HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2002, 11:31 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,436 Posts
14" Pro Bow foam cutter problems

OK, bought the small 14" Pro Bow from Wing Mfg. Says to use either a 12V battery or a 1 amp charger, manual style( whatever manual style means!). Ran out to Walmart and found a 1.5 amp battery charger. Figured .5 amp can't hurt anything. This is a trickle charger for maintaining your car battery. Says hook it up and leave it on, auto shutoff if battery doesn't need it. Well, I hooked it up to Pro Bow and nothing! The green charging light comes on but the cutting wire is still cool. Could not get it to work. Lifted the hood on my Jeep and hooked the bow to it and it cut fine. Anyone have any idea on what I'm missing here. Have to figure a easier way than lifting the hood everytime.
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2002, 01:58 PM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
950 Posts
pro-bow & battery charger

Sounds like you need to make sure that the battery charger is working - - - maybe you have an extra car headlight you could use to see if the charger is providing current?
PeterH is offline Find More Posts by PeterH
Old Jan 07, 2002, 02:27 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,311 Posts
Some of the new car battery chargers have a circuit that needs to "See" an actual battery before they give output. I've learned that to get them to work as an indoor power supply for my plane battery charger, I "short" a battery across the terminals while the other charger is still hooked up. This fools the circuitry into putting out current and the whole thing works for me.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jan 07, 2002, 10:12 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,436 Posts
Greg and Peter, Thanks for the help. The charger is working. I checked with a battery. I don't have alot of patience so I picked up a used battery and wired the trickle charger into it. It charges the battery alright and will keep it up for cutting. Mounted both on a rolling cart so I can wheel it over to the garage door to let the fumes out. BTW, the Pro Bow works good. Thanks again.
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans