre's a very nice guy to deal with. (I do not own stock in ArtHobby )

http://www.arthobby.com/gliders.html

Good luck, Gator
gator is offline Find More Posts by gator
Old May 14, 2004, 10:56 PM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
I second the Omega 1.8 It flies great. I also have an Electron 400A (Ailerons) that I bought to replace my Terry Graupner. The 400A packs away in a very small box for travel. The 400a flies very well too

BTW: Pullin-gs where do you Fly? I see you are from Arlington Va.
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Old May 14, 2004, 11:22 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
The Omega 1.5 and Electron 400 with Ailerons seem to be the best in the 150-200 price range. I also ran across the Highlander at Hobby Lobby and that looks like an awesome plane too. Its difficult to make a decision with so many nice planes on the market.lol
Old May 15, 2004, 07:07 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentw
I second the Omega 1.8 It flies great... BTW: Pullin-gs where do you Fly? I see you are from Arlington Va.
I'm his Dad - he flies his bigger, faster airplanes - like the Omega - out here, near union WV. For a look at the terrain, see:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61386

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Last edited by RD Blakeslee; May 15, 2004 at 07:11 AM.
Old May 15, 2004, 07:22 AM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 1999
1,143 Posts
I like the Omega series as well.I would go with the 1.8 over the 1.5 for $20 difference.They are on sale frequently.

Quote:
but with a Hacker B40 18L and 4.1 GB and a matched LIPO pack
I think he meant to say "B20-18L and 4:1 gearbox"
Hammer is online now Find More Posts by Hammer
Old May 15, 2004, 07:34 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
Right, Hammer - I have the B20 18L in my Soarus, but I'm using the VMGM 6:1 gearbox. The Maxon box which is supplied by Hacker is not rugged enough for ol' ground-banger RD.

14 X 9.5 carbon folder prop. A 13 X 11 gets you about 9MPH faster, but less thrust on the low end.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old May 15, 2004, 04:36 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
B20-xxxx....indeed, not B40 :-D

I have one boxed and ready to go. Waiting for Sal to put his 1.8-Omega-E on sale.

Pullin'

Sargentw,

I fly my slower planes (AF010-powered OmegaHLG, PJS300-powered Nemysis, AF010-powered Zombie) in the local larger parks when they are cleared out.
I fly the "heat-fleet" (Mefisto 2M, Twister, Hawk, Bandit) at my home-stead in WV and the CASA field in Rockville, MD.
Where do you fly?